best muffler/exhaust system! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > best muffler/exhaust system!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-31-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

best muffler/exhaust system!

OK so I'm not trying to start any wars over flow master diehard vs. Magnaflow fanboy, I simply want to hear your guys opinions and experiences with the mufflers you put on your jeep. I'm about to buy a new exhaust and would like to know what the best quality, performance (and sound) muffler you have ever stuffed under your rigs!

Unread 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCwheelin View Post
OK so I'm not trying to start any wars over flow master diehard vs. Magnaflow fanboy, I simply want to hear your guys opinions and experiences with the mufflers you put on your jeep. I'm about to buy a new exhaust and would like to know what the best quality, performance (and sound) muffler you have ever stuffed under your rigs!
Performance Its a jeep. Magnaflow, dynomax, etc. generally the same.

If you are running a stock engine , gets whatever is $$$ / warranty makes sense to you.

Sound Its a jeep
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

As previously stated it's a jeep...your not gonna get any crazy improved performance. That being said I have an 88 YJ with the 4.2L, it has the Borla cat back I bought it years ago (8+) cause it was stainless. No rust all these years later...but I don't really care for the exhaust note that it produces and aside from that its EXTREMELY expensive in my book.

That being said...I've had Flowmasters on 3 of my other jeeps and I've absolutely loved them! Durable, sound great and didn't break the bank. I've had a 40 series on an 87 XJ 4.0L, 50 Series on my liberty 3.7L and another 40 series on my 89 Comanche 4.0L. Best part of all the Comanche 40 series was snagged from a u pick u pull junk yard for $10!!
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ive run cherry bombs, banks, and flowmasters on my jeep.
Best sounding:
1. Banks (nice low tone, got a little quieter at high rpm's)
2. Flowmaster (light buzz sound)
3. Cherry bomb (kinda ricey at high rpm's)
Best performance:
1. Cherry bomb
2/3 flowmaster and banks felt the same
Durability:
1. Banks (only got rid of it because I destroyed the flange trying to change the tailpipe)
2. flowmaster (my jeep backfires a lot and blew one of the baffles loose so it rattled. still great muffler)
3. cherry bomb (my jeep blew 2 of them apart before i went to flowmaster)
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys and no I'm not expecting to win any drag races with my jeep as soon as I slap a muffler on (like any of us would race a jeep anyways) just mainly want a better exhaust note. I've heard a lot of good things about flow master, but anyone hear anything about borla? There is a god deal on them at my local muffler shop
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
As previously stated it's a jeep...your not gonna get any crazy improved performance. That being said I have an 88 YJ with the 4.2L, it has the Borla cat back I bought it years ago (8+) cause it was stainless. No rust all these years later...but I don't really care for the exhaust note that it produces and aside from that its EXTREMELY expensive in my book.

That being said...I've had Flowmasters on 3 of my other jeeps and I've absolutely loved them! Durable, sound great and didn't break the bank. I've had a 40 series on an 87 XJ 4.0L, 50 Series on my liberty 3.7L and another 40 series on my 89 Comanche 4.0L. Best part of all the Comanche 40 series was snagged from a u pick u pull junk yard for $10!!
Yeah I just found out that the flow masters are a way better deal than borlas at my muffler shop, probably going to get a 40 series
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCwheelin View Post

Yeah I just found out that the flow masters are a way better deal than borlas at my muffler shop, probably going to get a 40 series
As far as the quality and sound you will not be disappointed! The mufflers casing is extremely thick...I've definitely dragged mine across rocks and it's definitely taken a lickin with no problem!
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The best system is the one that keeps all the icky hot gasses contained until it gets out the back of the Jeep. Don't waste money on those fancy screen ones
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I run a Spintech muffler in my 87 YJ and it sounds better than anything else I had run previously (open, glasspack, cheap turbo). Probably similar sound to a flowmaster on a stock 4.2. I mainly got it because I needed a very small muffler to work with my 4-link susp.

My wife's YJ (4.0) came with a glasspack (unknown brand or size) and it sounded pretty good. That surprised me because a glasspack on my 4.2 sounded terrible. Anyhow, her muffler had a hole in it so I replaced the entire system from the manifold back. I used a Dynomax Pro-flo muffler and it sounds good. It has one spot in the RPM range with a weird buzz to it, but overall it sounds fine.

Since you are in CA I presume you will just be looking for cat-back options pass inspection. Considering the cost of most cat-back systems I'd rather buy a muffler and a replacement OE tailpipe if needed and save a bunch. I replaced everything from the manifold back on my wife's Jeep for about $160 or so. That was a TJ down pipe, an adapter, a couple parts store sections of exhaust tube, the muffler, and a YJ tailpipe.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
1320yj

I am running a welded Thrush muffler, it sounds like a Flowmaster and is made similar to one but its a whole lot cheaper.
Less than $40.00
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just put new exhaust on mine. Ran 2.5" exhaust pipe the whole back with a Summit knock off of a Flow master and it sounds GREAT!!! The funny thing is now its as loud as the strait pipe I took off, but has a better tone.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The best exhaust is a custom exhaust as strait as possible with mandrel bends and fully welded 2.5" pipe with a decent header , As for mufflers its all preference all I use are Magnaflow mufflers
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep with a flowmaster , a header, and a cam

GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris
My jeep with a flowmaster , a header, and a cam Video Link: http://youtu.be/Q2wGSEA9yaU GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
Dot mind the rattle, a mount fell of and te pipe rattles some times

GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am running the PaceSetter 2.5" cat-back. Quality, it amazing... However, it's a bit too loud. Not bad at all with the hard top, but with the soft top or with the top off.... It's a bit annoying around 3,000 rpm.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.