Bestop Sunrider. Yes or No? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Sunrider. Yes or No?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
manonthemoon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Bestop Sunrider. Yes or No?

Ok so im looking to buy a soft top for my 94 YJ and im almost set on the bestop sunrider but im not totally sure. Iv look on the some of the threads and didnt have much luck so i was just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it, or if you think a different top is better?

Thanks

Unread 03-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They are a nice top. It's nice to be able to flip open the front open for a quick drive home from work. When you don't want to drop the whole top. Or when you are running down the open road and get off to cruise the back roads. The only weak point would be the back support bar and being able to keep the top tight.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
sjyj1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one and like it a lot. Very easy to open up and a nice option if I also know I'll have to button it back up quickly at home.
sjyj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love mine, the only thing I have had trouble with are the buttons on the windshield header breaking off and being attached to the top. Reordered and got a new one and no problems what so ever. Its great with full steel doors!
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
83cjnut
1983 CJ7 

I just wrote about my experience here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...l-like-335467/
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have had one for 12+ years. If some schmuck hadn't taken a razor to one of the rear windows it would still be pretty much perfect. I have used the sunroof option only a few times, but the main advantage in my mind is the quick release mounting method for the windshield. It's really easy to get the top back up and attached, and you spend a lot less time getting rained on than if you were using a windshield channel.

The main "down side" I can think of is that it doesn't use a windshield channel, so if you want to drop the top & run with a bikini, you will have to install a channel and remove it when you want the top back on.

That said, I stopped running with a bikini not long after I got this top, as it is good enough to just remove all the windows. Plenty of shade and all the breeze you can handle.

Another thing that can be a little tricky is when you drop the top, you have to be careful with the brackets that go around the doors, at least on the hard door version. I have forgotten a few times and ended up having to bend them back in to shape.
GreatWhiteMoth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Eh... Bestop makes good stuff which is why they have more or less monopolized the Jeep soft top market. But I think that fold back feature is just a point of failure myself. The more complicated something is the more likely the gremlins of decomposition will find a weak point in it.

The Bestop Halftop uses the same technology and I've heard stories of that front brace that keeps the top stretched failing in months. Bestop will replace it for free if it does break but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

You'll probably use it a few times and then just end up leaving it closed. That's how it would go for me I know that much and I also know this... if Bestop made a halftop that didn't have that fold-back feature... I'd buy one tomorrow.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i just un button my stock top and use the window straps for hte rear window to hold it back, kit works great.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
matko25

its a yj just get a tarp and some bungy cords and keep in the back for when it rains
matko25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.