BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #31
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Love my OME springs. Huge difference in ride quality over stock.

BuffaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It really depends on what you want out of your jeep. I'm running RC crap but I've honestly never had a problem with them yet and I beat on them pretty damn good I'd buy them again at this point(initially bought because of low funds). However I've never heard anything really bad about BDS and its not like you couldn't find a billion threads on any forum complaining about how bad RC is.

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I got my springs tossed on and maaaaaan I can't believe how nice these bds springs ride. I used to think I had a nice ride with my old 3.5 fabtech springs but after moving to bds 5 inch springs I now know my fabtech leafs SUCKED. I HIGHLY recommend bds over any other brand now!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #34
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Ok I got my springs tossed on and maaaaaan I can't believe how nice these bds springs ride. I used to think I had a nice ride with my old 3.5 fabtech springs but after moving to bds 5 inch springs I now know my fabtech leafs SUCKED. I HIGHLY recommend bds over any other brand now!
I think we need some flex comparison shots!

Unread 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here

I think we need some flex comparison shots!
Well I don't really have any thing to flex on other that this small barrier but here you do (keep and mind the before had revolvers)
3.5 fabtech/front revolvers

5 inches bds

Unread 08-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #36
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I don't really have any thing to flex on other that this small barrier but here you do (keep and mind the before had revolvers)
Looks like your barely flexing that thing!

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #37
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here

Looks like your barely flexing that thing!
I know I need to go wheeling to she what she can really do!

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
With a 5" lift I would also hope you are allowing for an HD SYE/CV if you do not already have one.

Have'nt looked at the kit lately, but they usually come with sway bar extensions. May as well just throw them away. Either run it without a sway or get a proper set of disco's if you're gonna take it off road. Also, most kits come with aluminum shims. If you're not re-welding your pinion angle, then you'll need shims. Steel are much better as aluminum can break on the trail. RE sells steel shims.

WRM
I apologize for not making it clear. When I install my lift, I'm swapping out all of my steering knuckles, and doing a SYE+Drive Shaft [As well as all the stuff that comes in the kit, brake lines, shocks, etc.]

As for pinion angle, I recently put in a Ford 8.8, and when we welded it, we over compensated knowing I was gonna do a 5" suspension lift. So, it's pretty much already set up for a lift. I don't think I'll have to shim the front axle, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day215 View Post
I'll throw you another option I haven't heard yet. Have you looked at Zone offroad? It's a sister company to BDS, no they aren't rebadged BDS springs, but are manufactured with a similar design quality.

I installed 4 of their 4" leafs a few thousand miles ago, I have been very happy with the quality of the ride both on and off road, they flex very well and ride smooth, at least for a YJ. I picked up 4 leafs and bushings for under $400 shipped direct from zones website. The emails I sent prior to my purchase were answered promptly, I have been very happy.

If you are set on the two choices listed in your title, then go BDS all the way. But i would encourage you to take a look at zone before you even think about RC or even Pro Comp.
Very good info. I'll keep this in mind. As it looks, money is starting to get tight. I really would rather have BDS with the warranty. But we can't always get what we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLeeB View Post
I went with the bds 5" and love them. I am running 5" springs and 1" shackles with 35" BFG KM2 and had enough flex to jam a wheel in my front fender and bend it. I ordered from a local dealer and saved $ over what you can order from BDS direct.
This is exactly my plan. Can you post a picture of your ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrider View Post
Another option never hurts. I've had OME 2" springs on my jeep for the last 125k miles. Am currently doing a complete overhaul, including an SOA. The OME springs are in such good shape, I had them sandblasted and powdercoated and I'm re-using them. Not sure how they'll work in an SOA application, but the rear end is done, sitting sky-high, and looking sharp.
I'm really lookin' for at least a 4" suspension lift. Last time I checked OME only had up to like 2.5" or something? I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
It really depends on what you want out of your jeep. I'm running RC crap but I've honestly never had a problem with them yet and I beat on them pretty damn good I'd buy them again at this point(initially bought because of low funds). However I've never heard anything really bad about BDS and its not like you couldn't find a billion threads on any forum complaining about how bad RC is.
This is very true. This is my DD / weekend beater. So I'd like for it to ride nice, and be reliable in the long run.

