A better locker for the Dana 35? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A better locker for the Dana 35?

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-23-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
AndyMan569

A better locker for the Dana 35?

I have a 93 wrangler with a rear Dana 35 with 4:56 gears and 36x14.50 Swampers, and over the past 2 years I have blown 2 Detroit limited slip locker Tru-Tracs. I am on a pretty tight budget and cant afford air lockers. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better alternative to the Detroit locker Tru-Trac??

Unread 01-23-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's no such thing as a "limited slip locker". Stop using limited slips. They're not lockers. Try the Detroit no-spin, they're considered damn near indestructable. http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#locking

Be advised no matter what locker you run, you're likely to have problems with a Dana 35 and 36" Swampers. Too much stress on that axle.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
There's no such thing as a "limited slip locker.
Oh really my Jeep friend? What about the new Electric lockers in development that when activated, are a full locker, and when off, are a helical gear limited slip? I believe Detriot's working on one as well as that Japanese company (name slips my mind).
Sorry, couldn't resist a chance to bust your chops!

Andy, if you do a lot of offroading, ditch the tru-trac and look at a real locker. no-spins are pretty bulletproof... but as osburn said, be forewarned, you're already stressing that D35 pretty far.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:45 AM   #4
GREGDOG95YJ

rodeorob the electric locker your thinking of is the one they will be using in the new rubicon edition wrangler. The name of the company is Tochigi Fuji Sanjyo. Eaton is also finalizing there design on an electric locker too.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
AndyMan569

Thanks Ya'll, I've been wanting to swap out the rear axle since the first time it broke a locker, but didn't have the cash or the time. So, I found a few decent priced Dana44's in my area that were taken out of Cherokee's and Comanche's. A Dana60 would be to far out of my budget.
If the MJ or XJ Dana44 is fitted with 4:56 gears, a locker, and pushing 36" tires... How well could I expect it to perform on and offroad?
Or, will I have the same problems, but not as often?
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RodeoRob:
Oh really my Jeep friend? What about the new Electric lockers in development that when activated, are a full locker, and when off, are a helical gear limited slip? I believe Detriot's working on one as well as that Japanese company (name slips my mind).
Sorry, couldn't resist a chance to bust your chops!
Damn, I'd say you were gloating if I didn't know better! I didn't know about this limited slip electric locker. Seems like a waste to me. Oh well, gotta be different somehow I guess. I'd personally rather just run open and reduce the friction if it's a manual locker. I guess there will be a crowd that insists they need a limited slip and a locker. But that just doesn't sound realistic to me. Oh, and did you say it's still in development? Then I'm right, right? There ain't a limited slip locker...yet!

Quote:
Originally posted by GREGDOG95YJ:
rodeorob the electric locker your thinking of is the one they will be using in the new rubicon edition wrangler. The name of the company is Tochigi Fuji Sanjyo. Eaton is also finalizing there design on an electric locker too.
I'm pretty sure I read the Rubicon was going to have air lockers. Not ARBs. But some sort of low pressure actuation air lockers.

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyMan569:
Thanks Ya'll, I've been wanting to swap out the rear axle since the first time it broke a locker, but didn't have the cash or the time. So, I found a few decent priced Dana44's in my area that were taken out of Cherokee's and Comanche's. A Dana60 would be to far out of my budget.
If the MJ or XJ Dana44 is fitted with 4:56 gears, a locker, and pushing 36" tires... How well could I expect it to perform on and offroad?
Or, will I have the same problems, but not as often?
Depends on how hard you wheel. For 90 percent of the fellows out there, I'd say that would be damn near bulletproof. But, if you do a lot of hardcore wheeling, then you're right to assume you'll still have some carnage, just less often.
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:04 PM   #7
RodeoRob

I believe Tractech unvieled a prototype at SEMA not too long ago. You can see mention of it on the official site, http://www.tractech.com/WhatsNew.htm

Yea, I thought the rubicon's lockers were air actuated ones built by Tochigi Fuji, not electric.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:37 AM   #8
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Man! That sure is a lot of junk on the housing! I'm sure they could find a better location for some of that. I see no reason all that needs to be piled up on the axle housing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.