best Zero lift SOA springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best Zero lift SOA springs

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

best Zero lift SOA springs

Starting my SOA build for my YJ. Just picked up a Waggy 44 for the front and keeping the 8.8 in the rear.
Now I am trying to figure out the best choice for the springs, I really like the RE 1.5 SOA springs but do not want the extra lift. So it seems I have 3 choices:
1. Crown H/D 5 leaf pack springs = $440.00
2. Omix-Ada 6 leaf pack springs = $480.00
3. Alcan springs = $1,000.00
However I cannot afford/justify the cost of the Alcans. So that leaves the other two choices.
Is there other choices I am leaving out?
Will the Crown or Omix hold up to SOA application?
Any advise or fisrt hand experience would be great.
Thanks!

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have no experience with either company's springs, however I have had experience with one more alternative for you. A friend of mine did a spring over on his 93 and what he did was take all of his stock spring packs to a spring shop here in town and had them add full military wraps and one extra spring to all of them. The spring rate was close to the heavy duty packs that were offered by Jeep. The jeep rides nice and flexes great. The added bonus was the spring wrap is almost all gone, he might in the future have a snail wrap added to the springs if he swaps in lower gears.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Alcan hands down my buddy had been running them for 10 years soa and they have not lost any height at all. My alcans on my 95 were great SUA also.

Crown makes a good spring also. For my build I will be going with. Crown springs just cause I don't make the money I did in the past and my stock springs are trashed.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna
I have no experience with either company's springs, however I have had experience with one more alternative for you. A friend of mine did a spring over on his 93 and what he did was take all of his stock spring packs to a spring shop here in town and had them add full military wraps and one extra spring to all of them. The spring rate was close to the heavy duty packs that were offered by Jeep. The jeep rides nice and flexes great. The added bonus was the spring wrap is almost all gone, he might in the future have a snail wrap added to the springs if he swaps in lower gears.
Thanks- good idea but I no longer have my stock springs, running 4" SUA now
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also found these:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-567.htm

Never heard of general spring before but they have 4,5 and six leaf options...
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Alcan hands down my buddy had been running them for 10 years soa and they have not lost any height at all. My alcans on my 95 were great SUA also.

Crown makes a good spring also. For my build I will be going with. Crown springs just cause I don't make the money I did in the past and my stock springs are trashed.
With the cost of highsteer, anti wrap bar, etc...not enough $$ to spend $1k on springs.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep
Also found these: http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-567.htm Never heard of general spring before but they have 4,5 and six leaf options...
Nice find. 5 leafs would be about the stock rate. Those 4 leafs seem kinda soft I would worry about sag and axle wrap
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nice find. 5 leafs would be about the stock rate. Those 4 leafs seem kinda soft I would worry about sag and axle wrap
The 5 leafs are $120 while the 6 leafs are $80..weird.
Might as well get the Crowns for the same price, a lot more info out there on Crown than GeneralSpring. Mostly postive on theCrown springs.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
survivor

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post
Starting my SOA build for my YJ. Just picked up a Waggy 44 for the front and keeping the 8.8 in the rear.
Now I am trying to figure out the best choice for the springs, I really like the RE 1.5 SOA springs but do not want the extra lift. So it seems I have 3 choices:
1. Crown H/D 5 leaf pack springs = $440.00
2. Omix-Ada 6 leaf pack springs = $480.00
3. Alcan springs = $1,000.00
However I cannot afford/justify the cost of the Alcans. So that leaves the other two choices.
Is there other choices I am leaving out?
Will the Crown or Omix hold up to SOA application?
Any advise or fisrt hand experience would be great.
Thanks!

I have Alcan for sale! I just sold one set of Alcan for 700.00. I have one set left. Alcan springs will work great with 4.0 with front/rear bumpers such as tire swing up to 37s, winch , Lockers.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep
The 5 leafs are $120 while the 6 leafs are $80..weird. Might as well get the Crowns for the same price, a lot more info out there on Crown than GeneralSpring. Mostly postive on theCrown springs.
Simple solution remove a leaf from the 6 leaf pack.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor

I have Alcan for sale! I just sold one set of Alcan for 700.00. I have one set left. Alcan springs will work great with 4.0 with front/rear bumpers such as tire swing up to 37s, winch , Lockers.
Thanks, I saw your post on those in the for sale section. But I want stock height springs. Only going to run 36s and with the extra 2" jeeps no going in garage- can't have that..lol.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
survivor

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post
Thanks, I saw your post on those in the for sale section. But I want stock height springs. Only going to run 36s and with the extra 2" jeeps no going in garage- can't have that..lol.
No problem. It has 6 leafs around the springs. You could take a leaf out of each of the spring?
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run 6 leaf pack up front. Its the main leaf and a second main cut down. Then the rest of the pack. The main and second cut main are clamped together. If you run a single main you will end up breaking leaves or bending them. I used two pairs of leaves to make my pack and just got them off craigslist for $70
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris
I run 6 leaf pack up front. Its the main leaf and a second main cut down. Then the rest of the pack. The main and second cut main are clamped together. If you run a single main you will end up breaking leaves or bending them. I used two pairs of leaves to make my pack and just got them off craigslist for $70
Good advise. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks Chris
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good advise. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks Chris
x2.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.