Which bedliner is the best?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which bedliner is the best??

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
xtremescootr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Which bedliner is the best??

Im looking for a bedliner for my YJ and i might do the fenders too. I'm looking into commercial grade linex because i hear its the best and its not super shiny. Also has anyone ever linex the fenders and will the bedliner fade?

xtremescootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to do my tub. I was planning on using herculiner for mine. The line-x stuff your thinking of should be good too, maybe better. The professional stuff seems to be the best, just stay away from the cheap crap and make sure you prep it good.
BigDeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i herc'd

its got a little shine, but i think it looks good
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I Herculined mine and was very happy with the results. Total cost was about $125, kit gloves and prep equipment, and took a weekend to do. I did gut out everything in the tub.
p6070040.jpg   p6070033.jpg  
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, my local NAPA is having the $69.00 gallon kit sale with an additional $25.00 rebate right now. Don't know if this is a national deal or not.
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You suck, it's like $175 cdn. for me. No deals.
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My kit was $89. I bought just before the rebate. Most places here in NJ are around $100. I bought a 3 pack of Scotchbrite pads, 1 gallon of Xylene and some serious rubber gloves. I didn't get any on my Hootus either. It doesn't stay shiney for long BTW. It holds dirt in it's rough surface. For that reason I wouldn't do the exterior unless you like the dirty look.
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I plan on using the clear coat to help keep mine looking clean and new. On a side not, anyone ever heard of "tumbler" think its called. i bought a big jug of it to prep my tub before it got painted, suppossed to be a wax and grease remover, was wondering if i could use that to prep instead of buying a whole nother jug of the xylene stuff?

edit- the "tumbler" was used before i painted the outside of the tub w/ reg. auto paint, should be good enough for the int?
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
I Herculined mine and was very happy with the results. Total cost was about $125, kit gloves and prep equipment, and took a weekend to do. I did gut out everything in the tub.
What did you do with your floor plugs? Did they pop back in, or did you tape off where the plugs sit. Seen it done different ways, but it'de be way easier if they just popped back in.
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I left the floor plugs out. I used 1" plastic plugs and they popped right back in. The factory plugs will also fit back in. If you get way too much around the hole you can use a razor to clear out the hole and a light sanding wheel on a Dremel to smooth the herc around the hole.
I used foam ear plugs for the smaller bolt holes and wadded up tape for the larger ones. I did run tape along the edges of the door sills so I didn't have any oop's to clean up.
Xylene is a must with Herc. It's the only thing that will remove it if you get it someplace you didn't want to. I did wash out the tub with a water based degreaser first though and then wiped it all out with Xylene just befor I applied the Herc.
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any of the bedline sprays will fade if exposed to the sun.
My brother ownes a bedliner business and there is no way to keep it looking new unless you cover it up.
My F150'S bed looked good for 2 yrs then last summer i took the toneau cover off for the summer and it faded.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
HalfShaft
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Herculiner is the best of the roll on varieties. 3 years later and it is still on my buddies driveway. should have used a tarp. By the way I didn't even prep the driveway. Nothing will take it off, not even the snow plow.

YJ looks great with it. The plugs in the floor, went right over them. Then I cut an X in them when finished. Keeps the water out but lets it drain. Stuck golf tees into the holes for the bolts. Prepped with a sanding block and a BASF pre paint prep.

Liked it so much I got carried away and did the frame for the cargo trailer, frame for the Excursion and the entire plywood snowmobile trailer deck. For the sled trailer I added 2 cups of fine aquarium gravel, black, no-slip in the winter.

Bombproof

Halfshaft

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited - "Rose"
1994 Wrangler - "White Whale"
2000 Ford F250 Diesel - "Bigfoot"
2000 Ford Excursion V10 - "Hungry"
HalfShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about herc'ing my tub but it kinda looked sloppy to from most pics I saw of it, so I did some more searching and came across the u-pol raptor bedliner. To me it looks more uniform, not so blotchy. Its sprayed on but the gun and for bottles come with the kit. All that is need is an air compressor. Thats what I plan to do this spring.
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
ChasY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on doing the Raptor Liner also. They make a tintable base too. I'm planning on doing the inside black and the outside yellow
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
Any of the bedline sprays will fade if exposed to the sun.
My brother ownes a bedliner business and there is no way to keep it looking new unless you cover it up.
My F150'S bed looked good for 2 yrs then last summer i took the toneau cover off for the summer and it faded.
Herculiner has a clear topcoat that'll protect it from the uv and keep it looking new. Just like por15, will fade if exposed to the sun. I'm doing the topcoat as well and it's supposed to take care of all of that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.