Better Heat in a YJ! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Better Heat in a YJ!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #16
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthisis
I was gona say get a patent on that thing. Have u considered making more and selling them?
I'd love to patent it, but i can't afford that at the moment. and by the time i could someone else will probably already have done it. oh well. I've thought about making some to sell. figured i'd see what the reaction is on the boards first and then maybe move to ebay or something. If i end up doing that I'll definitely be making some jigs to speed things up. one of the things i don't like right now is how each of my arms comes out just slightly different. very annoying to my perfectionist side

Bone, I've had mine in for a week and it hasn't rattled yet. not a bad idea though. I opted for the screws to attach to the dash simply because the velcro or double sided tape would likely end up peeling off from the heat in the warmer weather. i had a CD player mounted to my dash that way a couple years ago (not in the jeep though) and once summer hit it just ended up sliding all over as the glue melted. granted you could just remove it entirely velcro and all in the spring, but really, once you get used to it you don't even notice it's there anymore. very low profile and at least on mine, the gray matches the interior perfectly.

ryan if you want me to put a set together for you just let me know. they're light enough that shipping isn't going to kill you, though i imagine you're used to that in hawaii lol. glad you guys like it!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #17
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
granted you could just remove it entirely velcro and all.
That was what I was leaning towards, just for those of us that are not ready to drill holes in the dash yet..

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #18
BeatAChevy289

You REALLY arent going to believe me, but I thought that up the first winter I spent in my YJ. I was just too lazy to fab it up. You beat me to it. Good work! Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #19
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAChevy289
You REALLY arent going to believe me, but I thought that up the first winter I spent in my YJ. I was just too lazy to fab it up. You beat me to it. Good work! Later <><
oh i'm sure someone has thought of doing something like this before. this is just the first i've seen of a practical application for it.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #20
superjoe

if i actually lived in a place it got cold for more than just a few weeks in the winter and/or my Jeep was still my daily driver i would be all over it like white on rice. unless its brown rice inwhich case that is whole differant saying
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #21
CanukYJ

Yes for the rattling put some small rubber grommets between the mounting hinge and the vent itself (hope that made sense). That will stop the rattle and it will make some resistance for flipping it forward or backward to it will stay put. Get the grommets in the plumbing section of a hardware store and maybe put a dab of silicone grease (like the kind for brake caliper pins) to make a smoother operation.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #22
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I live in Michigan and have been thinking of something like this but nothing came to mind . This is truly a great invention. The only thing I wonder about, does it still defrost the window? From the pick I canít seem to tell if it would work or not. I may soon be PM'ing you. You got a price yet?
-Nick

1998 Cherokee Classic - SOLD

1993 YJ - SOLD :(
JeepDrivr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #23
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDrivr93
I live in Michigan and have been thinking of something like this but nothing came to mind . This is truly a great invention. The only thing I wonder about, does it still defrost the window? From the pick I canít seem to tell if it would work or not. I may soon be PM'ing you. You got a price yet?
-Nick
the installed pick is in the down position. in this setting the air is forced to you. to defrost, you would flip the shield forward toward you more and that uncovers the vent allowing air to hit the windshield again. unfortunately there's no "bi level" setting that allows both, but i know in my jeep, once the windshield is defrosted it doesn't usually fog back up so it's not really an issue. I suppose you could make a slider on the back side of the shield that would cover or uncover slits cut into the main body that would allow you to keep the shield mounted in the down position all the time. then you just uncover the slits if you want to defrost and you could open them half way to get a bi-level setting out of it that way. more complex though and this works nicely. i'll snap a pic of the "up" position tomorrow and post it so you can see how it looks that way. as for the price, I'm not too sure. I'm working on a jig now so i can get some good repeatability and make a cleaner product. that should take a lot of the guess work out of the polishing area of the fab process (if you look at the arms close enough you can see they're not the same) and will speed things up. I have yet to have to buy the steel as well so I'm not 100% sure what that would cost me. shouldn't be too much though like i said in the write up. probably like $35-40 for a set of them primed. 5 bucks more if you want them painted a different color. and of course shipping. sound right to you guys? too much? too little? i know they're simple to make, but they can be time consuming (especially those arms. Maybe small angle would be the way to go?) and not everyone is handy or has the tools to do sheet metal work. I'll warn you now though that the paint selection is kind of limited around here. the basic colors like red, black, blue, green etc are all here, but i don't think I'd be able to find a match for like spice or khahki. that's why i figure sell them primed so you can play with the colors yourself. basically just a hardware store's selection or a parts store like Advance auto for colors. If you want to go to the parts store near you and find the brand and color code that you want I'd be happy to try and find the matching color here though.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 12-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #24
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Even better, i didnt know they flipped! As for the price, i think i would be willing to fork over $35 plus shipping to stay a little warmer over the winter, would'nt you guys? By the way once you make a jig, how long do you think it will take u to make one? An hour or 2 with bending and all? Keep us updated on your process and let me know when your ready to sell.
-Nick

1998 Cherokee Classic - SOLD

1993 YJ - SOLD :(
JeepDrivr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #25
AWILD

Screw patenting it for now...I'll pay you to make me one. I'd pay $20 for a single and $30-35 a set, it's too damn cold here!...I say single cause I dont care about my passangers.
Unread 12-07-2004, 07:28 PM   #26
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD
Screw patenting it for now...I'll pay you to make me one. I'd pay $20 for a single and $30-35 a set, it's too damn cold here!...I say single cause I dont care about my passangers.
make it $25 for a single and you got a deal. making one just screws up the cutting pattern on the stock I'm using now, but i hear ya on the passengers though. i hardly ever have any but when i do, they usually complain about it taking a while to warm up. EDIT: Awild, if someone else chimes in that only wants one, i'd let them go for 20 then. long as i'm making a complete set I don't mind splitting them.

Drivr, once the jig is done, probably about 2.5 hours stock to ready to paint for a set. I can probably have a couple sets done and ready to go out either sat or monday, long as the paint dries. the stuff i used on mine said handle in about 2-3 hours, but the next day it was still tacky enough to leave fingerprints if you pressed too hard. I'm sure you guys don't want to find the packing material stuck to the parts I'll keep you guys posted. pick you paint colors if you want me to paint them.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 12-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #27
ryanfritz

sentinal,
i'm moving to colorado, so i will need the heat, when i get there and get a house (wife thinks we need one, with the kids and all) i'll e-mail you for a set. maybe by then you'll have your jigs and such.
Unread 12-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #28
AWILD

Ok, looking for a "ONE" wanter?...so we can take advantage of the $20 price.
Unread 12-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #29
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, so i didn't get too far off topic, I created a thread in the For Sale forum so if anyone else wants to order, just PM, email or reply here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=839886

also, I'd like to know what the opinions are from anyone else who makes one of these for themselves. keep me posted!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
Unread 12-09-2004, 07:41 AM   #30
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Drivr and AWILD, i need to confirm some measurements on your jeeps. I need to know the length of your vents. Mine measure 12-1/4" long on the driver side and 11-1/4" on the pass side. Could you just check yours to confirm these and if they're different let me know what they are? I'd hate to find out that they're different year to year for some strange reason. Thanks!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.