Better to start new or stick with it??? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Better to start new or stick with it???

I've done a lot of work and put a lot of money into my yj. I rebuilt the motor last year and it recently started to sound like a diesel tuck. It sounds like a bent rod or loose rocker. I also lost 5th gear. It only goes 55mph at 3000rpms because I reheated to 4.88. Should I just sell it and get a 4.0 and start new? Or is it worth it to keep it and upgrade to ax15, power steering, and fix engine noise? Kinda lost hope need some advice. I prolly have over $9,000 in upgrades over the past year and a half. I have some cash to spend on it but not much because I'm saving for a wedding in december.


"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
*Regeared

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Anyone?

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM
billybooster2
Registered User
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cow Mountain
Posts: 1,122
Depends on what your goals are. New engine need a rebuild?
billybooster2 is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 AM
fishadventure
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 2,489
I am always up for rebuilding an existing, known, good engine that has developed a problem. A replacement motor is an unknown that may need a rebuild anyway... unless you can hear it run. I would just rebuild and be happy

How many old threads actually convince *you* to read all 36 pages? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/length-envy-build-thread-629700/
fishadventure is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler
 
bpounds's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Whittier
Posts: 1,245
This is a question that only you can answer. Only you know your goals, and only you know the general condition of what you've got.

So just some general comments. Looking at your profile, seems you need a new engine and transmission. Looking at your comments above, you would prefer to have a 4.0. And if you were to stay with the 2.5, you want an AX-15. In my opinion you would be better off with a new candidate. It is never worth it to swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0. Swaps are okay if you want to do something different, like a V-8, but not a 4.0 which you can find anywhere unmolested. Take all your upgrades off the old one that can be swapped over. I don't see a lot in your profile, but there is probably other stuff you've done.

With a wedding and newly married life coming up, you might want to just fix the minimum to keep it on the road and on the trail. Your fiance probably would agree with me. But like I said, only you can really know these things.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,GM HEI Ign, 5 Speed Peugeot, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
bpounds is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
Depends on what your goals are. New engine need a rebuild?
I haven't got the 4.0 yet but I'd would hope to find a low milage one.

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure
I am always up for rebuilding an existing, known, good engine that has developed a problem. A replacement motor is an unknown that may need a rebuild anyway... unless you can hear it run. I would just rebuild and be happy
I rebuilt it a year ago already lol
Good point!!

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds
This is a question that only you can answer. Only you know your goals, and only you know the general condition of what you've got. So just some general comments. Looking at your profile, seems you need a new engine and transmission. Looking at your comments above, you would prefer to have a 4.0. And if you were to stay with the 2.5, you want an AX-15. In my opinion you would be better off with a new candidate. It is never worth it to swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0. Swaps are okay if you want to do something different, like a V-8, but not a 4.0 which you can find anywhere unmolested. Take all your upgrades off the old one that can be swapped over. I don't see a lot in your profile, but there is probably other stuff you've done. With a wedding and newly married life coming up, you might want to just fix the minimum to keep it on the road and on the trail. Your fiance probably would agree with me. But like I said, only you can really know these things.

That's a really good point I would like the extra power of a v8 but then I run into the whole smog issue. Quick overview of what I've done I've replaced ever smog part possible, whole new exhaust, 8.8 arb 4.88, dana 30 TJ shafts lockright, rebuilt motor, tube fenders, bumper winch and just about every part on the moter is new, sye rear cv shaft all new u joints. I do see the point of getting a complete 4.0 yj and just swapping everything over. I think for now I'll just have to think it over and see if it's worth keeping cause I know I won't get the money I put into it back. Plus all the hours of work I put into it.

Thanks for your input guys

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 3,860
Yeah, If you're happy with most of the build. I'd just do an engine swap. 4.0 and ax15 is easy... just do it... you'll probably still be able to sell your engine and tranny for a few bucks. not a total loss... Or go V8, V6 chevy swap...

BTW... $$ for a wedding vs the jeep .....She must be worth it...

