Big Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Big Problems

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-16-2001, 07:52 PM   #1
shea324@aol.com

Big Problems

First off I gotta admit that I don't know much about engines. So heres my problem: When driving at most speeds while applying gas, i hear a sound like air being pushed through a small hole. But if i let off on the gas, the engine quiets down again. I am slowly loosing coolant (I don't think I have any leaks) and the exhaust constantly blows a thin white smoke.

I think that my head gasket is damaged, which would explain why I am loosing coolant right? and that could also explain the noise - which sounds like air being pushed through a small hole. Am I right so far?

If this is the case, does it need replacing? will it get worse? will it damage the engine? How hard is it to fix? What would it cost of I took it somewhere? and how hard is it to remove the head from the engine block?

Any help would be appreciated... Im screwed aren't I?

Unread 12-17-2001, 06:24 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

sounds like a head gasket check your oil for water just pull the dipstick out and see if it looks milky or has a funny color.Being its a four cyl the cost of a head gasket and having the head milled should run you between
260.00 to 400.000 bucks.The reason i give this price is if you live in a big city most times you pay more than if you live in the sticks..Hope this helps.
Unread 12-17-2001, 07:42 AM   #3
shea324@aol.com

Thanks for the reply but $260 - $400? I got 2 quotes: $580 and $660!!! and the first one was just some guy with a shop down the street. #2 was a chrysler dealer. geez $260, I would give that and girlfriend for a night to get this prob fixed.
Unread 12-17-2001, 09:34 AM   #4
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll do it for just the Girl Friend! Any pics?

~RýCK

Just kidding. You can get it down here locally in FL for around $300. So keep looking.
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:56 PM   #5
IBjeepN4mud

Hey if you have tools you can do it your self. It's really not that hard. Just get a shop manual and it will show you step by step on doing this.
Unless if your like me, and don't have the time.
4th jeep ??????????? Still looking
IBjeepN4mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.