Best doorless mirror solution - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Best doorless mirror solution

I'm looking to move mirrors to the body in some way but I haven't found an acceptable solution so far.

I'm looking for mirrors that will be useful on the road and highway, not just something to "get me legal." I happen think there are laws about mirrors for a reason and I appreciate the mirrors being there.

I'm also looking for mirrors that are usable with full doors on the Jeep. If there's a pair that doesn't interfere with the doors and doesn't need to be reset every time I open and close them, I haven't found it.

So, what's your best solution?

92 YJ Islander Sold!

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Krochus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You know there's not exactly a vehicle sized blind spot in back of a topless jeep.

Think Green recycle your YJ's sway and trac bars today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
post #3 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
You know there's not exactly a vehicle sized blind spot in back of a topless jeep.
No, that's one of the nice things about a Wrangler on the road. But it's slightly different with top and doors on, and it's not always convenient to have to turn around and look over one's shoulder to see what's back there, even if it is usually visible that way.

92 YJ Islander Sold!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 PM
goofy1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you can find a pair of harley mirrors they drop right in your door hinge and you can use the acorn nut to keep them in place, and they are functional
post #5 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Nexron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was just gonna say that, harley mirror ftw! I only use one and it fits right in, with the rubber washer on top and the acorn nut on bottom it never moves, and looks good. Honestly i almost never use it, when the top or doors are off i just look back rq, theres no blind spot!
post #6 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Krochus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have an OLD 50s style mirror I just bolt on using one of the dash bolts.

They came off my 66 f100 but weren't original to it.

Think Green recycle your YJ's sway and trac bars today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
post #7 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

While these will need to be removed (easy enough a caveman could do it ) if doors are to be used.....just tossing out ideas.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...overs-1016551/
post #8 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the use of Harley mirrors in the top hinge.

An alternative I have wondered about - I don't recall ever having seen anyone try this - would be to fabricate flat plates that tie into the lower windshield plates (three bolts) and extend straight out past the bodywork. If you did this, you could run a larger mirror, like a generic pickup truck mirror. For sure that would give you a more usable mirror as you are not going to see much out of a Harley mirror.

EDIT: It looks like Joe Dillard was thinking along the same lines. I like what he came up with - I was thinking of tying into the other three bolts that tie the w/s in place - but his solution looks really slick and might be a better way to do it.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another fan of the Harley mirrors. I got mine free and it drops right in to the upper door hinge. Sure it is a little on the small size. However, it complies with the local laws and I have never been a fan of trusting mirrors. I always take a quick look over my shoulder before changing lanes no matter what mirror I have.

1990 Jeep YJ 4.2
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Gorf
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with the mirror movers from Quadratec? I just installed mine yeasterday and I had no problem adjusting them to see my blind spots. The trick is that you have to adjust the passenger's side mirror so you can see it through the windshield. If you don't mind it looking a little odd the passenger's side can be turned fully forward and you can see the whole mirror, it just won't match driver's side.

1997 Black XJ Sport
Black Jeep Club Member #6.022 x 10^23
4.0L/AW4/NP231/D30/8.25

"Nothing is more dangerous than a handyman with a mission."
post #11 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprowley View Post
I'm looking to move mirrors to the body in some way but I haven't found an acceptable solution so far...

I'm also looking for mirrors that are usable with full doors on the Jeep. If there's a pair that doesn't interfere with the doors and doesn't need to be reset every time I open and close them, I haven't found it.

So, what's your best solution?
What about CJ style mirrors mounted to the windshield hinge? When mounted correctly they shouldn't interfere with the doors.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out page 15 of my build thread. (In Signature) I took some off an 80's Dodge Truck and painted them. Works great and looks like they were made for it. It works for the "No Door" times

1947 CJ-2A
1953 CJ-3B "Ray"
1957 CJ-3b "Jeep with no Name" Parts Donor
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :

My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :

My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build:
]

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior
post #13 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just moved my mirrors from door pin mount to roll bar mount yesterday. I love the views from the mirrors now and they are pretty vib-free. Just a couple 1" muffler clamps around the roll bar and some home made mounting bars from " conduit. I got this idea from another Jeep Forum user that substituted wing nuts for tool-free removal and he used smaller round convex mirrors. I will be switching to those very soon as these mirrors are a little too big making them obtrusive.

Here's his (username mwater) version. Pretty smart...

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
post #14 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
What about CJ style mirrors mounted to the windshield hinge? When mounted correctly they shouldn't interfere with the doors.
I'll second the CJ mirrors. Don't get the cheap ones that mount to the side of the windshield frame though. Spend a little extra and get the ones that mount to the front side of the windshield hinge.

The Cj mirrors that I have, work great with the hard top, and hard doors, as well as the soft top and soft doors, and because they are mounted to the body, I don't have to do anything when I take the doors off.

Oh, and here's a little something that I came up with. There is a bolt that holds the mirror arm to the mounting bracket. Replace that bolt with a "cam bolt" type fastener. With The cam bolt in place of the regular bolt, I can fold the mirror down against the hood without having to get out any tools. That way, I don't have to worry about taking the mirror off on a tree wile on the trail.
here's a pic,

maroon 1987 Grand Wagoneer. stock for now...
post #15 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
I'll second the CJ mirrors. Don't get the cheap ones that mount to the side of the windshield frame though. Spend a little extra and get the ones that mount to the front side of the windshield hinge.

The Cj mirrors that I have, work great with the hard top, and hard doors, as well as the soft top and soft doors, and because they are mounted to the body, I don't have to do anything when I take the doors off.

Oh, and here's a little something that I came up with. There is a bolt that holds the mirror arm to the mounting bracket. Replace that bolt with a "cam bolt" type fastener. With The cam bolt in place of the regular bolt, I can fold the mirror down against the hood without having to get out any tools. That way, I don't have to worry about taking the mirror off on a tree wile on the trail.
here's a pic,
Hmmm that might be the way I have to go. I like the CJ mirror look too.

I'd do the Harley mirror thing but I'm looking for a solution that I can use with doors on and off, not something I drop in the hinge.

Do I have to get new windshield hinges with the mirror holes or can I use my factory hinges?

92 YJ Islander Sold!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.