Quote:
I know I need to go wheeling to she what she can really do!
Sweet pics. Get some full flex and report back.

And thank you everyone else for your input. Good stuff!
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple pics. I don't have one straight from the side. It will flex a good bit more than the trailer pics. Like I said I found out when I bent me fenders up.

image-576818895.jpg

image-1954009241.jpg

image-2678726385.jpg
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
I don't think I'll have to shim the front axle, right?

Get some full flex and report back.

And thank you everyone else for your input. Good stuff!
You 'shouldn't' need to shim the front... the d-line will be fine. Although caster can be affected a bit.

fwiw, BDS also has the 3.5" spring if a 5" spring is too much for you.

as far as flex, the BDS 5" spring will flex as much as an SUA spring can flex. I actually had to add extra bump stops to limit flex b/c I have yet to do any metal trimming or install tube fronts (possible future mod). My little dirt mount is about 3' high. I also had 1" home brew shackles on at the time and have since switched to 5/8" greasable booms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #41
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here are a couple pics. I don't have one straight from the side. It will flex a good bit more than the trailer pics. Like I said I found out when I bent me fenders up.
Oh. That's sexy. That is very sexy indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
You 'shouldn't' need to shim the front... the d-line will be fine. Although caster can be affected a bit.

fwiw, BDS also has the 3.5" spring if a 5" spring is too much for you.

as far as flex, the BDS 5" spring will flex as much as an SUA spring can flex. I actually had to add extra bump stops to limit flex b/c I have yet to do any metal trimming or install tube fronts (possible future mod). My little dirt mount is about 3' high. I also had 1" home brew shackles on at the time and have since switched to 5/8" greasable booms.
That's fine with me.

And 5" is actually exactly what I'm looking for. (6" total. Getting 1" lift boom shackles)

And currently, I couldn't use flex. I live in Florida, the flattest terrain in the world. I plan on moving out west in 2 years, and then I can worry about tummy tucks and trying to get more flex. As for now, the only flex I can do is poser flex. But that's a great photo.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot

And currently, I couldn't use flex. I live in Florida, the flattest terrain in the world. I plan on moving out west in 2 years, and then I can worry about tummy tucks and trying to get more flex. As for now, the only flex I can do is poser flex. But that's a great photo.
I live in Florida also, you would be surprised how much flex you could use. We may not have huge rocks and mountain trails, but we do have a lot of trails, big run outs from running water and creeks, fallen pine trees, stumps, central florida rock quarries and forest, etc. but it's nice to have useable articulation (article somewhere on that)
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #43
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I live in Florida also, you would be surprised how much flex you could use. We may not have huge rocks and mountain trails, but we do have a lot of trails, big run outs from running water and creeks, fallen pine trees, stumps, central florida rock quarries and forest, etc. but it's nice to have useable articulation (article somewhere on that)
That may be true for Northern/Central Florida... but down here in South Florida, the highest natural elevation we have is, legitimately, 15-20 ft.

I am moving to Orlando in January! Maybe we can meet up and wheel at some point.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #44
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

NECRO ALERT - figured this was better than making a new one
Where do you guys order bds springs? All I can manage to find is the full kit on their website. not having any luck at the usual 4wd, morris, Qtech etc.
I need springs with a warranty :P
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As I recall you can use the dealer locator on their website. I ordered just my springs and bushings from a guy in I think it was Oklahoma who was recommended from here. FWIW, I replaced the RC springs that I bought my Jeep with. I couldn't be happier. Now Im just waiting to do my 8.8 swap and I will be replacing the crappy shocks with Bilstiens.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.