best replacement for original 1995 YJ under hood jack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best replacement for original 1995 YJ under hood jack?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

best replacement for original 1995 YJ under hood jack?

My old OEM jack finally broke, and I have been risking it too long without something under the hood. I have a hi-lift, but frankly the thing isn't right for normal roadside changes.... I just need the ole under the hood one.

I notice it's not easy to find the old jacks, so I was wondering if you guys had any bright ideas of a good, inexpensive, and worthwhile replacement jack that would fit under the hood, or someplace out of the way?

I am so over the hi-lift. Especially as I was about to actually mount it and my neighbor said it was an obvious drag on mileage..... with gas prices, looking cool isn't as fun as it used to be. =)

UncleFishbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can't use mine anymore. Pay the shipping from Las Vegas and it is yours, just in the way was about to scrap it all. It is complete from an 89. With the lift it is useless.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well that's lovely....

Yeah, I know it's not worth it's weight after a couple inches or more. I do know one friend who uses a two by four to give it the extra reach, but his isn't lifted too high.

how do we do this... want to email unclefishbits@gmail.com with info? I guess I could paypal you, or just send a check?

Cheers, and thanks much...
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Cheap bottle jacks. Come in nice plastic case. You can fit it in the old spot.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A block of hardwood and the stock jack is fine. The axle goes higher at a rate of 1/2(newTireSize-OldTireSize) 28" to 33" only takes the axle up 2.5 inches. Just grab a block of hardwood and keep the factory jack. I'm just saying it has nothing to do with lift high, only tire size. You jack up the axle not the body.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey FishBits, if you make the drive into the valley, I'll get you my old one. Otherwise there are tons of bottle jacks for sale at harbor freight.
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed autozone sells those kind of jacks.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fantastic info. Joker Chief is doing me a solid and sending his. I cannot say how thankful I am for this forum. Love you guys * MAN HUG *

Bottle jacks for sure. Very cool... I figure I can squeeze JC's in easily. If not, bottles it is. Or a lovely drive out to yosemite with a stop in Ripon. =)
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a couple of bottle jacks over the years that stopped working after laying on the side for an extended period. I have no idea if that's common but I try to keep them upright now.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFishbits View Post
Fantastic info. Joker Chief is doing me a solid and sending his. I cannot say how thankful I am for this forum. Love you guys * MAN HUG *

Bottle jacks for sure. Very cool... I figure I can squeeze JC's in easily. If not, bottles it is. Or a lovely drive out to yosemite with a stop in Ripon. =)
There is also a port-o-power which is the ultimate in portable hydraulic bottle jacks with a billion accessories. I just inherited one from the local NG unit in Stockton and it had three boxes of attachments. It'll do everything that a hi lift and bottle jack can ever do. Well, I don't think it's a great winch but it's better than pushing by hand.

Just as a personal note: when it comes to tools, our group will share them instead of everyone having an incomplete set. The xj guys usually have the most room and have to carry the most spare parts so if there was something you need on the trail you wouldn't feel like a lone wolf, you rely on the capacity of the pack. We also stagger our field medical supplies front middle and rear along with enclosing the less capable rigs inside those with winches.
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

HiLift

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
HiLift
Agree. Just get a hi lift. Overkill for a road jeep? yes. BUT.... looks bada$$!
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For $250 you can own one of these! As long as there's no sharp/pointy objects under your Jeep (which I'm sure is very rare out on the trail) you're golden!! Light, compact, easy to store... what more could a Jeep'r want!

A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack , jack mount , jeep , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.