BG 44K or Seafoam? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BG 44K or Seafoam?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BG 44K or Seafoam?

On my BMW forum there is a thread about BG 44K, but I am unsure of its effectiveness... Has anyone ever used this product on a Jeep? If so what did you think? It seems easy to use as you just add it to the gas tank when the gas light goes on... what about seafoam?

I actually trust this forum more... so I look forward to the responses.
Jay

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I actually prefer the B12 chemtool. It works the same way, you just pour it in your gas tank. The stuff that Lucas makes is also a very good additive. What are you using the additive for? Are you just using it as a fuel system cleaner or are you trying to get something different out of it?
Corpus89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am not using it for anything... I was just wondering what the purpose was and if its useful for an overall healthy Jeep (or any other car for that matter).

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If your just putting it in there "just because" I would go with lucas myself. I think its called upper cylinder lube, i think. It comes in a small round bottle and it should be about 5 bucks. I use it in my wifes car when we make long trips and its usually good for 3 or 4 mpg or about a 10% increase. Seafoam is mostly used as a cleaner when something bad happens (water in fuel, old fuel) things like that. And the other thing you mentioned I have never heard of and that is after managing parts stores for over 8 years.
Corpus89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lucas= Tune up in a bottle
Thats what I use as well.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Every product sold in the US must have whatís known as a Material Data Safety Sheet, or MSDS for short. If you google BG 44k, Seafoam, or any other similar product along with +msds (meaning "bg44k +msds") as the search argument you will find that they all contain two or more of the same chemicals: Naphtha (a solvent), Isopropyl alcohol (a solvent), and mineral spirits (a solvent.)

Hereís the MSDS for BG 44K. Note that it contains up to 70% naphtha:

http://www.bgfleming.com/products/msds/208.pdf

You can buy a gallon of liquid Coleman lantern and camp stove fuel (128 oz) at your local hardware store for about $12, which is 100% naphtha (check the MSDS.) You can buy eight ounces of mineral spirits at your local grocery store for about $3. If you want to get 8 oz of 97% ISP itís in you grocery store for about $1.

Simply add 4 oz of each to your engine by whatever method you choose and achieve the same results as much more expensive branded products. If you google diesel fuels including MSDS in the search argument, youíll find that they contain a lot of naphtha as they run so dirty, so thereís your primary solvent.

Simple, effective, duplicative, and cheap.

Take care.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^^ Good to know ^^

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
kevinseven_2010

Bg44k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus89YJ View Post
If your just putting it in there "just because" I would go with lucas myself. I think its called upper cylinder lube, i think. It comes in a small round bottle and it should be about 5 bucks. I use it in my wifes car when we make long trips and its usually good for 3 or 4 mpg or about a 10% increase. Seafoam is mostly used as a cleaner when something bad happens (water in fuel, old fuel) things like that. And the other thing you mentioned I have never heard of and that is after managing parts stores for over 8 years.

This is because BG44K is not sold in any parts houses, its sold by mechanics, and has been proven to improve rough idling by cleaning the entire upper end of the engine. Granted this product has better effects than Lucas and SeaFoam, it also costs quite a bit more, but it does a lot better job as far as the internals of the engine are concerned. I had a problem with a 1989 that two cylinders were running low on compression (bad rings) and hesitated, but if you ran 44K through it, it ran just as smooth as if brand new (it only had 130K miles on it)
kevinseven_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • seafoam in TB? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (60 replies)
  • Seafoam - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • seafoam - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (37 replies)
  • Seafoam ????'s - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • Seafoam - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.