big reds Custom dash build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > big reds Custom dash build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

big reds Custom dash build

Figured Id post some pics up of my new Dash for my 89 YJ. The jeep I picked up was rolled and the dash and all its gauges were trashed.. besides I hate the YJ dash looks and problems.

I emailed Dan at double D Fab and to my surprise recieved a phone call pretty quickly. After spending a few minutes on the phone with him he seemed to have a really goos idea of what I was looking for. By the time I made it backhome I had a E-mail with this waiting for me

after a few more emails I pulled the trigger and it was a go.

Heres how it looked when it arrived.

I was able to pick up a Autometer Speedo, water temp volt meter relatively cheap. Speedo has 0 miles on the odometer. I bought a 5" mathing tach and the correct ohm gas gauge for a YJ sender. Here it is mocked up in the tub with all the indicator lights and switches added

Sent it out to a local powder coater who gave it a coat of high zinc primer followed by a layer of black textured finish

I installed a EZ wire harness into it and ran all my gauge and indicator wires to 4 weather pack connectors. All thats required to pull the das off is remove speedo cable and unhook the 4 connectors.

Made up the mounting brackets for the gauges out of some aluminum flat stock. Speedo took a few tries. I also started working in the wiring.

I got every thing but the lights wired up.. forgot to take some pics of it.

Heres what she looks like finished.

88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that looks pretty freaking sweet! Can't wait to see some pics of it fully installed.
My only question is why you chose to have the tach/speedo in that location and not straddling the steering wheel?

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the speedo and the tach with out measuring any thing on a whim. Once I got them home and messed around with a flat dash I had I realized the 5" tach would have not fit and look right on the left of the wheel. If I would have got the 3.5" tach it would have fit but I don't like the look of different size gauges. If I could do it again I would use the smaller speedo and tach and 2-1/6" gauge instead of 2-5/8's it would have cost me less for the tach, oil pressure, fuel level and clock plus it would have cost less to have the dash made since they are angled and needed a different size tubing for them.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. He did this one for my buddy a few months ago for his CJ7 he's been building as a DD. He does nice work and will literally do whatever you want from what I've seen.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I like the maltese cross' in it. Are they for the speakers?
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup.. Maltese cross's are for speakers
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Must stop looking at this thread........temtation is a very bad thing............
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly the price for the dash from double was pretty reasonable. It's a very good option if you need to replace your dash for a safety issue like gauges not working. Wink wink. Check out their website. They make a really cool yj dash too.

http://www.doubledfab.com/

Obviously the more gauges you put into it the more its gonna cost for the gauges and dash since more holes need to be cut out. But it will be nice to know that if my fuel gauge stops working it is either the sender or gauge and not some crappy connections from the factory. With exception the the speedo all the rest of the gauges are electric. For the speedo a Cj speedo cable fits between my 231 and the mechanical speedo in my dash.
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great man. Bet it comes out stellar.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a place to get those gauges at a more cost effective rate?
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For cheaper gauges you have to just look around. I got my speedo, water temp, amps, oil pressure and a smaller tach for $200 off Craigslist. Theres also companies you can buy whole sets from for around $500, check with amazon and they can be found around $250-300.. just keep in mind you get what you pay for and fuel gauges are not one size fits all.
Heres some pics of todays progress.
Dash veiw from the drivers seatish area.

Got 3 of 5 weather pack connectors done. Ive got one left for grounds and one for my fan kill/warning light

I just need to wire up the lights for the gauges.. unfortunately the sockets with the old gauges were brittle and 2 broke so I ordered 4 new ones today. The clock was also ordered so by next week I hope to have the dash 100% complete.
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
I bought the speedo and the tach with out measuring any thing on a whim. Once I got them home and messed around with a flat dash I had I realized the 5" tach would have not fit and look right on the left of the wheel. If I would have got the 3.5" tach it would have fit but I don't like the look of different size gauges. If I could do it again I would use the smaller speedo and tach and 2-1/6" gauge instead of 2-5/8's it would have cost me less for the tach, oil pressure, fuel level and clock plus it would have cost less to have the dash made since they are angled and needed a different size tubing for them.
Ah gotcha.
Man it's looking so killer though. I love the look of it, especially your integrated switch panels with indicator lights. It looks really, really *****en!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any pictures of this finished? I am going to go "CJ" style on my '91 project so I am looking for things to think about... Still a long ways off but I am thinking that I am going to get one of those repop CJ "all in one" speedo/gauge sets if I can find where I saw it- it had tripmeter and tach all in one gauge (with all the other CJ-style idiot lights, fuel and temp gauges) and looked very retro (I liked it).

Anyway, I was going to make my own dash but the Double D Fab stuff seems very reasonable in price and I can get a nice locking glove box Thank you for the thread. Useful!

edit: Ya, this was a good read and thought provoking. I think one of the DoubleD dashes with some custom features is a good way to go- not only a locking glove box, but it would seem I could get a "second" glove box door and lock up the tunes and CB. Nice daydreaming on a vaca day in the middle of winter...
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for not replying sooner.. Been really busy. It's. It been installed yet. Life keeps coming before jeep time. I was planning on putting a days worth of work into it today but I have to help a buddy with his jeep. I have no regrets about the double D dash. One single gauge would definitely be easier then the way I went and free up a ton of room. Just make sure that the fuel gauge is the correct ohms for the tank sender.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.