Bfg km2.. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bfg km2..

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThis is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry but it'll take 2 sets of x-terrians to match one set of km2s since they wear out so fast and come on mud grapplers... I bet thornbirds could be the only upgrade from there.

I ran km2s for a longtime in everything possible except deep sand and they hooked up well. On the street they were quiet, round and grabbed in the rain/snow. Only issue I found was a somewhat weak sidewall when aired down below 10psi. But any radial tire would have had the same issue. As far as not cleaning in mud a set with less than 50% tread was able to conquer this mud hole made up of motocross track slop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVQoK_SVcg

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I've got KM2's as well. They work a lot better than the AT's that came off, off road. I got stuck a few times in muck where the bogger tired trucks didn't. I've only got ~8k on 'em on the street, where they live a happy life. Way quieter than the original MTs I had on my old Jeep.

Would buy again. Good compromise tire.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
Sorry but it'll take 2 sets of x-terrians to match one set of km2s since they wear out so fast and come on mud grapplers... I bet thornbirds could be the only upgrade from there.

The Xterrains wore better (milage wise) than the KM2's did. The KM2's where also better maintained. The Xterrains just had more uneven wear from not being rotated properly (Directional tire)

Comparing Mud Grapplers to Thorbirds just shows your ignorance and lack of ability to inteligently discuss tires. I bet you read that on the enternet or heard your friends uncle didn't like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
But any radial tire would have had the same issue.
You hear this alot when KM2 owners mention short comings of the KM2. Sorry to break it to you, but not all Radial MT tires have weak sidewalls and not all Radial MT tires suck on wet, snowy, and icy roads like the KM2s do.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Nitto mud grapplers are some of the worst tires I have ever seen. Ever. I was side by side with a brand new rubicon and my km2's grabbed the rocks where his nittos forced him to lock the rear axle. Yes it was the same line and yes we were both running 35's.
I'm not making any claims for or against them on rocks.

I see more mud than rock. I'm not talking mud pits and swamps. They strugled on virgin wet soil. There is no comparison between the two. The Nitto's will walk through wet off camber areas where the KM2's had to rely on momentum to keep from sliding side ways. The Mud Grapplers will let go of chunks of mud at slow rolling speeds where the KM2's would need higher wheel speed and spinning tire/breaking traction.

The KM2's lack of sipes and squared tread blocks offer very little on wet, snowy, and icy roads. The Mud Grapplers do have sipes, the tread blocks very in size and shape and the alternating tread pattern does offer good wet, snowy, and icy road performance. I assume the alternating tread (side to side) is also responsible for them maintaining lateral traction.

After the miles I've put on them both I truelly hate the KM2.

The KM2's where by far smoother, quieter, and more comfortable on the street. I didn't buy an MT tire because I wanted a smooth quiet ride on the pavement though. I bought them because I needed an MT tire that performed well in the mud and offroad. The KM2's did not fullfill that need.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE

I'm not making any claims for or against them on rocks.

I see more mud than rock. I'm not talking mud pits and swamps. They strugled on virgin wet soil. There is no comparison between the two. The Nitto's will walk through wet off camber areas where the KM2's had to rely on momentum to keep from sliding side ways. The Mud Grapplers will let go of chunks of mud at slow rolling speeds where the KM2's would need higher wheel speed and spinning tire/breaking traction.

The KM2's lack of sipes and squared tread blocks offer very little on wet, snowy, and icy roads. The Mud Grapplers do have sipes, the tread blocks very in size and shape and the alternating tread pattern does offer good wet, snowy, and icy road performance. I assume the alternating tread (side to side) is also responsible for them maintaining lateral traction.

After the miles I've put on them both I truelly hate the KM2.

The KM2's where by far smoother, quieter, and more comfortable on the street. I didn't buy an MT tire because I wanted a smooth quiet ride on the pavement though. I bought them because I needed an MT tire that performed well in the mud and offroad. The KM2's did not fullfill that need.
You have to be a troll, I cannot take this post serious. I have ran Nitto Mud and Terra Grapplers and they both suck at nearly everything. They wear like soap and the Mud Grapplers require a lot of power to spin because they're so heavy.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The KM2's run very short,if you want 33" tires gotta buy 35" KM2's,if you want 35" KM2's better buy 37 KM2's.

In colder weather they have zero traction on the rocks and even less with a little mud/snow mixed in.My buddy has them on his Jeep which is pretty much setup identical to my Jeep and he couldn't hang with my MT/R K's,even when he had both ARB's engaged and I stayed open/open.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My KM2's clean themselves so well that I regret taking my rear fender flares off. In florida here those things plow through the mud and the swampy areas but I could see how they may clog in some bama clay mud which probably any tire would do. As for wear, I've had the 35's on my DD YJ for 2 1/2 years and still have significant tread left. If you rotate them regularly, you'll have very low road noise too. I'm going to get em again when they wear out bc they feel like an all terrain on the road and behave like a swamper in the mud.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The KM2's run very short,if you want 33" tires gotta buy 35" KM2's,if you want 35" KM2's better buy 37 KM2's.

In colder weather they have zero traction on the rocks and even less with a little mud/snow mixed in.My buddy has them on his Jeep which is pretty much setup identical to my Jeep and he couldn't hang with my MT/R K's,even when he had both ARB's engaged and I stayed open/open.
34.5" for the 35" km2's. its hardly worth going to 37's which are actually 37" tall.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
34.5" for the 35" km2's. its hardly worth going to 37's which are actually 37" tall.
Not even close.My buddies 35x12.50x15 KM2's on a 15x8 rim at 27psi are only 33.25" tall.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can measure mine when I get home. Psi is relative though, its gonna be way lower offroad and you are going to inflate or deflate based on the choice betwixt axle tube clearance or contact patch. It may be comfy at 27 psi (I run 26 more or less) but that isn't the recommended pressure for road use, just the adjustment for comfort. No tire is going to be the advertised height with the weight of the vehicle on it. However, I still believe its a good tire and despite the size grievance, I would buy another set.

Also I couldn't find a set in 37 12.50 for a 15" rim. Anyone got a link?
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All BFG's are known to run short in certain sizes.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
All MFGs vary, somewhat like how TVs do. FWIW, the websites of all the different tire MFGs list actual tire sizes for each size class.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like mine, good road manners no problem cleaning them out they pull good but like everyone else said they run small. My 37's measure 35 1/4 and narrow. I could only find 37's in 17" wheels. You have to remember there will always be a compromise, good onroad manners will not be as great off-road. A km2 wont pull like a bogger but a bogger wont handle on road like a km2
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #29
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Methinks I'm a little confused by this statement.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I can measure mine when I get home. Psi is relative though, its gonna be way lower offroad and you are going to inflate or deflate based on the choice betwixt axle tube clearance or contact patch. It may be comfy at 27 psi (I run 26 more or less) but that isn't the recommended pressure for road use, just the adjustment for comfort. No tire is going to be the advertised height with the weight of the vehicle on it. However, I still believe its a good tire and despite the size grievance, I would buy another set.

Also I couldn't find a set in 37 12.50 for a 15" rim. Anyone got a link?
Max psi is 35 on the 35x12.50x15's.You don't need max psi unless your towing 15,000lbs otherwise you wearout the center tread and really have no traction.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.