Better to start new or stick with it??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Better to start new or stick with it???

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

@ Goots, yes the ax-5 is coming out and going in is a ax-15 with a 231 already attached.

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv
@ Goots, yes the ax-5 is coming out and going in is a ax-15 with a 231 already attached.
Sounds like fun! You guys get it from an xj?
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine came out of a yj and the trans/t-case came out of a TJ that belonged to his buddy.
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
You might have too much gearing for a 4.0 with 33s. So that might be a consideration as well. You would be running around 3k rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. Ideally you'd want to be 2300-2500 with the 4.0L.....I'd like to do an engine swap to get more power to improve driveability/going up hills (I have a 4.2L) and feel that the 4.0 would be the easiest way to get it and still stay legal and probably not much more difficult/expensive than another 2.5L swap.....
blitz: I don't know much about the smog nazi rules in CA but I am wondering if a 4.0 head with computer and fuel injection on your 258 (4.2) would be a simpler, cheaper way out if that doesn't violate the "rules."

To OP... I am driving a '89 with 2.5. It leaves a lot to be desired in torque for sure. As far as swapping in a 4.0 with your 4.10s, after driving the past few months with the 2.5 and 4.10 axles ratio, I am reconsidering my plans to stick with the 4.10s on my '91 project. The 91 is getting a 4.7 stroker (~284ci). With my 2.5, I run about 3000rpm at 60 mph which makes the 2.5 doable on the highway, but I am thinking I will get A LOT of gas savings with the 100+ horsepower and anticipated additional 140 ft lbs of torque geared down to 3.55s. Project plans are for 32 or 33s, max and I anticipate 95% DD road use so I think I can live with the loss of gear and enjoy the fuel savings.

For goots, you might want to accept the gas mileage loss though and stick with 4.10s or lower gears since it sounds like you do wheel often and crawling wants gear. Plus, you already have the 4.10s so it is money not spent.

I say all that, goots, to make this observation: since you are getting married, taking the time and (relatively) small change to throw in a new oil pump, bearings, etc. to rebuild the 2.5 might be a good choice in your situation. Then save your coins for a planned upgrade down the road a piece. That way you are still on the road with minimal investment, a 'known' time investment, and peace in the fam as you work out a future with your wife to be.

Major upgrades to get where it sounds like you want to be are likely to not fit your current budget considerations. IMHO

I am 'new' to jeeps but I have been wrenching with pennies on various things for years. At 48, I have learned it is better to drive with a compromise with plans for improvements down the road than it is to get stuck running out of cash before I can get back to "driver" condition. A bonus to that I hadn't anticipated is that slowing things down brings the luxury of time- and that luxury has given me countless opportunities to obtain parts I needed for upgrades for little to no cost. I keep my eyes out and strike swiftly when an opportunity comes along. That's my advice- slow it down and get what you want without a big investment.
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

[QUOTE="fishadventure"] blitz: I don't know much about the smog nazi rules in CA but I am wondering if a 4.0 head with computer and fuel injection on your 258 (4.2) would be a simpler, cheaper way

No. Cannht do legal smog headswap unless its the MOPAR kit which has a smog approval
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Correct.

And while you can swap in a 4.0, there are rules. The engine will have to be the same year, or newer, than the original. Of course you want that anyway to get fuel injection. But you will have to take it through the referee process to get it approved. They will expect to see all the 4.0 smog relevant equipment to be there. Dot all the I's and cross all the T's. I think this is a swap that can be done legally, but it's more government interface that I personally ever want to deal with.
bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

@fishadventure
I have 4.88 not 4:10 and I already had motor rebuilt last year and I am now having problems with it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.