bikini top install??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bikini top install???

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

bikini top install???

i know this is probably the dumbest question ever asked in this forum, but how in heck does a best top bikini top go on? I took my hard top off to carpet it, and redo the gaskets. I am hearing reports of scattered thunderstorms, and I dont want my seats all wet. A bikini top came with my yj, so i decided to put it on. but for the life of me it doesnt seem to work right. does the long middle strap go in the front or back? and if it goes in the back, where does it attach? also, how does the front secure if it goes in the back? this would seem really easy, but i am thoroughly confused. i tried it both ways with the long strap up front attached to the hood. it doesnt look right, but if i switch it around, the front of the top doesnt attach, and it seems like it would blow around while driving. like i said, dumb question, but how does this thing go?

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It needs a windshield channel in front.

Go get a piece of plastic, quick!
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimsurf View Post
i know this is probably the dumbest question ever asked in this forum, but how in heck does a best top bikini top go on? I took my hard top off to carpet it, and redo the gaskets. I am hearing reports of scattered thunderstorms, and I dont want my seats all wet. A bikini top came with my yj, so i decided to put it on. but for the life of me it doesnt seem to work right. does the long middle strap go in the front or back? and if it goes in the back, where does it attach? also, how does the front secure if it goes in the back? this would seem really easy, but i am thoroughly confused. i tried it both ways with the long strap up front attached to the hood. it doesnt look right, but if i switch it around, the front of the top doesnt attach, and it seems like it would blow around while driving. like i said, dumb question, but how does this thing go?
Haha sorry had to laugh just a wee bit at attatching the strap to the hood.

Like posted above you need the windshield channel. The top fits in a little groove there. The long strap loops around the main hoop (in the back) and then runs forward to the attachment point on the inside of the windshield.

I'll go take a quick pic for you. Brb.

Cheers

EDIT: Here's the pics
Channel. Mines pretty bent up, I have a new one sitting inside I need to swap out....

Inside:

There ya go. Hope that helps.
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i figured i would get some laughs. its my first time. i knew it looked funny. hey i was always told the dumbest question is the one not asked. my only other problem is i have 2 6x9s mounted to the wheel wells, guess i gotta cover them with garbage bags. thanks for the help tho.
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so does the channel go on top of the bikini top? just making sure. i googled it, there is some drill in ones, and no drill. which one do i need? i never had one with my other yj, i just went naked. my favorite choice on and off the road.
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Jeep-1995
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimsurf
i figured i would get some laughs. its my first time. i knew it looked funny. hey i was always told the dumbest question is the one not asked. my only other problem is i have 2 6x9s mounted to the wheel wells, guess i gotta cover them with garbage bags. thanks for the help tho.

image-3074746286.jpg

image-553859071.jpg

image-1518607248.jpg

image-483794232.jpg

image-432206650.jpg

image-3382617448.jpg

Hope the pics help make sure u have the front piece to attach the front
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The bikini top at the end opposite the end with the straps gets fold over 3/4 to 1 inch so that will fit inside the channel you put on top of the windshield. since you have a hard top you should get the one that gets screwed to the windshield. The reason is that way you can take the screws out and then you can install your hardtop.
stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info guys. guess i gotta order something else for this thing. still waiting on my high lift jack, a wheel thats back ordered till next month, and my front frame cover. and of course it was absolutely gorgeous yesterday and in the 70s, thunderstorm last night, and another one today and i wasnt home to put my top back on. so i have it on now, not bolted or even fitted right, doing it by yourself sucks! but at least it will work for now and stop the puddles from forming in my jeep. till tomorrow when i pull everything out and let it dry. thanks for the help guys.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oh yeah, and i think the rain may have smoked my deck. oh well, sirius is still ok. gotta love having a jeep!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.