''behind Dashboard Noise'' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ''behind Dashboard Noise''

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
rio jeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

''behind Dashboard Noise''

On my jeep I have the most annoying noise behind my dashboard everytime i hit a bump in the road it sounds like a piece of tin is flappin around but dont know what it is and where its comin from , its actually driving me crazy. Does anyone know what it could be and if so the easiest way to get to it. To me it sounds like the ventilation. Thanx for any replies.

rio jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Probably something that fell behind your windsheild a long time ago. Drop the windsheild & see what's alive or dead back there.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would start by lowering the windshield. This can be done by unbolting the the 3 torx on each rollbar-windshield connections and 1 bolt on each side above the speakers. Lower the dash very slowly and then you can look behind the dash or even take it off to look at the ventilation. Be careful not to mess up the rubber cowl because chances are its never been replaced and possibly dry rotted.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try the above suggestions. If the problem persists, then does the noise seam to transmit through the throttle pedal? If so then place a folded wash cloth under each hood hinge, then close the hood on them. This will create extra pressure on the hinges and seperate the the hood from the cowl. If the noise subsides, then remove the wash cloths and replace the weatherstripping between the hood and the cowl. The OEM weatherstripping collapses over the years and allows the hood to knock against the cowl creating a very annoying noise,... especially when on washboard roads. The wash cloth trick will rule this out quickly and at no cost.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I think I know the noise he is talking about, it is centered mostly, slightly biased to the passenger side? metallic and shallow in sound and sounding like its inside the dashboard?

Mine has that sound and has had it forever, ironicly its the only rattle I have too. I haven't tried real hard to find it yet though, it doesn't bother me that much, but if I did fix it, my YJ will ride totally quiet
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my under dash banging noise ended up being the rear track bar. I don't know how but when I took that stupid thing off all of the under dash rattles and floor pan vibes went away.
for-play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
rio jeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

where is the rear track bar located
rio jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
tbutler954
1994 YJ Wrangler 

TIN Rattle sound on front end

This bothered me for almost a YEAR and i finally found it... every time i went over a bump it sounded like a light piece of metal flapping against something...SOO Annoying!!

HERE IT IS... READY FOR IT?? >>IT IS NOT VENTILATION... AS I THOUGHT AS WELL<<
The stupid little bracket that holds the black rod that supports the hood when it's up. THAT'S IT... I SWEAR!!

Grab a pair of pliers and pinch the two metal ends above the hinge close together and it goes away.

Over time, it gets loosened and that black hood rod starts rattling in its housing. It sounded right under my dash but it was all the way in front of my engine... sound travels...
tbutler954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
MommasJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbutler954 View Post
This bothered me for almost a YEAR and i finally found it... every time i went over a bump it sounded like a light piece of metal flapping against something...SOO Annoying!!

HERE IT IS... READY FOR IT?? >>IT IS NOT VENTILATION... AS I THOUGHT AS WELL<<
The stupid little bracket that holds the black rod that supports the hood when it's up. THAT'S IT... I SWEAR!!

Grab a pair of pliers and pinch the two metal ends above the hinge close together and it goes away.

Over time, it gets loosened and that black hood rod starts rattling in its housing. It sounded right under my dash but it was all the way in front of my engine... sound travels...

THANK YOU!!!!!! Between some weatherstripping issues and that FREAKING TIN RATTLING I had been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my YJ. I really couldn't take it anymore. No matter how loud we had the music... that sound just drilled into your teeth!!

Then, I came to your posting and I had hope! Just got back from the most WONDERFUL and un-annoying ride I've had in years!!

I really am thankful for your post. Have a great night!!

MommasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What was rattling?
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
95digiYJ

What an awesome post. Same deal here, and I could have sworn it was right in the heater duct area or coming from the shifter......sure enough that support rattles the very sound I hear when I hit the bumps. It's 10 of 5am, feel like taking it for a rattle free spin now. Great job
95digiYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
MommasJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's under the hood... the bar over the radiator that holds the hood up... right at the joint. It's funny how the sound travels. Couple of adjustments, some WD40, and some hard rubber pieces to hold it in place. TA-DA!!
MommasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

A penny! The wife was flipping out about this big clanking. It sounded like the dash was going to fall off.More or less her words .After tearing the dash apart ;it was nothing more than somones loose change.So again more time on hers less time on mine.
Murder is illegal and divorce is to expensive.So I am stuck with her.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
gmm142
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you!!!
gmm142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Try the above suggestions. If the problem persists, then does the noise seam to transmit through the throttle pedal? If so then place a folded wash cloth under each hood hinge, then close the hood on them. This will create extra pressure on the hinges and seperate the the hood from the cowl. If the noise subsides, then remove the wash cloths and replace the weatherstripping between the hood and the cowl. The OEM weatherstripping collapses over the years and allows the hood to knock against the cowl creating a very annoying noise,... especially when on washboard roads. The wash cloth trick will rule this out quickly and at no cost.
Thank you!

The sound started yesterday and it sounded like my transmission was trying to get in the Jeep and I could feel it on the floor board. Reading this I threw two wash cloths under the hood not expecting it to do any thing and the noise is compleatly gone. Now the only thing that rattles on my YJ is the spare tire in the swing out.

So is there anything special about Jeep hood weather striping from quadratec for $23 or can I just get some all purpose weather striping from home depot?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12503_4000.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.