best way to soften up ride?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best way to soften up ride??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
bombadillo

best way to soften up ride??

I have a 93 yj 4.0 and it has a 3.5 inch superlift with the shocks included. I was looking for a way to soften up the ride. It is as stiff as riding on steel beams. I know the better lifts have better rides, but what are some ways other than loosening up bolts that I can soften up the ride some????

bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
bakwoodj2

Depending on how long the lift kit has been on, I would recommend taking it to a suspension specialty shop and having them re-arch the spring. I did that to my rear srings in my YJ and noticed a tremendous difference in the ride quality. My springs are the originals and I had one of my coworkers arch them up 2 inches and the added pep of the the re-arching worked wonders. Good luck.
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't recomment re-arching the springs just yet. Take off your track bars. Start with the rear and see how you like it. If you want it to soften up more, take off the front. Some people say the get more body roll/lean when they take off both, but most say it doesn't bother them enough to put it back on. Mine was a little stiff, so I removed the rear track bar. It made a world of difference. I didn't even bother removing the front. Let us know how it turns out!

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Losing the track and sway bars will only help. Also make sure the shackles are not torqued to 100 ft-lbs. I don't know about your shocks, but quality shocks can make a big difference as well. Greasables all around (shackles & maineyes) made a noticable difference when I installed them. Be glad you don't have Pro-Comp. I've had both Superlift and Pro-Comp and the SL was way softer.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

you could pull the bottom leaf out of each pack, that'll soften it up a bit.
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Switch to round springs.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What is your tire pressure? I aired mine to 25lbs from 35 and loosened the shackle bolts and replaced the nuts with nylocks so they don't rattle off. World of difference.
1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
SeattleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
claybob
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know how old your springs are, but if you just put them on then they will probably soften up a little as you break them in. Tire pressure does wonders also. You can remove the bottom spring and it will be a world of difference. My brother did that on his CJ 5 with a Pro Comp lift and it improved it alot but his springs started sagging really early in the game too so I would try everything else before I did that.
Unread 06-26-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't already have them.. Get some greasable shackles and torque the bolts to 40 ft/lbs. Doing that made a huge difference in my ride quality.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
bombadillo

Well, the springs are still relatively new, so they are still stiff, but the PO had them all put on. I have loosened the shackles slightly and used a little lithium grease not that it did anything, I have my tires set to around 28 lbs of pressure, and its a superlift 3.5 lift. The rear sway bar was gone when I got it, and the track bar is too. I'm probably going to take the front sway bar off just to see how it drives, and then if its undrivable, throw on quick disconnects or make my own.
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #11
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

In this order:

1. Air down to 25, or even 20.

2. Make sure the shackles are not on too tight. If they are your ride will be very harsh.

3. Try different shocks.

After those three things are done, the only thing left would be to replace the springs with something less stiff.

I do not believe the track bar or sway bar are going to make your ride stiff. They simply control stability, so save your time working on disconnects.

I had pro comp for a while. They sucked. Ultimately I had to buy new springs to fix my ride.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
bombadillo

yeah, the shocks that are on it are no name and I would definitely say that they came with the kit or the po before me scrimped pennies and just put cheap shocks after he bought the kit. I would really like to change out to a good shock, but what would you guys recommend for a 3.5" superlift riding with bfg mt 32x11.50 tires?? I have looked at the 5150 more because I liked the looks, but hows performance on those things? I used to be a rancho fan, but they ride like a rock as well. What would be the softest riding usable shock out there for a reasonable price?
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
I do not believe the track bar or sway bar are going to make your ride stiff. They simply control stability, so save your time working on disconnects.
Trac bars link your axle to the frame....you better believe that they will stiffen the ride. Bumps are more harsh as well.

I removed my rear trac bar and my sway bar....world of difference...front trac bar will be next.

Last edited by atomicmoose; 06-29-2006 at 10:34 AM..
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
letsroll
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmoose
Trac bars link your axle to the frame....you better believe that they will stiffen the ride. Bumps are more harsh as well.

I removed my rear trac bar and my sway bar....world of difference...front trac bar will be next.

A track bar will only stiffen the ride if they are at a large angle. When at such angle the rise and fall will cause a push to the frame, but usually will result in a twitch also (like a slight side to side bump) whereas the push is not directly up and down. It is kind of the same effect on ride as bump steer is to steering. If the track bars are on anything near a parrallel plane (ideal set up) then there will be very little if any effect on ride stiffness.
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsroll
A track bar will only stiffen the ride if they are at a large angle. When at such angle the rise and fall will cause a push to the frame, but usually will result in a twitch also (like a slight side to side bump) whereas the push is not directly up and down. It is kind of the same effect on ride as bump steer is to steering. If the track bars are on anything near a parrallel plane (ideal set up) then there will be very little if any effect on ride stiffness.
While this is technically true, my ride softened a lot after the rear trac bar was removed.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.