Bigger Radiator? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bigger Radiator?

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Lou, sorry to hear about the problems.

How old is the radiator cap? Honestly, I doubt that it's the problem, but it never hurts to throw a new one on.

As you know, mine doesn't give me any problems at all (my '92 also has an 8274 mounted the same way but with the added restrictions of a CJ grill); however, mine is a multi core (custom built radiator with brass ends) and a 4 banger. Even with a single core and the 6 cylinder, I just don't see the 8274 making "that much" of a difference. I've run these winches on CJ's with single cores and V8's and not had problems. Sure, it's blocking some air, but it shouldn't be enough to cause the problems that you're having.

My initial thought (because it doesn't heat up on trails or in town) was a water pump. Since yours is new, I wonder if you might have either a catalytic converter problem or maybe even a head gasket issue? If you're having a loss of power, I'd lean toward the cat.

I also can't help but remember that your floorboards got hot (crazy hot) while you were pulling the trailer while relocating. This could also be a symptom of a clogged cat (or even a section of crushed pipe) ...of course, the heat could have also caused a head gasket to fail.

I wish I could be more help. I feel like I've just sent you down more rabbit holes. If it were mine doing this, I'd throw a new cap on and check for crushed sections of exhaust pipe. If nothing changed, I'd pull the winch and monitor it. If it goes completely back to normal, I'd get a multi core radiator. If it's still running on the warm side, you know you've got a problem. At that point, I'd probably throw in a new water pump, thermostat (the thermostats with the safety hole seem to fail more often), and radiator (I'm assuming that the water pump and radiator are both under warranty, so you'd just be out the cost of coolant and the thermostat). If it's still acting up, I'd pull the cat and throw a straight pipe (just temporarily for diagnostics) in it's place. Somewhere in the middle of all that, it'd probably be prudent to look for signs of a bad head gasket.

Cooling problems can be a bear to track down. Good luck and keep us posted.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Man....looking at that pic, I still think the winch is the main culprit. Around town, the fan sucks the air around behind it, but at top speed, all that area forms a low pressure area behind it as it forces the air up and to the sides. Take it off temporarily and do a hwy lap and see for sure.

The hood louvres won't interfere with your hi lift as they don't belong up there. They go down in front just behind the radiator. Open your hood while the fan is blasting. Feel with your hand at hood level for the strongest hot air blast....that's where you cut your mounting holes.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just for experiment sake, before you unmount the winch, take off your headlight bezels, and do a hwy lap like that and see if you get cooler temps.

If you could pare down the winch mount frontal area, and relocate the electric box, that will help a little.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My son had over heating issues on his TJ. We kept flushing out the rust in his system, but the radiator was too clogged. So we replaced it with a bigger Full aluminum radiator 2 3/4 off of eBay for $155.00 shipped. It was a tight fit, but his doesn't budge over 190 on the highway now. I have the M8274 winch on my YJ and it sits at 210+ on the highway at 70 mph. I think I'll be swapping to a bigger radiator soon.
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also you shouldn't use silicone as a gasket for your water pump or your thermostat neck. Always use a paper gasket. The excess silicone can travel through your system and get trapped in your radiator and cause some clogging in the cores slowing the water flow down. I don't know anyway of getting it out.
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I also should mention I want to have A/C as well. I just need to have it filled. With that in mind I think a bigger radiator is necessary and a decent one at that, not the Autozone special.

Any recommendations for a 3 core brass radiator?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #22
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Aluminum cools faster than brass.... eBay. $158.00 free shipping, 2 3/4, 3 core radiator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271538176511
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a single core spectre radiator but i'm running the Jet 190* thermostat and a GMB high flow pump. My engine never gets over 195* and thats in central texas heat. Stock fan
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Aluminum cools faster than brass.... eBay. $158.00 free shipping, 2 3/4, 3 core radiator.

It can cost you more than that for the tow home if you put a branch through the rad off road... At least a brass and copper rad can be trail fixed. We do week long deep bush runs and it is seldom that someone doesn't need a spot or two of solder, including a tree right through dead center on one.

He and a buddy if he has one would be wasting a vacation day getting a new aluminium one on each of those trips.

