Beware the 2" shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Beware the 2" shackles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
ryans93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Beware the 2" shackles

I have encountered yet another serious problem. The po wanted a really cheap lift so I am stuck with buck toothed 2" shackles. Upon fixing another problem (the engine falling out) I noticed that the bracket that holds the front end of the rear leaf spring was just about cracked all the way through. This was about to cause some serious damage. So now I've got a pretty crummy welding job that is not going to last very long. So my question is, could having giant shackles cause this? Or was this more of a rust issue, because my frame is pretty rusted out. And can I get new mounts or would it be better to just get a new frame all together?

1993 YJ 4.0L 5spd Manual. OME 2.5" with 3/4" M.O.R.E Shackles & 1"BL
Not to mention the body doesn't match the frame that doesn't match the engine...
ryans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's most likely due to rust.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if your engine fell out, it's because of rust.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Post some pics of the frame. Its one of those things that images are important.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like, rust. long shackles mainly put more stress on the leaf springs.
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans93 View Post
I have encountered yet another serious problem. The po wanted a really cheap lift so I am stuck with buck toothed 2" shackles. Upon fixing another problem (the engine falling out) I noticed that the bracket that holds the front end of the rear leaf spring was just about cracked all the way through. This was about to cause some serious damage. So now I've got a pretty crummy welding job that is not going to last very long. So my question is, could having giant shackles cause this? Or was this more of a rust issue, because my frame is pretty rusted out. And can I get new mounts or would it be better to just get a new frame all together?
That's like asking......"which candy bar caused me to have cavities"?

Serious rust + tall shackles = excellent formula for issues.

You are being vague & didn't post quality pics - so answering your solution question with a decent answer would be a guessing game at best.

Is that what you wish folks to do?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.