Belt Level Tensioner Bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Belt Level Tensioner Bolt

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Belt Level Tensioner Bolt

I have checked at all the local Auto Parts shops and no one has this bolt... Will a stealership have one or am i screwed and destined to search scrap yards??? It snapped while removing the steering pump and I cant reinstall the belt without it.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I broke mine a while ago. I used a piece of threaded rod and made my own. IIRC, the original is 5/16" fine thread, but all I had was coarse. So I had to re-tap the threads in the female end. I welded a nut to the top of the rod, but two nuts jammed together should work, too.
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check with a fastener shop and see if you can find a long 5/16 NF thread - I believe you should have plenty of room for the "head end" to stick out. Alternatively, you can use ritjobbie's idea of making your own, but I would get a 5/16" rod and thread that with the fine thread pattern. I'd recommend running a tap through the adjustment nut - that's where it normally rusts shut. Use some anti-seize on the whole bolt when you install it so that it won't rust shut again.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all the auto parts stores as well as specialty fastener shops etc... no one carried a bolt threaded like this one... its 110mm and threaded the whole way. I actually went to the local dealer and spent $20 on it... $20!! For a $.50 bolt.... oh well, at least I have it now and can finish the project.

KCCO
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
I have checked at all the local Auto Parts shops and no one has this bolt... Will a stealership have one or am i screwed and destined to search scrap yards??? It snapped while removing the steering pump and I cant reinstall the belt without it.
If you went in and asked for a jeep belt Tensioner Bolt they dont know what you mean. If you took the old one with you I bet they could match it up.

Anything to keep from going to the dealer.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC View Post
If you went in and asked for a jeep belt Tensioner Bolt they dont know what you mean. If you took the old one with you I bet they could match it up.

Anything to keep from going to the dealer.
No disrespect, BUT OF COURSE I TOOK THE OLD BOLT IN WITH ME!! When I say I went to specialty shops etc, I mean Home Depot/Lowes/The Nutty Co./ Hardware stores/on line Jeep shops like 4wd.com and morris/Fastenal etc... for Fastenal and the Nutty Co, this is what they do - nuts and bolts. The threading on this particular bolt is an issue - the top inch of threading is the important part and NO bolts have more than just an inch or two on the bottom.

So anyway after all the searching the dealer had it.

KCCO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.