Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Belt is squealing and I can't figure it out

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  texas_yj 
#1 ·
Alright guys, this may sound crazy... But my belt is squealing and I can't get it to stop. It does it for maybe the first 4 minutes of driving then it ceases to do so again. If you let it set for a while, not even overnight, it will do it again, but if you drive it shortly after, nothing. I have replaced the idler pulley and this did not fix it, and it is a brand new belt. It gets louder and faster with the RPMs. What other part could be making the belt squeal with these results? I have got to get this stopped guys, the ladies do not like to see a squealy Jeep rolling by.... Ha.

#3 ·
check the belt to make sure there is no cracks or anything on it... my jeep and my silverado both did this it would squel at start up and then stop when it ran for a while it especially did it after it rained or in the winter. I changed the belts and it stoped. I don't know if you have a 4cyl or 6cly but on my four cylinder the power steering pump is the only adjustment for the belt I would check that to make sure the belt is tight. If those dont fix it it may be a the power steering pump or water pump or alternator.

#5 ·
Several years when I put on a new oem belt on my Jeep I had the same problem when I turned the a/c on. The belt was plenty tight and the old belt did not do this. It eventually went away. It seemed like the new belt needed to break in although I have never had this happen on any other vehicles I have owned.

#6 ·
I thought my belt was squealing a certain temps. It went away then the squeal turned to a rattling followed by my idler pulley falling off. This all took place over a month long period. The rattle to pulley falling off took two days.

#7 ·
Over time,both the belts and pulleys get a glaze on them.Try cleaning the pulleys.
Go with a good name belt.I have a store brand belt on my car.Very noisy

#8 ·
mine did that and it turned out to be the bearings going out in the alternator. hope thats not your case, but it did allow me to upgrade to higher amp alt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.