Beware: Advance Auto Parts/ATK Spartan - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Beware: Advance Auto Parts/ATK Spartan

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
kodiakkris400
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, I feel your pain. I to USED to shop at absolute automotive peril aka advanced auto parts. After replacing a clutch master 3 times, then pulling the tranny and doing a whole clutch cause the slave blew. The master was leaking AGAIN. So I replaced it again. A week later the slave blew out. All this was within a month. I called the store and spoke with a very good employee of theirs I had gotten to know and told him it was all coming back, including the latest master cylinder because it was only a matter of time. He agreed and said it would be no problem. A couple days later I get it all back apart and go to the store with all parts and recites in hand. The "manager" gave me one hell of a hard time telling me I put it in wrong or something. After a few choice words and informing him a employee had already ok'ed it he put his tail between his legs and returned my money and made the comment that he and his employee would have a talk about company policy. Unfortunately for him I called corporate and informed them of the ordeal and of how great their other employee is. All in all the manager got fired and the employee got a raise... to manager. I'm glad everything worked out for the kid but it turned me off from ever returning. Ide rather drive 20 mins to another store than go to advanced which is a stones throw from my house.

kodiakkris400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

im glad that he called. i hope you get the money back that you deserve.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to get an ATK until I started poking around on Jeepspeed's forum. ATK is their main sponsor. I posted on there about ATK engines quality and recieved 3 pm's from JeepSpeed racers/owners telling me to stay the **** away from ATK. They cant publicly say anything against them on the site as they are a huge sponsor, but had had horrible experiences with them. One being a 1700 class guy bought the supposed ATK performance JS specific engine and blew the top end up within a month. Opened it up and they had reused half the stock components (instead of replacing) where it had been advertised that the top end was redone using all new performance components.

Im now considering getting one shipped from Portland Engine rebuilders. If you read Bricktop's build thread, he got a stroker built by them and its done awesome. I called them and spoke with someone(his name escapes me now) for about half an hour about the ins and outs of the rebuild. I have talked to several local shops, but his knowledge and and attitude has convinced me to freight one across the country when I replace mine. Even with coast to coast freight, a 4.0 from them is still cheaper (and a ton better) than an ATK plus freight.

**** Advance. They always give me crap in there because Im young. Dont try and sell me some 400$ performance distributor when all I ask for is a new cap and rotor.

And if the Jeepspeed guys are getting screwed by ATK, Im sure they treat their regular customers just as bad.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Note to self: Never buy an engine from advanced nor autozone.

Sorry bought your issues that really sucks the big one!
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to hear things are moving along. I had a similar issue with a built shortblock I purchased. Ended up fighting with them for 6 months before I got it resolved. Sounds like you did better than me.
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
roklok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

?
roklok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #37
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roklok View Post
Don't ever buy a radiator at Advanced Auto Parts. I work there part time as a parts delivery guy, and we have nothing but problems with our radiators.
I'd disagree (I work for a subsidiary of AA - API). I bought a radiator from 1-800-Radiator for my Durango. Spacing was bad on the mounts to the tune that my fan wore a perfect circle in the middle of the rad until it leaked. So we bought out one from Advance - no problems since.

I think radiators in general can be troublesome. Think about it, it's all 1-800 does, and theirs was wrong.
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #38
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I work part-time at NAPA as a parts delivery guy and bought a radiator from 1-800-Radiator and have not had any problems with it. Just shows that you can get bad radiators from anyone.
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #39
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your check is in the store on Friday, and all of Robert's promises have been met, make sure to send him an e-mail thanking him for his effort. Be sure to cc anyone above him.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #40
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The check was there on Friday as promised so this is the last post. As long as this engine holds up for the warranty period that is...
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #41
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Remember to put in a good word for Robert. I was really surprised to hear people talking about Advanced negatively. Here they are one of the better parts stores. I guess you are only as good as the employees that you are working with. Those pictures are unbeleivable. The fact that it was still running says a lot about the design on the 2.5 and 4.0L engines!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #42
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katautophile View Post
You must always be careful of purchasing online. You can never tell when you will be ripped off or it could be just a difficulty at sending the item or the money. Whatever car parts there are, in your case it is an engine, we should always be mindful.
The engine was bought locally. I dont know where your seeing that it was bought online.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #43
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
The engine was bought locally. I dont know where your seeing that it was bought online.
The way I see it, looks like a bot [or a person paid to post links] that posted a link to a benz parts site which I'd say qualifies as a fail.
I google'd the bot username and came up with a bunch of other posts from other car sites today.
"That's some good price dropping. Interesting. Just wondering if they have more car parts available and like an online catalog where I can see the list of prices and the items' status as well."
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #44
brandongeeRide
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i was about to buy an engine and someone told me to read this post first.. interestingly enough, this is my first post as I'm a total newbie.. but I'm definitely glad I read through your forum. I feel for you friend.
brandongeeRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #45
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Since this old post has been resurrected, and now I DO work for advance, I've had some first hand experience. For the past 6 months or so I've been the CPP at 2 stores. Here's what I've seen.

1. Yes, I'd say in general stay away from the Spartan engines. I've seen an engine purchased w/o a hole for the dipstick, the replacement had a cracked head, and the 3rd was finally correct.
2. If used is an option - tell the salesperson to check ADVANCE SALVAGE. It's right on the sales screen. Takes some time to verify availability, but if done THE CORRECT WAY, so does any engine purchase.
3. If the store has commercial delivery (or if you have retail guys up front who actually WANT to sell and engine) have them call RMP (I forget the number). Typically theirs are cheaper than Advance listed engines. Also the warranty is 3yr, 100k miles vs. the 3yr, 75k miles for AAP engines.

Now, since we're on the topic of warranty keep this in mind. As of a couple months ago, AAP no longer provides ANY labor warranty claims for DIY customers. Engine still covered, and you should be made to sign a sheet with the warranty details (just saying you have read them and understand).

Again - if used is OK, Salvage is your best bet. Yesterday I priced up a Civic 1.6L Vtec engine. Sales screen $3k, salvage $1300 w/ 74k miles. And RMP had no availability anywhere in the country. Now if I can just get the guy to buy the friggin thing....
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.