Bikini Top Puddles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bikini Top Puddles...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-19-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Stiffler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bikini Top Puddles...

Is there a way to tighten the -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= out of the bikini top so it doesn't puddle up in the back two corners of it? I've had thunderstorms twice this week and it's puddled up on me....Also, I bought the dust cover and windjammer last week, the dust cover came yesterday and it seemed a lil big? is that normal? it doesnt stay under the side channels on one side too well. and how well does the windjammer seal inbetween the dust cover and the bikini top?

Unread 05-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
YJ4x4on35'z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler
Is there a way to tighten the -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= out of the bikini top so it doesn't puddle up in the back two corners of it? I've had thunderstorms twice this week and it's puddled up on me....Also, I bought the dust cover and windjammer last week, the dust cover came yesterday and it seemed a lil big? is that normal? it doesnt stay under the side channels on one side too well. and how well does the windjammer seal inbetween the dust cover and the bikini top?
With my dust cover, i had to keep the frame for my original top on but in the down position so the dust cover goes over it. mine is really tight. As for the top, mine does it too. if it's going to rain and i remember, i stand a broomstick on my center console to raise the center of the top high enough to let water run off.
Black Jeep Club Member #1
2.5 w/211,000
94 Jeep YJ (AX-5/Atlas II)
4.56 gears
4" suspension lift/3" body
35X15X15 Boggers
15X10 REAL Beadlocks (Axis X-treme)
Warn rear bumper w/rear tire carrier
ARB air lockers (Front/Rear)
Pacesetter exhaust/Header
ARB snorkel
AGR heavy duty steering box/pump
Flaming River steering shaft
Dual optimas
Mean Green alternator
Warn 9000xi winch
Four Real front bumper w/skid plate & 6 Hellas
2 windshield mount Hellas
"Outta Control Off-Road"
YJ4x4on35'z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
Stiffler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i was going to ask if that was a good idea but i didnt wanna seem hickish....
Unread 05-19-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
94YJ_FL

Here is my solution... about $2 at lowes.

Link

If you make one, make sure the pvc creates a bow (obviously), put it on, and then put on the bikini. I have yet to have water collect anywhere since it's been on.
Unread 05-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
acejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YJ_FL

Link
Did the same but painted PVC black so it blends in. Works great and doesn't look too funky.

Ace is the Place.................
Unread 05-19-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Stiffler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice got the measurements for me?
Unread 05-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Link

If you make one, make sure the pvc creates a bow (obviously), put it on, and then put on the bikini. I have yet to have water collect anywhere since it's been on.

What's the best way to create the "bow" effect? I really need to do this, too

Thanks for the tip!
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
94YJ_FL

Don't have any exact measurements since I just eyeballed it. Just get a piece that is about a foot wider than your bars and take it home with you. Go out to your Jeep, just think about how much bow you want and hit it with the hacksaw until you get it the way you like it.

After you cut it and have the t-connectors on there, let the bikini spread it out when you tighten down the straps on it. It will wedge in nicely. As for making it blend in, I got pipe insulator and wraped it... it blends in perfectly with the underside of my black bikini, as well as giving it some extra diameter down where it meets the t-connectors.
Unread 05-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #9
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ever have it snap out of place? I was thinking about doing the same for my soft top (only side to side instead of front to back) mainly to keep it from flapping so mush in the wind with a window open. I just don;t want it to snap outta place and whack me in the noggin'....
BuffaloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
94YJ_FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloYJ
Ever have it snap out of place? I was thinking about doing the same for my soft top (only side to side instead of front to back) mainly to keep it from flapping so mush in the wind with a window open. I just don;t want it to snap outta place and whack me in the noggin'....
Never even had it move even an inch... It's warm here in FL and go most of the year without doors and only the bikini; no problems, no flapping noise either, not even going down the freeway @ 85mph.

Mine is side to side as well BTW.
Unread 05-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloYJ
if you're really worried about that, why not make it teliscoping? two pieces of pvc slid into one another with a pin to fit a matched hole near the end of each half (just like a tent pole or something). pull the pin and it collapses in half so you can store it in the back. then you can just put it up when you park somewhere. puddles don't form when you're driving.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
jeepin_6337

As soon as I read this post I ran out to Home Depot and got all the needed supplies. I too have been burned by the post-rain bikini top swimming pool more than I care to remember. Everything went together in about an hour, and I just wanted to give props to 94YJ_FL for his outstanding idea. I'm almost looking forward to the next rainfall to see how well it works.
MORE no-lift greasables, 1" BL, 1990 rollbar
33x12.50 retreads/steelies, Herculined
AtoZ rockers, no sway/trac bars, 40mm "console"
jeepin_6337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
wazzufox00

This looks kind of cool but its a bit pricey.
http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/newproducts/Skid-Row/
1994 YJ , 35" MT/R's Xtreme Alloy 15x10, 4:56 gears, 4.5" RE suspension, 1.5"shackles, 1" body, Banks Power Pack
Locked up D44 in the rear, 7" monitor GPS and DVD Player (I travel across the state monthly)
It might look like a pavement pounder but it will run with the big dogs.
Upcoming Mods:
TJ Flares
Warn spare tire carrier

2001 F350 , 8" Fabtech suspension lift, 38" Toyo MT's on 18's, Banks Power pack stage 6, 4 Fosgate 10's, three monitors, and a trailor to pull the jeep
wazzufox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #14
acejeep

Quote:
Never even had it move even an inch... It's warm here in FL and go most of the year without doors and only the bikini; no problems, no flapping noise either, not even going down the freeway @ 85mph.

Mine is side to side as well BTW.
Ditto In Florida run year around with bikini. I did glue(Plumbers Goop) some foam about 6" wide to the top of the PVC to distribute the load on the top rather than have it beat a hole through the top (where the PVC & top touch) found it really wasn't that necessary.

Also built same for tonneau cover.

Don't miss those cold showers one bit.
Unread 05-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #15
94YJ_FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejeep
Don't miss those cold showers one bit.
I just remembered one of my future projects the other day when it rained. With only the bikini on, no doors... in a shower, where do I get wet??? ...from behind, lol. I need to fix something up to keep the rear drip, off the bikini, from being blown back into the front, on me and my windshield.

(I have a windjammer... but hate having it on)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.