Best Safari Top? Straps? Strapless? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Safari Top? Straps? Strapless?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Best Safari Top? Straps? Strapless?

Hey all,

I have an 88 and just picked up a family roll bar. I want a safari (extended bikini) top.

I've read some that the strapless versions get loose on the rear section and flap around. Does anyone know if there is a strap-type, that would have straps going to the top rear lip of the tub to keep it tight? Or are the strapless ones ok? I will probably run the family bar with no padding on the rear bars. Will that make the rear straps harder to tighten up?

I know, it's hardcore tech.

Where's the best price/place to buy?

Thanks for any help
Pete

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had two different type of bestop and the smittybilt. Gotta say I like the smittybilt better. It fits tighter up front but the Velcro on the spreader bars is a little loose. Overall it didn't need any adjusting all summer long as opposed to the bestop.

Edit:
The rear straps are supposed to go to some stupid brackets and attach to the underside of the tub rail. Forget it. Throw them away and invest in a couple footman loops attached CLOSE to where the rollbar ends. Then take some Velcro straps or 550 cord and secure the rear straps to the back of the family bar. It'll keep it from flapping annoyingly.
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
I've had two different type of bestop and the smittybilt. Gotta say I like the smittybilt better. It fits tighter up front but the Velcro on the spreader bars is a little loose. Overall it didn't need any adjusting all summer long as opposed to the bestop.
I have had a Smittybilt bikini the stitching started to tear after a year it was a decent top. I replaced it with a bestop strapless safari that I ran in the summer for 2 years then year round for 2 years. IMO the bestop was made better.

I prefer the looks of the strapless bikinis.
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The rampage frameless top runs straps and will seal shut around soft doors.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys thanks a lot, I will check out those 3. Thanks for the install tips also!
Pete
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I love my bestop strapless bikini. It takes a few days in the sun to get it completely adjusted right, but once you get it all stretched out it keeps its adjustment well. Its a lil confusing on how to do the back straps at first but you get the hang of it after a few times. My only complaint is if you have a soundbar the middle strap (goes around the main roll bar hoop) is a lil short, but I haven't tried it with out the soundbar. Though I'm sure without the soundbar the middle strap would be plenty long enough.
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
I love my bestop strapless bikini. It takes a few days in the sun to get it completely adjusted right, but once you get it all stretched out it keeps its adjustment well. Its a lil confusing on how to do the back straps at first but you get the hang of it after a few times. My only complaint is if you have a soundbar the middle strap (goes around the main roll bar hoop) is a lil short, but I haven't tried it with out the soundbar. Though I'm sure without the soundbar the middle strap would be plenty long enough.
I have same one without sound bar and its still a little short to get it started but when tight you have 4-5" extra.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.