Bikini top velcro strap repair??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bikini top velcro strap repair???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Bikini top velcro strap repair???

Afternoon gents, Anyone ever successfully sew on new velcro straps to a bikini top??? I traded for a family style bikini and have discovered that it is missing over half the velcro straps.

And advice is apreciated guys. The wife is gonna be pissed.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
95yjbrowny
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fishing line? I sewed my button straps in the back of my soft top with it, seemed to work good still holding up after 2 yrs
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

years and years ago I had some tent straps fixed by a shoe repair guy. Or, maybe a luggage repair. They would have super tough sewing machines.

many, many, many years ago I fixed my sleeping bag using an antique foot powered sewing machine. It had a really thick needle and would go thru anything.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I sewed new velcro on my old Bikini top before I sold it. Biggest regret of my life...I miss that top real bad. Anyway, I used some heavy duty thread that I got at a sewing supply store and it came out great, stronger than before even.

The hardest part about it is finishing the job and then telling people that you actually sewed something with great success so don't gloat about it unless you want to forfeit your man card.
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any upohlstery shop would be able to do it. Most home sewing machines probably won't be powerful enough. I've also used fishing line to fix things like that before with good success, but that's all by hand.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty, I am doing a little soft top sewing myself. Sent the wife to a local fabric store Joannes fabrics i think was the name, she came home with some upholstery thread that is supposed to be really durable and not rot out. Also picked up some uphostery needles, I am just gonna stitch it up by hand, I have to put a small patch in the soft top I picked up. I have done a little bit of car upholstery repair in the past, I hand stitched seat covers for my old neon. Its a bit of a pain but not really all that bad, do yourself a favor and get a thimble to push the needle thru if you are gonna hand stitch it....makes it a little less rough on the hands!

here are the seats that I did, 100% hand sewn....took nearly 40 hours!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Thanx for the advice lilviper95, I am gonna give my brother a call and see what he things. He is a furnature repair tech and does leather/upholstery work.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If I decide to, my brother can fix it up for me.

Unread 05-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have someone local that does canvas tops for boats, you might try them. We have a local guy that is really talented and makes his own bimini (sp?) tops and does all the sewing.
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I sewed new nylon straps to my top last night! I have a crappy low end Singer and it just whizzed right through it, no sweat! One change I made is that I didn't sew velcro straight to the top, I replaced it with nylon webbing that had velcro sewn to them. I think it will be more durable that way. I also reinforced where I stitched the top. Definitely get upholstery thread, the stuff at JoAnn's is ok...although I hate to give them a plug. You might be better advised to get upholstery thread from a upholstery supply shop. If you don't have one, I could grab a spool for you and send you some. If you sew it by hand (DON'T do it!) definitely use a thimble.
Good luck!
Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obcean2 View Post
I sewed new nylon straps to my top last night! I have a crappy low end Singer and it just whizzed right through it, no sweat! One change I made is that I didn't sew velcro straight to the top, I replaced it with nylon webbing that had velcro sewn to them. I think it will be more durable that way. I also reinforced where I stitched the top. Definitely get upholstery thread, the stuff at JoAnn's is ok...although I hate to give them a plug. You might be better advised to get upholstery thread from a upholstery supply shop. If you don't have one, I could grab a spool for you and send you some. If you sew it by hand (DON'T do it!) definitely use a thimble.
Good luck!
Where did you get the webbing with velcro in it already??? Or did you sew it to the webbing then to the top??

Unread 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty,
I went to...gag....Wallyworld and bought a couple of lengths of black velcro for 1.18 each and sewed them to some strapping I got at either REI or JoAnn's. Don't get the adhesive kind, you will never, ever sew through it; either by hand OR machine. It goes really, really fast, I promise. I tried just sewing the velcro strips back on, but the velcro ripped after one trip on the freeway....it was just too old and weathered. Better to cut it ALL off and start over. Do you want pics? I could take some...I am doing a friend's top,too. Oh yeah...you MIGHT want to consider using a denim needle or one size smaller. The denim needle is heavy enough to handle the vinyl top, but it might make holes bigger than you like. The upholstery thread is SUPPOSED to swell and fill the holes, not sure I believe that, though.
Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.