When mine was getting on, I took it to a local rad shop and had it recored. They used different shaped cores and fins and told me I should get a 20% improvement in cooling. According to my temp gauge, they were right too. I have a warn HS9000i winch with 2 Hella black magic lights on the top of the fairlead. A fair blockage....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #25
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Time to chop out the frame crossmember and sink that winch down between the frame rails. I sometimes forget how big the 8274 is, and the huge mount plates don't do you any favors either.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198
Aluminum cools faster than brass.... eBay. $158.00 free shipping, 2 3/4, 3 core radiator. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271538176511
No it does not. Brass and copper both absorb and transfer heat at a much higher rate than aluminum does. The thermal conductivity or heat transfer rate of brass/ copper is 92% versus aluminum which is approximately 49%.
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #27
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have room for a 3 row? I have a two row and the water pump bolts are thisclose to the Taurus housing.

I get hot on the highway sometimes going up a long hill and kick the fan on high, which does help.

Normally there is no need for a fan at all at freeway speed but I think with the turbulence caused by the winch having the Taurus running full blast probably does a good job at steering the air in.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #28
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj1994 View Post
No it does not. Brass and copper both absorb and transfer heat at a much higher rate than aluminum does. The thermal conductivity or heat transfer rate of brass/ copper is 92% versus aluminum which is approximately 49%.
The correct order is:
Diamond (fastest)
Copper
Aluminum
Brass
Steel
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The waterpump is a new one I got that fits a Cherokee. It has a flat flange for the waterpump pulley giving me more fan clearance.
This interests me. You said earlier that at higher speeds, you heat up, yet under the same ambient temps you are fine crawling.

I'm wondering if the blade pitch of the XJ Water pump as well as the Circumference of the flat flange water pump pulley are the issue.

At higher RPMS constantly, you may be not moving as much fluid due to the blades spinning too fast if the pulley is smaller than your stock size, even by just a 1/4 inch. This would be a benefit at lower rpms or short bursts of rpms while wheeling, but a definite drawback at higher speeds.

You may just be causing your cooling system to become less efficient at sustained high speeds - ie, not moving enough fluid. If your impeller is spinning at a rate that, due to it's pitch, creates a situation werein you are at low operational efficiency, the liquid doesn't move well.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #30
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Just for experiment sake, before you unmount the winch, take off your headlight bezels, and do a hwy lap like that and see if you get cooler temps.

If you could pare down the winch mount frontal area, and relocate the electric box, that will help a little.
I may relocate the solenoid box but I most likely won't take the winch off unless I plan to do work on the front end. It's not my daily driver and I rarely go on long trips but I don't want to be hindered at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post

I thought about aluminum but I would prefer brass. I've had to pinch and crimp brass cores before and it barely leaked afterwards. I don't have experience with aluminum but I feel it may not have the same qualities depending on the heat treatment of the metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Time to chop out the frame crossmember and sink that winch down between the frame rails. I sometimes forget how big the 8274 is, and the huge mount plates don't do you any favors either.
I'm debating this. I just need to figure out what to do with the steering box. Maybe build around it and see if the winch will fit in between. I don't see a need for it to be dead center, just close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Do you have room for a 3 row? I have a two row and the water pump bolts are thisclose to the Taurus housing.

I get hot on the highway sometimes going up a long hill and kick the fan on high, which does help.

Normally there is no need for a fan at all at freeway speed but I think with the turbulence caused by the winch having the Taurus running full blast probably does a good job at steering the air in.
I have an XJ pump with the flat flange which gives me about an inch or so more than the stock YJ pumps. If push comes to shove, I can trim the shroud thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
This interests me. You said earlier that at higher speeds, you heat up, yet under the same ambient temps you are fine crawling.

I'm wondering if the blade pitch of the XJ Water pump as well as the Circumference of the flat flange water pump pulley are the issue.

At higher RPMS constantly, you may be not moving as much fluid due to the blades spinning too fast if the pulley is smaller than your stock size, even by just a 1/4 inch. This would be a benefit at lower rpms or short bursts of rpms while wheeling, but a definite drawback at higher speeds.

You may just be causing your cooling system to become less efficient at sustained high speeds - ie, not moving enough fluid. If your impeller is spinning at a rate that, due to it's pitch, creates a situation werein you are at low operational efficiency, the liquid doesn't move well.
As far as the impellers between the two I'm not sure. As for the diameter of the outside pulley's, I believe they are nearly the same. The main difference being the pushed out center of the YJ one. If I could find a smaller pulley that would fit it would increase my rpm's but I may be better off getting a high flow pump if I want to pursue that path.

Something else that came to mind, I have a Taurus fan that covers 85% of the back of the radiator with the bottom 3-4" with no fan coverage. I may try to find a Mark VII fan or Volvo fan and get it to fit the entire backside. See below.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.