Best year for YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best year for YJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-02-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
Qwntm

Best year for YJ?

Hey all, any opinions as to which year was the best year YJ to pick up used/stock and build on?

Were there any years that were not quite so good? (Jeep don't make no bad Jeeps! )

Thanks.

Unread 12-02-2001, 04:46 PM   #2
bobznew

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I think that Jeep started making the Wranglers with fuel injection somewhere around '91 or '92. You might want to ask around about this. Fuel injection Jeeps should be better, I would think.
Unread 12-02-2001, 04:57 PM   #3
Brendan

The best year ever was the 91 jeep wrangler. It was the first year the 6 cylinder YJ's had EFI (multiport fuel injection) All of the four cylinder wranglers had TBI up until this point I think, and before the EFI 6s there was only the carter BBD which was a terrible carb. The 91 also had the old style roll bar, which in my book is a huge plus, so basically you get the best of both worlds, the best look with the best motor.

The 92's were made in a great color. They were the first year to offer the sand colored Sahara edition. Before this the Sahara's were a wierd army green color. Go with the 91 and you can't wrong.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2001, 06:00 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Granted, the 91 is when fuel injection was finally used. But, if you buy a late 94 YJ, you get the 297-x u-joints in your front axle. These are the same u-joints used in the Dana 44 and the common failure point of the front Dana 30 axle.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #5
Newfie

Unread 12-02-2001, 09:17 PM   #6
bob91yj

Not sure on the year of the change, but the external slave cylinder is way better than the internal, just due to the ease of replacement.
Unread 12-03-2001, 07:23 AM   #7
dartboy

Any year is good, but I'd go for the 95. Last year for the YJ and most of the kinks are worked out.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2001, 03:19 PM   #8
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man how did I forget about that Bob? Jeff at MIT told me the external slave cylinder was used on all 94s and up. This is another significant improvement over previous models.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2001, 03:31 PM   #9
GothicJeep

Also, remember that the early YJ's (Pre-91, I think) had those damned plastic gas tanks. I had an 88 (My first jeep!) and I banged my exhaust pipe on a trail. Wound up breaking the clamps. Before I knew it, I had burned a friggin' hole in my gas tank.

Go 95 if you can get a good price on one...

Goth

'Blue Zombie' (My 2002 TJ SE)
30x9.5 Hi-Tec Muds, Olympic Dave's Rack, and a BUTTLOAD of tow hooks...

My blog! Dr. Zombie's Midnight Theater or Terror
GothicJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2001, 10:49 AM   #10
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

92' or newer. I like my 92' 4 banger. It has updated gauges, and got rid of the sdtupid clock and made up for it with the light, who really cares what time it is? If you have a radio w/ clock or a watch. If u really want a roll bar that isnt for the original year, just change it, put a pre 92' roll bar on a 92' or newer, I've seen it b4.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 09:42 PM   #11
geepYJ95

GO FOR A '95! gotta love the square lights of YJ , by the way I like the roll bars that go all the way back not the ones that go diaganolly down in the back
[B]Green Jeep Club Member #14[/B]

'95 YJ Sahara Edition, green w/ tan hard and soft tops, Flowmaster 40 series, New cat, 2 10"eclipse subs, pioneer cd deck, and Xtant A series 6001 amp.
geepYJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 10:07 PM   #12
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by GothicJeep:
Also, remember that the early YJ's (Pre-91, I think) had those damned plastic gas tanks. I had an 88 (My first jeep!) and I banged my exhaust pipe on a trail. Wound up breaking the clamps. Before I knew it, I had burned a friggin' hole in my gas tank.

Go 95 if you can get a good price on one...

Goth
Not 100% sure, but I think all YJs have a plastic gas tank... A steel gas tank skid plate, but a plastic tank. I hate to say that you're totally wrong (hate having egg on my face), so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 12-06-2001, 02:26 PM   #13
GothicJeep

Newfie - You're right, I'm wrong. Of course all the YJ gas tanks are plastic. Not sure what I was thinking - I actually tromped outside, barefoot, and took a look. My 88 and 91 YJ had a skid plate that only went from front to back. Obviously Chrysler fixed the problem b/c my 95 has additional skid plating on the side - protecting the tank from the hot tailpipe. Thanks for calling me on it. Another brilliant case of open mouth, insert foot on my part. Unfortunately it probably won't be the last time.

On an unrelated note, I met a great bunch of Newfoundlanders(I hope that's the correct collective noun)last summer. They play for this incredible band called Great Big Sea. Anyway, I wound up pounding way too many Guinnesses with them into the wee hours. My question: Do all of you Newfoundlanders drink that hard? If so, maybe I should think about emigrating!

Goth...

'Blue Zombie' (My 2002 TJ SE)
30x9.5 Hi-Tec Muds, Olympic Dave's Rack, and a BUTTLOAD of tow hooks...

My blog! Dr. Zombie's Midnight Theater or Terror
GothicJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.