Better to start new or stick with it??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Better to start new or stick with it???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Better to start new or stick with it???

I've done a lot of work and put a lot of money into my yj. I rebuilt the motor last year and it recently started to sound like a diesel tuck. It sounds like a bent rod or loose rocker. I also lost 5th gear. It only goes 55mph at 3000rpms because I reheated to 4.88. Should I just sell it and get a 4.0 and start new? Or is it worth it to keep it and upgrade to ax15, power steering, and fix engine noise? Kinda lost hope need some advice. I prolly have over $9,000 in upgrades over the past year and a half. I have some cash to spend on it but not much because I'm saving for a wedding in december.

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

*Regeared
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Depends on what your goals are. New engine need a rebuild?
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am always up for rebuilding an existing, known, good engine that has developed a problem. A replacement motor is an unknown that may need a rebuild anyway... unless you can hear it run. I would just rebuild and be happy
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is a question that only you can answer. Only you know your goals, and only you know the general condition of what you've got.

So just some general comments. Looking at your profile, seems you need a new engine and transmission. Looking at your comments above, you would prefer to have a 4.0. And if you were to stay with the 2.5, you want an AX-15. In my opinion you would be better off with a new candidate. It is never worth it to swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0. Swaps are okay if you want to do something different, like a V-8, but not a 4.0 which you can find anywhere unmolested. Take all your upgrades off the old one that can be swapped over. I don't see a lot in your profile, but there is probably other stuff you've done.

With a wedding and newly married life coming up, you might want to just fix the minimum to keep it on the road and on the trail. Your fiance probably would agree with me. But like I said, only you can really know these things.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
Depends on what your goals are. New engine need a rebuild?
I haven't got the 4.0 yet but I'd would hope to find a low milage one.
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure
I am always up for rebuilding an existing, known, good engine that has developed a problem. A replacement motor is an unknown that may need a rebuild anyway... unless you can hear it run. I would just rebuild and be happy
I rebuilt it a year ago already lol
Good point!!
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds
This is a question that only you can answer. Only you know your goals, and only you know the general condition of what you've got. So just some general comments. Looking at your profile, seems you need a new engine and transmission. Looking at your comments above, you would prefer to have a 4.0. And if you were to stay with the 2.5, you want an AX-15. In my opinion you would be better off with a new candidate. It is never worth it to swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0. Swaps are okay if you want to do something different, like a V-8, but not a 4.0 which you can find anywhere unmolested. Take all your upgrades off the old one that can be swapped over. I don't see a lot in your profile, but there is probably other stuff you've done. With a wedding and newly married life coming up, you might want to just fix the minimum to keep it on the road and on the trail. Your fiance probably would agree with me. But like I said, only you can really know these things.

That's a really good point I would like the extra power of a v8 but then I run into the whole smog issue. Quick overview of what I've done I've replaced ever smog part possible, whole new exhaust, 8.8 arb 4.88, dana 30 TJ shafts lockright, rebuilt motor, tube fenders, bumper winch and just about every part on the moter is new, sye rear cv shaft all new u joints. I do see the point of getting a complete 4.0 yj and just swapping everything over. I think for now I'll just have to think it over and see if it's worth keeping cause I know I won't get the money I put into it back. Plus all the hours of work I put into it.

Thanks for your input guys
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, If you're happy with most of the build. I'd just do an engine swap. 4.0 and ax15 is easy... just do it... you'll probably still be able to sell your engine and tranny for a few bucks. not a total loss... Or go V8, V6 chevy swap...

BTW... $$ for a wedding vs the jeep .....She must be worth it...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ
Yeah, If you're happy with most of the build. I'd just do an engine swap. 4.0 and ax15 is easy... just do it... you'll probably still be able to sell your engine and tranny for a few bucks. not a total loss... Or go V8, V6 chevy swap... BTW... $$ for a wedding vs the jeep .....She must be worth it...
Yeah I would totally do the v8 swap in the future some time. I'm thinking I'll prolly just keep it for now maybe do a terra low or atlas t case if I don't do a complete motor swap. Yeah she is! She supports me and my jeep even though sometimes she gets a little jealous of how much time I spend working on it lol
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
blitz134
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You might have too much gearing for a 4.0 with 33s. So that might be a consideration as well. You would be running around 3k rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. Ideally you'd want to be 2300-2500 with the 4.0L.

I feel like I'm in the same boat (too much $ in current jeep, wedding in 2 months, etc.); in retrospect I wish I would have gotten the 4.0L to start with. But I'm so far in now that I can't foresee "starting new" or even swapping parts. I'd like to do an engine swap to get more power to improve driveability/going up hills (I have a 4.2L) and feel that the 4.0 would be the easiest way to get it and still stay legal and probably not much more difficult/expensive than another 2.5L swap. It would be easy to get a 4.0L swap past the smog ref here in CA. Depending on who you get to do your inspection, you could easily get into a black hole with a V6/V8 swap since some of the refs are very picky about exhaust. Plus most stock V8 headers won't get past our frame rails/firewalls, so you'd have to swap them...which isn't technically allowed in CA. After having a bad run-in with a ref, I'm hesitant to do anything that I'm not 100% sure will pass.
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

My oldest son and I are in the middle of pulling his 4 squirrels and dropping in a 4.0L. He has shopped around for a while collecting parts, but finally we were able to start. Also going in is a 8.8. Like the OP said, too much time and $$$ invested just to start over.
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134
You might have too much gearing for a 4.0 with 33s. So that might be a consideration as well. You would be running around 3k rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. Ideally you'd want to be 2300-2500 with the 4.0L. I feel like I'm in the same boat (too much $ in current jeep, wedding in 2 months, etc.); in retrospect I wish I would have gotten the 4.0L to start with. But I'm so far in now that I can't foresee "starting new" or even swapping parts. I'd like to do an engine swap to get more power to improve driveability/going up hills (I have a 4.2L) and feel that the 4.0 would be the easiest way to get it and still stay legal and probably not much more difficult/expensive than another 2.5L swap. It would be easy to get a 4.0L swap past the smog ref here in CA. Depending on who you get to do your inspection, you could easily get into a black hole with a V6/V8 swap since some of the refs are very picky about exhaust. Plus most stock V8 headers won't get past our frame rails/firewalls, so you'd have to swap them...which isn't technically allowed in CA. After having a bad run-in with a ref, I'm hesitant to do anything that I'm not 100% sure will pass.
I thought of that too but that would be a good time to go 35s .
Yeah I wish i started with the 4.0 too would have saved me money.
I have way to many plans in my head to keep up with. I would love to have a 5.3 in it but like your saying I've heard of some people having trouble with smog refs here in Cali.

My girl said I should sell it and get a Rubicon but I like my leaf springs it makes rock crawling fun. Rock crawling with no power steering on the other hand sucks I've almost broke my wrist a few times
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
GootsYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv
My oldest son and I are in the middle of pulling his 4 squirrels and dropping in a 4.0L. He has shopped around for a while collecting parts, but finally we were able to start. Also going in is a 8.8. Like the OP said, too much time and $$$ invested just to start over.
Are you swapping ax-5 and 231 out too??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.