Bigtime oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bigtime oil leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-19-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Thomas

Bigtime oil leak

well to start off i havent been here too long but i always get help when i do
heres the problem i had my jeep parked for a month er so to do some body work on the rust. now shes finally done and take it for a cruise when i see its leavin puddles of oil where ever i go. its leaking from the bellhousing and also the base of the tranny, so i check the data base and talk to a few guys and conclude that its the rear engine seal. my only question that is it possible for the oil to travel down the tranny from the rear seal?? i was pretty sure it was engine oil and not tranny oil comming off, but how can i tell fer sure. any help is graetly appreciated before i continue on the rear engine seal.
thomas

Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
1987-YJ

Let me start out by saying I'm NOT very engine smart to say the least! I was have the same problem and decided to change out my old plastic valve cover for an aluminum one. This did the trick. Not more leaking! Not sure if yours will be as simple.

[ ]IIII[ ]
1987-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:27 AM   #3
93 Blue Demon YJ

Yep...Its the rear main seal. The oil leaks where the engine and transmission meet, and runs down the bellhousing. The bellhousing is empty, except for the clutch. I tried to replace mine when I put in a new clutch, but we didnt have the right tools to get to the seal, so mine still leaks, but its not very bad. I dont even have to add any oil, as long as I change it every 3K miles. Its a pain to replace because you have to separate the engine and transmission, and to do that at home is not fun. If you do it at home, it will prob take a weekend, but will only cost you about $10. If you take it to a shop it will probably be somewhere in the $250-$500 range. If you even think you may need a new clutch, I would reccomend you do it then, they shouldnt charge you much at all since you have to take it off to get to the engine. Sorry its not good news, but good luck.
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

same problem i changed my valve cover and gasket also..did the trick
Unread 06-20-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
RodeoRob

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Thomas:
<strong>my only question that is it possible for the oil to travel down the tranny from the rear seal?? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, when you drive and air starts blowing under there, oil is going to travel down and rearward from its origin.

Is there any oil in front of the bellhousing? or is that were it starts? if there is oil in front of or on top of the bellhousing, its possible it could be a oil sending unit... those things can gush when they go bad. Otherwise, I agree, rear main seal.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 09:02 AM   #6
RichardL

What engine do you have in your jeep? If it is the early 4.0 it has a two piece rear main seal that can be replaced without disconnecting the transmission. The rear main seal itself costs about $15 and the oil pan gasket about $20. When you buy the seal, ask for the rear main seal for a '94 Wranger 4.0 and INSIST on the "double-lip seal." The single will leak and you will be doing the job again.

Before you decide that you need to replace the rear main seal, be sure that it what's leaking.

The way I do it is to first degrease the entire engine by going to a coin operated car wash and using the engine degreaser function. Spray it all over the engine and trans. Let it sit for two minutes and rinse it off. Bring a screwdriver, a rag, and some WD-40 in case your engine won't start after the wash. If the sides and bottom of the engine are not squeeky clean, repeat the process. Investing a couple of dollars on starting with a clean engine will save you hundreds, literally.

Drive it home and get under the jeep immediately, looking for the source of the leak. Look on both sides of the engine block all the way up to the valve cover. Pay close attention to the valve cover gasket, the oil filter and adapter, and the oil pressure sending unit.

If you have oil leaking from the rear of the oil pan and the bell housing, it may be leaking from one place, but then draining down and side-ways to the low-point at the rear of the oil pan. One way to pin-point the source of the oil is to use a few wadded-up paper towels. Jam them at key spots under the items I told you to watch, and above the oil pan corners next to the trans, and one jammed up between the oil pan and bell housing right where the rear main seal is.

Drive the jeep up to freeway speeds to get the oil pressure up, then bring it home. Pull out the swabs one at a time and inspect for fresh oil. They may turn a little brown due to heat, but they won't catch fire. The source of wet liquid oil should be obvious. Don't forget to remove all of the paper towels after the test.

If you are totally afraid of the paper towels catching fire, I have heard that athelete's foot spray powder can also be used to show the source of leaks.

Godd luck
RichardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
Thomas

thanx for all the replys guys.
its a 88 auto and according to my haynes i do not have to take out the tranny. i sure hope this is correct because ive already gone ahead and bought the seal from canadian tire and the oil pan is almost out. i am quit positive that it is the main seal according to your guys responces.
If it is a the oil sending unit where would it be leaking from? i sure hope i havent started to fix the wrong thing...the only reason i think of this is that it was leaking quite badly . Any ways it is the 2 part seal that i picked up. what exactly has to be done in order to get the old seal out and the new one in? in the haynes manueal it says to use a brass punch. will this work well ? any other methods would be great to have in mind before i get to it.
thanks alot, thomas

i know i always jump into projects before i know for sure what im doin.. im young and inexperienced
Unread 06-20-2002, 03:47 PM   #8
Thomas

oh by the way it is a 4.2L
Unread 06-20-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

Before you start replacing gaskets. Look into the oil sender unit which i believe is on the right side of the engine. Had a similar prob on my 95 2.5 and spent I think $20 on a new oil sender unit.
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:44 AM   #10
RodeoRob

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Thomas:
<strong>i sure hope i havent started to fix the wrong thing...the only reason i think of this is that it was leaking quite badly . </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't discount the oil sending unit. Those things can leak really bad too! In my old Mazda, it would pump out about a quart in the first 5mins of running due to a bad oil sending unit. They're cheap and easy to replace, so i'd definitely make sure before you go into the time intensive work of replacing the rear main.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 08:11 PM   #11
Mikein

Just replaced my rear main seal... Pretty simple job. I did have trouble getting the top seal out. It eventually came but a buddy gave me the idea too late to run a small screw into the old gasket and pull it out with a pair of pliers. I think that would have been pretty slick.
Jacobs Mileage Master.
Mikein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
RichardL

When dealing with the upper seal, be very careful not to damage the crank with screws, pliers, or punches.

Nick the surface there, and it will chew up the new seal that that you install and you will be pulling your crank to fix it, turning a small job into a big one.
RichardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 01:06 PM   #13
Thomas

well i still havent had time to replace the seal yet. im in the middle of exams at school. (still in high school) right now its sitting with the oil pan off in the drive way. i know it isnt the sending unit , you guys said its next to the distributor? the leak ive got is much farther back. i had a friend check it out he was positive it was the main, so ill finish the job by tuesday or wednesday hopefully
thanx fer the help guys
Unread 06-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #14
jz

I have a similar problem, anyone have a part number for the oil sending unit?
jz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.