bending shift lever - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bending shift lever

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

bending shift lever

I added new seats and they ended up being a lot wider and bigger than stock. I'm really happy with them except for one problem/irritant, when shifting to 2nd gear the knob hits the right front cushion. Not a big deal but it bothers me. How difficult is it to bend the lever forward/straighter? anybody done this?

Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's been done before for the same problem seat clearance. It would take some heat to get it bent correctly. Maybe drive it to a welding shop or some one with a torch. Remove the shifter heat it up and bend.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462
It's been done before for the same problem seat clearance. It would take some heat to get it bent correctly. Maybe drive it to a welding shop or some one with a torch. Remove the shifter heat it up and bend.
It's really as simple as that. I wouldn't imagine a welding shop would even charge you. You probably could do it with a propane torch and a vice, but it would take a lot for it to get hot enough from a bottle that most have at home. An acetylene torch will make quick work of that. Literally 60 seconds and its done.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
I used a propane torch and a pipe wrench get it red hot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.