bent passenger side upper door half - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bent passenger side upper door half

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

bent passenger side upper door half

the passenger side upper door half frame is bent, not severely, but enough to where you have to slam the door to get it to shut, and to where its blows open on anyone trying to open it.

would it be worth the trouble just to replace the frame? or is it to much work and should I just get a whole new upper half with material and all.

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From your description I presume it's a half door with a cloth covered upper that has a bent frame. I have a set of soft doors (the whole door) that are made of bent 1/4 inch steel rod - a work bench, a couple of clamps, hammer and sometimes a torch is all you should need to "re-adjust" the upper door frame - at least that's what I've used to adjust the used soft doors to my jeep and it seems to have worked. I found the torch very helpful in getting the precise bend without forcing it too far one way or the other.

If they're the full steel doors, you'll certainly need something like an oxy-acetylene torch (or something like it) to fix any bends - I'm currently in the process of burning the rust spots out of mine and welding in new metal where necessary (that's why I'm using the soft doors right now).
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I had the soft upper door halves I bent them in towards the jeep on purpose to get a better seal and less wind noise and rain in the jeep. The only drawback was that whenever my wife tried to open the door it knocked her down
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons
From your description I presume it's a half door with a cloth covered upper that has a bent frame. a work bench, a couple of clamps, hammer and sometimes a torch is all you should need to "re-adjust" the upper door frame
you are correct well as far as salvaging the unit, I dont have the torch, but I do have clamps, so I will try, if that doesnt work then I'll look into a new unit.

thanks for the help
Unread 08-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

well I got it to a much better position now with a mallet, still not perfect but much more tolerable....saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.