Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Beadlocks--Homemade VS Store Bought

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chris_ce 
#1 ·
Ok folks, I have a question: is it cheaper/easier/more functional/aesthetically pleasing to either use a DIY beadlock kit, store bought set-up, or all homebrew stuff?
I would prefer to either use a DIY kit or find someone with a CNC and bribe them with beer just for the simple fact that it would be "homemade". However, I only have minimal welding skills and even fewer funds (like most of us). For those of you with beadlocks, what is your opinion? It is not an immediate project, but something that has slowly been moving up on my project list. I want to make sure I research before I even think about starting.

So, thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I agree with not welding them yourself if you are not that good at welding. Even with decent skills it can be difficult to get an air tight weld bead. I actually ordered an extra ring to do my spare (which I did first) and sure enough, it leaked. took some time to find and fill the little pinholes, but the other four worked perfectly. Got my kit from great lakes offroad.

here is an article I did on installing my DIY weld on beadlocks
http://jeepaholics.com/support/Topic582757.aspx

#5 ·
I have been looking all over this tiny town (pop. 3500) for someone who can do larger, better weld jobs for me. Have yet to find one :( Had a buddy who had his own welding business, but sadly he moved to New Mexico. Guess I could head down the mountain to Denver. But like I said, no rush on this so its no big worry. Yet!

92, nice article. Thanks a lot!

#6 ·
my pleasure. took me about a week to do it all but i took it slow and did one wheel per day. took a lot of muscle to remove the tires from the wheels, then clean the paint off the weld area, weld, let cool, paint, muscle tires back onto rims, and took forever to tighten and torque 32 bolts per wheel.

#7 ·
For those of you with beadlocks, what is your opinion?
Have you tried looking in the for sale forum here or on various forums for a set of used beadlocks?

It took me a few months before I finally found the exact wheels I wanted, but it was worth the wait and the price was excellent too.

I needed a set of 17x8's with a WBP of 8x6.5" and 5.25" back spacing due to the high steer arms I'm running.

These are the Walker Evans I found/picked up:

#8 ·
The price it cost in steel is about them same as you can buy a DIY kit. It's a great opportunity to get better at welding. Don't worry to much about the pin holes try to get them all but if you don't it's not the end of the world. Run a bead of RTV around the tire before you clamp it down and the pin holes are taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.