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...hread-2778642/

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold
NHfireLJ is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ
Yeah, If you're happy with most of the build. I'd just do an engine swap. 4.0 and ax15 is easy... just do it... you'll probably still be able to sell your engine and tranny for a few bucks. not a total loss... Or go V8, V6 chevy swap... BTW... $$ for a wedding vs the jeep .....She must be worth it...
Yeah I would totally do the v8 swap in the future some time. I'm thinking I'll prolly just keep it for now maybe do a terra low or atlas t case if I don't do a complete motor swap. Yeah she is! She supports me and my jeep even though sometimes she gets a little jealous of how much time I spend working on it lol

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM
blitz134
Member
 
blitz134's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange
Posts: 414
You might have too much gearing for a 4.0 with 33s. So that might be a consideration as well. You would be running around 3k rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. Ideally you'd want to be 2300-2500 with the 4.0L.

I feel like I'm in the same boat (too much $ in current jeep, wedding in 2 months, etc.); in retrospect I wish I would have gotten the 4.0L to start with. But I'm so far in now that I can't foresee "starting new" or even swapping parts. I'd like to do an engine swap to get more power to improve driveability/going up hills (I have a 4.2L) and feel that the 4.0 would be the easiest way to get it and still stay legal and probably not much more difficult/expensive than another 2.5L swap. It would be easy to get a 4.0L swap past the smog ref here in CA. Depending on who you get to do your inspection, you could easily get into a black hole with a V6/V8 swap since some of the refs are very picky about exhaust. Plus most stock V8 headers won't get past our frame rails/firewalls, so you'd have to swap them...which isn't technically allowed in CA. After having a bad run-in with a ref, I'm hesitant to do anything that I'm not 100% sure will pass.

Current Jeeps (Click to see build threads):
2006 LJ Rubicon
1990 YJ
blitz134 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 06:18 PM
rogerv
Member
 
rogerv's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canton
Posts: 499
My oldest son and I are in the middle of pulling his 4 squirrels and dropping in a 4.0L. He has shopped around for a while collecting parts, but finally we were able to start. Also going in is a 8.8. Like the OP said, too much time and $$$ invested just to start over.

If it's not broke- modify it, so it won't break
rogerv is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134
You might have too much gearing for a 4.0 with 33s. So that might be a consideration as well. You would be running around 3k rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. Ideally you'd want to be 2300-2500 with the 4.0L. I feel like I'm in the same boat (too much $ in current jeep, wedding in 2 months, etc.); in retrospect I wish I would have gotten the 4.0L to start with. But I'm so far in now that I can't foresee "starting new" or even swapping parts. I'd like to do an engine swap to get more power to improve driveability/going up hills (I have a 4.2L) and feel that the 4.0 would be the easiest way to get it and still stay legal and probably not much more difficult/expensive than another 2.5L swap. It would be easy to get a 4.0L swap past the smog ref here in CA. Depending on who you get to do your inspection, you could easily get into a black hole with a V6/V8 swap since some of the refs are very picky about exhaust. Plus most stock V8 headers won't get past our frame rails/firewalls, so you'd have to swap them...which isn't technically allowed in CA. After having a bad run-in with a ref, I'm hesitant to do anything that I'm not 100% sure will pass.
I thought of that too but that would be a good time to go 35s .
Yeah I wish i started with the 4.0 too would have saved me money.
I have way to many plans in my head to keep up with. I would love to have a 5.3 in it but like your saying I've heard of some people having trouble with smog refs here in Cali.

My girl said I should sell it and get a Rubicon but I like my leaf springs it makes rock crawling fun. Rock crawling with no power steering on the other hand sucks I've almost broke my wrist a few times

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
GootsYJ1990
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VIsalia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv
My oldest son and I are in the middle of pulling his 4 squirrels and dropping in a 4.0L. He has shopped around for a while collecting parts, but finally we were able to start. Also going in is a 8.8. Like the OP said, too much time and $$$ invested just to start over.
Are you swapping ax-5 and 231 out too??

"The only easy day is yesterday."
GootsYJ1990 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome