Beyond cheap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Beyond cheap?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Beyond cheap?

So the Jeep I brought back to life this spring (after sitting for 8 years) lost the 4WD because the engaged side of the CAD vacuum motor rusted out. Now the one in my old (parts) jeep had a bad diaphragm so I had made a home brew cable actuator. Honestly, it was a PITA and left me without 4WD a couple times when the cable slipped off, so that was not an option. So after breaking three bolts removing the rusted out one from the new Jeep, and armed with the modded one from the parts Jeep, I was too damn cheap to just drop that $75.00 on a new vacuum motor! I tore them both down, opened up the vacuum can with the failed diaphragm, and the rusted out one. I took the good diaphragm from the rusted out one and installed it into the solid one from the parts Jeep. I then put it all back into the New Jeeps housing. I even cleaned it up and gave it all a new coat of paint!

Now the broken bolts had me bummed, I need to drive it to work! I soaked them in PB blaster while I did the work on the CAD assy., and then went out there with a hammer and vicegrips. The heads had broken off due the the corrosion from the aluminum CAD housing, but had left maybe a 1/4 sticking out. To my amazement, they walked right out easy as could be! I stole the bolts from the parts Jeep and bolted the "Yankee-built" CAD back in place... works like a charm and was a free fix!

I still have to pull the yoke off to fix the blown seal so I can use 4WD on the road this winter, but I have it for traction now! I puked out all my gear oil when I accidentally left the transfer-case in 4HI and the axle not locked... Never felt it in 4WD, but that old seal just could not take the 15 min highway trip and is junk. The good thing is that it does not leak if left in 2WD.

So... and I a cheap bastard or what?

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, time is money so you could have been a tad cheaper by simply pulling the e-clip on the cad shift fork, engage the cad, and slide the e-clip back on (perminantly locking the cad...) Sure the front driveshaft would spin all the time but otherwise you end up with a 4wd setup where when you pull the stick, your in... No other moving parts required.

Good work though! Didn't know swapping the diaphragm was that easy! Sure as heck better than $75 for a new one. Should serve as good info for spare parts mechanics like us down the road! I love when people use their heads to solve a problem rather than just throwing parts at their vehicle just to see what sticks!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran my old one that way for a while and had bad drive-line vibes. The vacuum motor was easy enough to open up, it's just a crimped flange. With the vacuum motor out, and the canister opened up, the shaft and diaphragm just slips out. I don't think replacing a bad rubber diaphragm would be worth it, but one "might" be made with an old truck inner-tube. I am just not sure how much luck you would have getting the washers off the shaft to replace it.

But all the same, I am very happy, and the dash light even works!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.