Bigger Radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bigger Radiator?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bigger Radiator?

I did some searching but didn't find an exact answer and wanted opinions anyway. I took my jeep down to Savannah this weekend from Raleigh where it was mainly interstate. I was going 70-75 mph consistently and my Taurus fan was running the entire time and I had to keep the defrost on low to keep the engine from running over 230F. If I went over 65 mph the temp would creep up to 230 and if I didn't turn the defrost on it seemed to keep creeping. On the way back I hooked the high speed circuit to the low temp switch (Beck-Arnley switch) to keep the high speed on all the time but still the same result.

Now the background info. I have an M8274 sitting on my bumper blocking all that air. I also run a single core Autozone radiator. I installed a Taurus two speed fan which is controlled by a Beck-Arnley temp. switch plumbed into the top radiator hose. My question is should I look into a 2 or 3 core all metal radiator for added capacity or try something else to help keep the engine cool?

I might also add that my gas tank was high pressurized after I replaced my filler and vent hose. It wasn't on the way back and today I saw the side of the tank had gas on it so I may have blown the top seal for the sending unit.

On top of all that, my new external slave clutch was fading right when I left Savannah.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia

Last edited by Louie4; 08-25-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: radiator, cooling, M8274
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone tried those hi tech coolant replacements to lower temps? I think water wetter claims you'll run at least 10 degrees cooler by adding it to the coolant, an there's stuff that replaces all the coolant.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not a good trip, sorry to hear. I'm running the Champion 3 row and notice the difference, that said this will be the first season in the desert so I'll know more when I do some slow speed crawling out there. What I noticed is as the thermostat opens my temp gauge drops quick and slowly builds to running temp. I feel the extra capacity and more rows allow the tank to cool the coolent more efficiently.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by langwilliams View Post
has anyone tried those hi tech coolant replacements to lower temps? I think water wetter claims you'll run at least 10 degrees cooler by adding it to the coolant, an there's stuff that replaces all the coolant.
Yes. I used Water Wetter back when it first came out - back then it came as a pink solid, not a liquid, lol. (I buy it now in liquid form.) I also had an after-market water temperature gauge that was much more sensitive than the stock ones. Water Wetter certainly works. It seems to work really well at releasing heat once the airflow increases.

Will it work with a single-core radiator that doesn't seem to be getting enough air? Perhaps not.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The winch blocking the airflow may be hurting your cooling capacity. The Taurus fan wasn't doing didly at 70 mph, except possibly blocking more airflow. How old is your water pump, and thermostat? A rotten impeller, or thermostat partially closed, restrictions from that fan switch being in the upper hose, collapsing lower radiator hose or your radiator is getting crusty inside. Single row radiators are fine if you don't have something blocking airflow, or restricting coolant flow. If your rad is not new, and you need to replace it anyhow, get multiple cores. If its recently new, going to multiple cores will just mask the real problem.

Water wetter does work, but is just a bandaid in this instance.
It's really made for something that needs every ounce of cooling capacity for competition, like a baja racer. Your vehicles cooling system should be more than enough if its all working properly.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It runs cool when crawling and driving around town and I run a plain 195F thermostat.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

need a bigger radiator or the radiator cleaned then. the winch is probably blocking a lot of air so try riding with out it some day
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
It runs cool when crawling and driving around town and I run a plain 195F thermostat.
Yeah, you got high speed airflow, or coolant flow issues.

Read your profile. Lots of lift and weight, big tires, not a whole lot of gearing. You got lots of heat to dissipate at 70-75 mph. I would try de-mounting the winch and see if that makes a difference.

Got pics of the front of your grille, and the back of your radiator?

Also, how old is the stuff that moves or restricts your coolant flow?

Does your lower hose still have the spring inside?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjxD0Ha-mw
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you looked at the poison spyder hood louvers? They allow the hot air to go out the hood and allow a better flow of air.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hood louvres is always a good idea. Mopar sells some that open and close automatically and seal out water for around $20 each
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a grille pic. I'll reply to all the comments shortly.
image-1685734063.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
need a bigger radiator or the radiator cleaned then. the winch is probably blocking a lot of air so try riding with out it some day
I've had many radiators. This is the 3rd Autozone replacement and I know it's clean both inside and out. The M8274 I got this past spring and my engine did OK without it but the temps would still get a little over 215 or so on the highway in the summer. But then again, I didn't make a 5.5 hour trip in at highway speeds in the summer without it that I can remember. I mainly rode in the fall and spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Yeah, you got high speed airflow, or coolant flow issues.

Read your profile. Lots of lift and weight, big tires, not a whole lot of gearing. You got lots of heat to dissipate at 70-75 mph. I would try de-mounting the winch and see if that makes a difference.

Got pics of the front of your grille, and the back of your radiator?

Also, how old is the stuff that moves or restricts your coolant flow?

Does your lower hose still have the spring inside?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjxD0Ha-mw
I have 33's the 4.0L and 4.10's which is putting me not far from stock in terms of rpm. I run about 2700 rpm's going around 70 mph on relatively flat roads.

The grille pic is posted above. The radiator is very clean mainly because it's fairly new. The waterpump is a new one I got that fits a Cherokee. It has a flat flange for the waterpump pulley giving me more fan clearance. The thermostat is new and has a small bleeder valve. The Taurus fan still works good. I know for a fact removing the winch will make it run cooler but I would like to keep it on and try to add cooling capacity. Also, I put a stainless steel welding rod that I curled up in the lower radiator hose a while back to make sure it wasn't collapsing under high rpm's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Have you looked at the poison spyder hood louvers? They allow the hot air to go out the hood and allow a better flow of air.
Yes I have. I will have to see if I need to relocate my Hi-Lift jack because it is most likely in the way but it's definitely an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Hood louvres is always a good idea. Mopar sells some that open and close automatically and seal out water for around $20 each
I may explore this idea if I can keep the Hi-Lift where it is for now.

I think the real question I should ask is, will getting a higher capacity radiator with more cores give me the extra cooling I need? As said before, I have the lifetime warranty Autozone single core special with plastic caps.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes--also, in order to free up some air movement real estate, others have also relocated the winch control box to under the hood. It's not much, but it helps.
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawdude View Post
Yes--also, in order to free up some air movement real estate, others have also relocated the winch control box to under the hood. It's not much, but it helps.
I think that will be the next step once I find a welding shop that can make me some leads. I have some 1/0 welding wire as of now and it works great.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the champion 3 row as well and it keep it cool. Your winch cover a lot more than mine. I also have good heat in the winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.