bestop supertop with soft doors question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bestop supertop with soft doors question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-29-2002, 06:47 AM   #1
battlestar

bestop supertop with soft doors question

I've had my bestop supertop w/doors on for a week and had some questions for other people who also have it.

My soft doors do not seal at the top by the windshield. Is this normal? I get water leaking in.

Also, I don't really get how to fold it up. It doesn't seem like anything is holding it down. When I drove to work today it completely unfolded itself in the back of my jeep. I don't have a back seet to tuck it behind so it just blows all over the place.

OK, last question. The elastic strap that holds the bows down and tucks under the side rail, is there supposed to be one on both sides? I only have one on the drivers side.

Unread 07-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes there should be one on both sides. The way I fold my top is by first flipping the side windows up on to the back portion of the top and then folding the front portion of the top over them. Alot of people take their side windows out but I have never had a problem with them creasing or getting in the way. It does help to have two people to do this but it isn't impossible to do it yourself, it can just be a pain in the a$$. Once that is done make sure the spreader bars are collapsed and then pop off the front peice attached to the windshield and slide the back bar forward while lowering the front peice you just removed from the windshield. If you have both straps you shouldn't have a problem with it unfolding. I do have a rear seat but I have driven with it forward before with nothing against the top and have not had a problem like you describe. I think your biggest problem is that you are missing the passenger side strap.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:53 AM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You also said that your soft doors don't seal right near the windshield, I think you are missing two pieces that attach on either side of the windshield and that are neccessary for the half doors. When I put my hard doors on with my hard top I have to remove these plastic peices.
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
battlestar

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get in touch with bestop. You were very helpful.
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:49 AM   #5
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Without those pieces I wouldn't be able to put my soft top up because that is how the front rails attach on my Jeep. How do you attach them on yours? Do you also have a set of full doors, that would explain why you don't have those pieces?
Unread 07-29-2002, 08:50 AM   #6
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, glad I could help.
Unread 07-29-2002, 09:15 AM   #7
johny1i

Regarding your door question, if you have the 2-piece doors, they may just need adjustment. There are three "poles" that slide into the bottom half of the doors. Two of the poles have 3/4" retainers with set screws on them that dictate how far the upper half slides into the lower half of the door. If you have a gap at the front edge of the upper half, either raise the retainer on the front end of the door so that the front half of the door sits lower (and thus more forward), or raise the rear. It takes a little playing around with it, but once you get those retainers where you need them, it's set for good.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.