Better articulation for YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Better articulation for YJ

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
BigWillyStyle

Better articulation for YJ

I hav a 91 YJ Wrangler. It has a 3.5 leafspring lift by Superlift. Its the way i bought it. Took it out for the first time to try it out and articulation is poor to say the least. I used to have a 89 cherokee, and aside from a 3 inch Rough country lift, it was completley stock, but went EVERYWHERE. A small incline with a small rut stopped my YJ so I cant even contiplait on taking it where my cherokee went. I have seen the suggestions on taking the rear track bar, and adding quick disconnects for the sway, what about removing the bump stops??? Any ideas on this or anything else that will help articulation. I wont do a spring over.

BigWillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
I hav a 91 YJ Wrangler. It has a 3.5 leafspring lift by Superlift. Its the way i bought it. Took it out for the first time to try it out and articulation is poor to say the least. I used to have a 89 cherokee, and aside from a 3 inch Rough country lift, it was completley stock, but went EVERYWHERE. A small incline with a small rut stopped my YJ so I cant even contiplait on taking it where my cherokee went. I have seen the suggestions on taking the rear track bar, and adding quick disconnects for the sway, what about removing the bump stops??? Any ideas on this or anything else that will help articulation. I wont do a spring over.
Rear track bar removal and quick disconnects / removal of the front sway has helped a lot of people have more articulation.

Removing the bump stops would only work if the axle hits the bump stop before the tire is close to the fender.

I could be wrong, but I believe the bump stop is to disallow the tire from hitting the fender / flare.

However, your Cherokee is going to have better articulation, as it has front springs vs front leafs. My only other suggestion might be the leafs themselves not being able to flex enough.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the shackle torque. Should be 45 ft/lbs

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know why you would discount spring over right off the bat. Any spring under leafs are going to suck at flexing by the sheer nature of the beast. Going SOA with stock springs makes it a flex monster that can go pretty much anywhere.

Do the stuff mentioned above and that's really all you're going to get without getting softer springs.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyTim View Post
Don't know why you would discount spring over right off the bat. Any spring under leafs are going to suck at flexing by the sheer nature of the beast. Going SOA with stock springs makes it a flex monster that can go pretty much anywhere.

Do the stuff mentioned above and that's really all you're going to get without getting softer springs.
It's also a $2500 job if done correctly.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My 3.5 sua leafs flex fine in my eyes??

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-4021350551.jpg  
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

A bit more info would definitely help. Have you put it on a ramp yet and maxed it out? Definitely best to identify what your constraints are before trying to game plan your next move.

How is your shock travel? What shackle setup are you running? How much bump stop?

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think my spring under has a problem either
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

3.5 lift flexes awesome.
forumrunner_20130303_214912.jpg  
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

x3:

3.5" springs SUA don't have any issues. Disconnect your sway bars at a MINIMUM. They inhibit suspension movement by design for on road performance. Trackbars are the next thing to go. While your under there make sure you haven't overtorqued your shackles to something ridiculous.

Doe these and report back, your results are going to be drastically different.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
BigWillyStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
x3:

3.5" springs SUA don't have any issues. Disconnect your sway bars at a MINIMUM. They inhibit suspension movement by design for on road performance. Trackbars are the next thing to go. While your under there make sure you haven't overtorqued your shackles to something ridiculous.

Doe these and report back, your results are going to be drastically different.
Will do, as I said I am new to this front leaf suspension, and the lift came with the Jeep, where do I start in finding out what the shackles are torqued to, and where is the adjustment.
BigWillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle

Will do, as I said I am new to this front leaf suspension, and the lift came with the Jeep, where do I start in finding out what the shackles are torqued to, and where is the adjustment.
Just back the shackles bolts back then torque them down to desired torque!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post

Have a read through the YJ FAQ under the stickies, there's a comprehensive list of torque specs for your rig as well as lots of other good info.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's definitely not the leafs.

No tracks no sways with some stiff *** bastard packs.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
prosneek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take off the front and rear track bars if you havent already. They are not needed for a leaf spring vehicle. Also disconnect the front sway bar to get more flex. The new springs are just that, new and stiff. They are not as worn as the old ones and not as flexable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.