Best (reasonable) junkyard swaybar for YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Best (reasonable) junkyard swaybar for YJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Best (reasonable) junkyard swaybar for YJ

(Search isn't finding any answers so I think I'm asking something which isn't asked often.)

Long story short, I've gone SOA which has lowered my rig and given me much better flex up front.

After 6 years without, I need a sway bar again. My old sway bar is at the bottom of some scrap pile at a dealership.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best sway bar to pull from Pull-a-Part? We don't have any Wranglers in our pull-a-part but we have many XJs and WJs.

PS: I know about the electric disconnect sway bar off the new jeeps for $1700. I've *heard* about using a Chevy torsion bar as a sway bar similar to a Currie Anti-rock bar. I couldn't find supporting information. Thank you.

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just put an ad in the classifieds section for one.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you know anyone who is traveling to Vegas, trucker or otherwise, you can have mine. Because it's a desert Jeep, it's still factory painted black. All the rubber is still in good shape. I even saved the factory hardware.

It's free but how can I get it to you?
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I put an ad in a local jeep club and a couple guys answered.

I'm still curious about what I'd heard using a Chevy truck torsion bar to make your own Currie anti-rock sway bar. I can't find any info on that one.
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I for one would love to know how you went SOA and lowered your ride by doing it.

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I for one would love to know how you went SOA and lowered your ride by doing it.

it's that new suspension system that's all the rage... Springs On Asphalt
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
it's that new suspension system that's all the rage... Springs On Asphalt
Oh yeah, I heard about that. I hear the sparks make great underbody lighting! Especially after the ATF coming out of your slip yolk ignites!
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sure! I had ghetto 4" lift springs and 1" boom shackles. I switched over to bastard pack Isuzu Rodeo / Cherokee springs, restoring to factory shackles and moving the hangers forward.

It's really a great suspension. While I'm at it I want to tighten it up in turns.

Stretch + LCOG is the way to go.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Sure! I had ghetto 4" lift springs and 1" boom shackles. I switched over to bastard pack Isuzu Rodeo / Cherokee springs, restoring to factory shackles and moving the hangers forward.

It's really a great suspension. While I'm at it I want to tighten it up in turns.

Stretch + LCOG is the way to go.
Maybe it's just me, but I think stretching is stupid. The reason we don't drive trucks instead of Jeeps is because we WANT the short wheelbase with the high ground clearance. Lengthening your wheelbase = lower ground clearance.

I can see why some people do the stretch, but really, just going with big tires will give you the same effect, and keep your ground clearance.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a complete sway bar setup with brand new links for the front of a YJ. Its extended sway bar links, not sure how long from stock they are
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I think stretching is stupid. The reason we don't drive trucks instead of Jeeps is because we WANT the short wheelbase with the high ground clearance. Lengthening your wheelbase = lower ground clearance.

I can see why some people do the stretch, but really, just going with big tires will give you the same effect, and keep your ground clearance.
In reality, we all build the jeeps the way we want them. You have your 31" tires and Dana 35 axle...that's your choice.

I'm trying to do a little different. I've ran your setup in the past, I'm trying something different now. If you want a shorter wheel base vehicle that's your choice. You can even shorten yours if you like.

I think there is probably an evolution of a jeeper and there is a chance you might make it this far some time. Later on, you might get the desire to run 35s and 37s, you might experience a roll over or two, you might start doing some hard trails where a 4" lift isn't feasible. You might not.

We all build our rigs the way WE want and I'm not about to tell anybody how to build their own rig.

Back on topic -- it doesn't sound like anybody has any advice on the best junkyard sway bar for our rigs.
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Simply because when you lift a Jeep and put bigger tires on it you loose the original HEIGHT-to-LENGTH ratio that made it so capable from the factory. This ratio is further exaggerated when we add bigger tires and lower gears which create's more torque resulting in a very unstable feeling on and off-road!

The magic number seems to be around 100" for most people it works well in most situations. I am stretched 4", two in front and two in rear. I had many factors in wanting to stretch it. for instance in the front of YJ's if you go up to a 35" tire the first time you flex it out an turn the wheel you are into the back of the fender plus I think there is too much that sticks out in front of a YJ, the closer to the front of the jeep the tire is the better your approach angle and vise versa with the rear. In the rear the longer the driveshaft the better the angle you have. The bigger the tire you go on a stock YJ wheelbase the more unstable you will feel climbing hills and what not. I like my 4" stretch with 35's it feels verly stable climbing.

On topic I've heard Toyota torsion bars work good as sway bars. All in all without a lot of trial and error it might be best to go with a stock sway bar, if it will still fit with your stretch.
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
On topic I've heard Toyota torsion bars work good as sway bars. All in all without a lot of trial and error it might be best to go with a stock sway bar, if it will still fit with your stretch.
Bam!

This is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want a "status quo" sway bar if possible. I'd like to get a little creative. I might start looking around at this.

Now I need to learn about torsion bars...
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
In reality, we all build the jeeps the way we want them. You have your 31" tires and Dana 35 axle...that's your choice.

I'm trying to do a little different. I've ran your setup in the past, I'm trying something different now. If you want a shorter wheel base vehicle that's your choice. You can even shorten yours if you like.

I think there is probably an evolution of a jeeper and there is a chance you might make it this far some time. Later on, you might get the desire to run 35s and 37s, you might experience a roll over or two, you might start doing some hard trails where a 4" lift isn't feasible. You might not.

We all build our rigs the way WE want and I'm not about to tell anybody how to build their own rig.

Back on topic -- it doesn't sound like anybody has any advice on the best junkyard sway bar for our rigs.
Yeah, I get that. I eventually want 35s. Some people have the money to build their Jeeps, some people have to wait for years and leave it the way they bought it. I was actually going to swap out the D35 not too long ago, but the 10-bolt I was going to swap in wouldn't have made enough of a difference to make it worth the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Simply because when you lift a Jeep and put bigger tires on it you loose the original HEIGHT-to-LENGTH ratio that made it so capable from the factory. This ratio is further exaggerated when we add bigger tires and lower gears which create's more torque resulting in a very unstable feeling on and off-road!

The magic number seems to be around 100" for most people it works well in most situations. I am stretched 4", two in front and two in rear. I had many factors in wanting to stretch it. for instance in the front of YJ's if you go up to a 35" tire the first time you flex it out an turn the wheel you are into the back of the fender plus I think there is too much that sticks out in front of a YJ, the closer to the front of the jeep the tire is the better your approach angle and vise versa with the rear. In the rear the longer the driveshaft the better the angle you have. The bigger the tire you go on a stock YJ wheelbase the more unstable you will feel climbing hills and what not. I like my 4" stretch with 35's it feels verly stable climbing.
Okay thank you. That explains the issue much better. I have driven a stock-length TJ on 35" tires, now I know why it felt so odd.

As far as torsion bars go, seems like you should be able to mount it across the front end, with bars coming off at the ends pointing rear. Then you could use the regular sway-bar disconnects to attach those bars to the axle. I would think any torsion bar would work for this kind of setup, but it's the same as using a regular sway bar. How exactly are you wanting it mounted?
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If I understand what sooner is wanting correctly is he wants something similar to an anti-rock sway bar, but without the price tag. It may take a bit of RI to make work. with a torsion bar mounted through the front tube crossmember with some bushings. you would have to build some kind of arm with splines in it to attach to the axle.
Here is a link to a Pirate thread on themhttp://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...d-swaybar.html

Tags
junkyard , swaybar , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.