Best replacement axles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best replacement axles?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2001, 10:26 PM   #1
yjjeepin

Best replacement axles?

I need to know some good axles to put in that are easy to put in and not too expensive, and where can i find these axles,on what kind of truck, the axles are going to be on a soa lifted jeep

yjjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2001, 06:42 AM   #2
RodeoRob

For the rear, i bet many would agree the Ford 8.8 is a great swap. They're found on 96+ Explorers. 31 spline, 5 on 4.5", width is about the same, disc brakes, monster tubes... in most cases you could be able to find one for around $400-500, maybe cheaper if you look.

For the front, you might consider staying with your D30. I believe if you have a 95 or newer, you get the D30 with the 297x ujoints. These are the same ujoints on a D44 and this is usually the first point of failure.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2001, 10:33 PM   #3
bighair

hey, normally, if you cahnge the rear, wouldn't you also change the fromt if you had the ca$$?? and would it be possible to swap the front of the ford as well??

Thanks
Reg
Unread 10-20-2001, 12:37 AM   #4
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only mandated change to the front that could be dictated by a rear axle swap is gear ratios. For example, I'm having a Dana 60 installed next Thursday, but the only change to the front end is that I'm having 4.56:1 gears installed in an otherwise stock Dana 30. Reason being is that my rig has 3.07 gears right now, but 3.07's don't exist for a D60 (not that I'd want 'em if they did... ). Hence, I am forced to regear the front axle to accommodate the rear.

The Dana 30 reverse-cut model that's standard on YJ's is a fairly decent axle from what I've seen, and '95 and later (I believe) use the same steering U-joints as it's big brother Dana 44. Get rid of the hokey vacuum disconnect, and the D30 is quite a rugged little axle for it's size. Cheers!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2001, 09:57 AM   #5
bob91yj

The Ford 8.8" axle seems to be popular, but not the best option. It still has C-clips, which means you still have to carry spare axle shafts. I'll probably go the D44/D60 route whaen I upgrade. I was pretty much set on the D44, but Nightclaws research has me leaning toward the D60 now. It seems there's only a couple hundred dollars difference between the two, at least at MIT.
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:29 PM   #6
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

I am maybe getting a 93 YJ 6cyl and I want 35" BFG MT's and I was wondering what I need to do underneath the Jeep. (gears, drivetrain, axles)

Thanks

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 10:46 PM   #7
kidwired

Quote:
Originally posted by bighair:
hey, normally, if you cahnge the rear, wouldn't you also change the fromt if you had the ca$$?? and would it be possible to swap the front of the ford as well??

Thanks
Reg
No and yes
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:06 AM   #8
Keith Strong

1978-9 Ford F250 D60's front and rear.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.