Bilstein 5100 - I don't get it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bilstein 5100 - I don't get it

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bilstein 5100 - I don't get it

Hello, I just installed all four Bilstein shocks because I was hoping for a firmer ride. Don't get me wrong, the ride is much smoother but it still feels soft. I am looking for a stiff ride. Fortunately, I will be able to return them tomorrow (even after driving about 30 - 45 miles with these shocks) but I am a bit undecided if I should do that.

My Jeep is a daily driver and when I go off roading, it is usually rock crawling. Any opinions or suggestions??? If you think I should return them, what do you think I should replace them with? If you think I should keep them, why?

Thanks.

M

digizure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You want a stiff ride? I'll trade you my Rough Country shocks for your Bilstein 5100's, shoot I'll even pay for shipping haha. If you want a stiff ride, throw some Rough Country or Rancho shocks on there as well as some add-a-leafs.

But why do you want a stiff or "firmer" ride? The purpose of shocks are to dampen the ride and make it softer.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I prefer a ride that is less bouncy.
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got some Skyjacker Nitro 9000's on the front. They ride like any other shock. Just look for the cheapest shock you find for the lift you have and you should be good to go.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
mb1440
1995 YJ Wrangler 

DITTO on the trade I to have some Rough Ctry shocks I will trade you and I will pay shipping and throw in some cash.
mb1440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Doesn't it usually take a couple weeks to break in a new set of shocks ?
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
I prefer a ride that is less bouncy.
do you have a lift? if so, that's the nature of short wheelbase and lift kits.

probably, not what you want to hear.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah - I have a 4 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift. My friend has Bilstein shocks with 4 inch lift (no body lift) and they are very stiff. He said he thinks he has oil Bilstein but I don't think they make them do they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.