best Zero lift SOA springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best Zero lift SOA springs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
best Zero lift SOA springs

Starting my SOA build for my YJ. Just picked up a Waggy 44 for the front and keeping the 8.8 in the rear.
Now I am trying to figure out the best choice for the springs, I really like the RE 1.5 SOA springs but do not want the extra lift. So it seems I have 3 choices:
1. Crown H/D 5 leaf pack springs = $440.00
2. Omix-Ada 6 leaf pack springs = $480.00
3. Alcan springs = $1,000.00
However I cannot afford/justify the cost of the Alcans. So that leaves the other two choices.
Is there other choices I am leaving out?
Will the Crown or Omix hold up to SOA application?
Any advise or fisrt hand experience would be great.
Thanks!

__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
jserna
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 450
I have no experience with either company's springs, however I have had experience with one more alternative for you. A friend of mine did a spring over on his 93 and what he did was take all of his stock spring packs to a spring shop here in town and had them add full military wraps and one extra spring to all of them. The spring rate was close to the heavy duty packs that were offered by Jeep. The jeep rides nice and flexes great. The added bonus was the spring wrap is almost all gone, he might in the future have a snail wrap added to the springs if he swaps in lower gears.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,678
Alcan hands down my buddy had been running them for 10 years soa and they have not lost any height at all. My alcans on my 95 were great SUA also.

Crown makes a good spring also. For my build I will be going with. Crown springs just cause I don't make the money I did in the past and my stock springs are trashed.
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna
I have no experience with either company's springs, however I have had experience with one more alternative for you. A friend of mine did a spring over on his 93 and what he did was take all of his stock spring packs to a spring shop here in town and had them add full military wraps and one extra spring to all of them. The spring rate was close to the heavy duty packs that were offered by Jeep. The jeep rides nice and flexes great. The added bonus was the spring wrap is almost all gone, he might in the future have a snail wrap added to the springs if he swaps in lower gears.
Thanks- good idea but I no longer have my stock springs, running 4" SUA now
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Also found these:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-567.htm

Never heard of general spring before but they have 4,5 and six leaf options...
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Alcan hands down my buddy had been running them for 10 years soa and they have not lost any height at all. My alcans on my 95 were great SUA also.

Crown makes a good spring also. For my build I will be going with. Crown springs just cause I don't make the money I did in the past and my stock springs are trashed.
With the cost of highsteer, anti wrap bar, etc...not enough $$ to spend $1k on springs.
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep
Also found these: http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-567.htm Never heard of general spring before but they have 4,5 and six leaf options...
Nice find. 5 leafs would be about the stock rate. Those 4 leafs seem kinda soft I would worry about sag and axle wrap
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

Nice find. 5 leafs would be about the stock rate. Those 4 leafs seem kinda soft I would worry about sag and axle wrap
The 5 leafs are $120 while the 6 leafs are $80..weird.
Might as well get the Crowns for the same price, a lot more info out there on Crown than GeneralSpring. Mostly postive on theCrown springs.
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
survivor
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Socal, california
Posts: 267
Alcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post
Starting my SOA build for my YJ. Just picked up a Waggy 44 for the front and keeping the 8.8 in the rear.
Now I am trying to figure out the best choice for the springs, I really like the RE 1.5 SOA springs but do not want the extra lift. So it seems I have 3 choices:
1. Crown H/D 5 leaf pack springs = $440.00
2. Omix-Ada 6 leaf pack springs = $480.00
3. Alcan springs = $1,000.00
However I cannot afford/justify the cost of the Alcans. So that leaves the other two choices.
Is there other choices I am leaving out?
Will the Crown or Omix hold up to SOA application?
Any advise or fisrt hand experience would be great.
Thanks!

I have Alcan for sale! I just sold one set of Alcan for 700.00. I have one set left. Alcan springs will work great with 4.0 with front/rear bumpers such as tire swing up to 37s, winch , Lockers.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep
The 5 leafs are $120 while the 6 leafs are $80..weird. Might as well get the Crowns for the same price, a lot more info out there on Crown than GeneralSpring. Mostly postive on theCrown springs.
Simple solution remove a leaf from the 6 leaf pack.
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor

I have Alcan for sale! I just sold one set of Alcan for 700.00. I have one set left. Alcan springs will work great with 4.0 with front/rear bumpers such as tire swing up to 37s, winch , Lockers.
Thanks, I saw your post on those in the for sale section. But I want stock height springs. Only going to run 36s and with the extra 2" jeeps no going in garage- can't have that..lol.
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
survivor
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Socal, california
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post
Thanks, I saw your post on those in the for sale section. But I want stock height springs. Only going to run 36s and with the extra 2" jeeps no going in garage- can't have that..lol.
No problem. It has 6 leafs around the springs. You could take a leaf out of each of the spring?
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Norcal_chris
Senior Member
 
Norcal_chris's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 822
I run 6 leaf pack up front. Its the main leaf and a second main cut down. Then the rest of the pack. The main and second cut main are clamped together. If you run a single main you will end up breaking leaves or bending them. I used two pairs of leaves to make my pack and just got them off craigslist for $70
__________________
2.5/doubler,D60/14bff,108WB,H1s,39.5IROKS 3link front w/ 14in Kings/4 link rear w/ Tj coils
Norcal_chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris
I run 6 leaf pack up front. Its the main leaf and a second main cut down. Then the rest of the pack. The main and second cut main are clamped together. If you run a single main you will end up breaking leaves or bending them. I used two pairs of leaves to make my pack and just got them off craigslist for $70
Good advise. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks Chris
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
jamnjeep
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

Good advise. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks Chris
x2.
__________________
1994 YJ under construction....
jamnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.