BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options) - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options)

Hey, all. Here for some experienced advice...

I am getting rid of my 3" BL for some nice suspension work. Currently I'm working with 3" BL, a 1.25" straight shackle and dying 33"s.

I got a sweet deal on 35" MTs. (Craigslist find that I hopped on. Paid $130 bucks per tire, and they're basically brand new BFG KM2's. Still have the injection sticks )

Anyway, I was mulling over a 5" BDS lift kit, with an additional 5500 for steering stabilizer and a bushing and sleeve kit. The total is $1,330 (IIRC). It'd be shipped to a local dealer and I'd pick it up, so I guess that includes shipping. I'm also getting a set of 1" lift boom shackles from a member on this forum.

My buddy got a 4" RC lift a few months ago and he raves about how pleased he is with it. "Rides fine, cheap, etc." I wrote in a little Jeep group I'm a part of on FB and asked if there were other options other than BDS. Everyone basically mobbed me for not considering RC, saying they've changed, etc.

Point is... should I just go with the 1" less and much cheaper RC, the better quality BDS, or an other option?

I know Anticanman is a huge fan of his BDS lift (the main reason I considered them in the first place). They are looking mighty attractive. I however want to know of other options if any.

Thanks for the time.

idskot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
gunshw301
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,384
I don't know about the new rc, maybe they are good, but I have not heard it. I like my ome, but you won't get 4" from them unless you use additional means.

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

My 1994 yj build page
gunshw301 is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I don't know about the new rc, maybe they are good, but I have not heard it. I like my ome, but you won't get 4" from them unless you use additional means.
Yeah. I have only heard bad things about RC until their 'revamp' a few months back. But, after that I kind of fell out of the forum community. Then all of these other people on this FB group are all for RC and stuff.

And I really want to get at least 6"... so...
idskot is offline  
post #4 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM
AmmitOsiris
Web Wheeler
 
AmmitOsiris's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 3,827
Hey bud just go with the bds, you'll be happier in the long run and can't eat the warranty
AmmitOsiris is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington Park
Posts: 13,242
Take a ride in one/few of those folks' YJ's with what they say is the new RC lift.

Then take a ride in a YJ with a well known quality lift & then you'll be able to make a sound decision.
Joe Dillard is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
RockWoRM
LJ's do it longer
 
RockWoRM's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno
Posts: 9,253
Exactly which BDS kit are you referring? 3.5", 5"? Also, if you're new at doing lifts, then a 'kit' is not always the way to go. I would contact your local dealer and get prices on just the springs/bushings. As you already stated, you're getting shackles somewhere else. So then you'll need ubolts, shocks to fit, ect., ect. Compare that to the RC price and see where you end up.
Aside from that... I can tell you as one who bought the BDS 5" spring when it first came out, and really not having any feed back to go with, that I have'nt regretted it one bit! Great springs. Rides darn near the same as Joe's old SOA set up. (articulation not the same, of course) As a dude with a bad back, I take note of these things!
I've had 3 other sets of springs on my junk... by far these are the best!

Anywho, good luck.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
RockWoRM is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
Buy once, cry once.

There are several members who have made the decision of going with RC and then being sick of it after time going with BDS. I haven't heard any complaints about the new ride other than the taste of crow is rather bitter.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM
rshbutch
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: fresno, ca.
Posts: 98
Rubicon exspress is also a great riding spring
rshbutch is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Hey bud just go with the bds, you'll be happier in the long run and can't eat the warranty
I think that's what I'll do. I definitely don't want an RC lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Take a ride in one/few of those folks' YJ's with what they say is the new RC lift.

Then take a ride in a YJ with a well known quality lift & then you'll be able to make a sound decision.
That's the issue. I have a buddy that has a 4" RC lift, and it rides rough. He swears it isn't, but it does ride rough. Another buddy I think has a procomp lift and it rides better but still rough.

I have no one I know of that has spent money on a quality lift. So, I'm going on assumptions and other people's say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Exactly which BDS kit are you referring? 3.5", 5"? Also, if you're new at doing lifts, then a 'kit' is not always the way to go. I would contact your local dealer and get prices on just the springs/bushings. As you already stated, you're getting shackles somewhere else. So then you'll need ubolts, shocks to fit, ect., ect. Compare that to the RC price and see where you end up.
Aside from that... I can tell you as one who bought the BDS 5" spring when it first came out, and really not having any feed back to go with, that I have'nt regretted it one bit! Great springs. Rides darn near the same as Joe's old SOA set up. (articulation not the same, of course) As a dude with a bad back, I take note of these things!
I've had 3 other sets of springs on my junk... by far these are the best!

Anywho, good luck.
I'm referring to the BDS 5". My issue is all of my stuff should be replaced. From what I could piece together, the springs are the stock springs... that have been used for 200k miles. Same with the shocks, I'd imagine. I swapped out my rear axle and when I put it back in, one of the shocks I had to strain to compress, and another I had to use a jack to compress. It damn near lifted the whole Jeep off the stands... It was NOT fun.

With that said, I don't think I'd be saving much money by piecing it together. Or would I? I am quite content spending a little extra money for an all inclusive package that I know will work for me.

However, if you think I can save more than $100 dollars, I can piece it for sure. I'm honestly really lazy about this atm. I hate talking on the phone.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Buy once, cry once.

There are several members who have made the decision of going with RC and then being sick of it after time going with BDS. I haven't heard any complaints about the new ride other than the taste of crow is rather bitter.


My main point of my post on that FB group was to get alternatives to BDS... but I think this thread has sold me on the BDS.
idskot is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
The RE 1454 springs have just as much flex as the BDS 004500.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM
rshbutch
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: fresno, ca.
Posts: 98
Im useing the re-1445 spring over,ride is very smooth for a short wheel based jeep
rshbutch is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM
SeanB95YJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schenectady
Posts: 1,182
didn't RC supposedly come out as "new and improved" just a couple years ago?? IIRC, consensus from "old" to "new" back then was that the initial ride was only marginally better, but they still sagged a whole bunch in a short matter of time.

Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION
 
zte87's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon
Posts: 6,005
Garage
I should be installing a set of bds 004500 springs this weekend, I will answer back with how I think the stance and ride it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

luck favors the prepared - anticanman
zte87 is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
didn't RC supposedly come out as "new and improved" just a couple years ago?? IIRC, consensus from "old" to "new" back then was that the initial ride was only marginally better, but they still sagged a whole bunch in a short matter of time.
Yeah. Iirc that's what i've heard. The buddy who has the RC lift has had it for a few months and hasnt seen sag. But that's no time. My jeep has stock springs, so they're old and worn out. But in a comparison, mine rides like a caddy to his horse drawn carriage. At least imo. Hes happy with it, so thats good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
I should be installing a set of bds 004500 springs this weekend, I will answer back with how I think the stance and ride it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sweet. Let me know.
idskot is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
rykemc
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lubbock
Posts: 579
Here is my thought on all those who have bought the RC lift and say "it rides good for the price". Well its kind of like a person always eating hamburger meat. Yeah, its pretty darn good, but a ribeye is way, way better. If they do not know what it feels like to ride in a jeep with good, quality springs on it then how in the hell do they know what a good ride is? Just my thoughts on it.

I am running the RE 4.5" lift with the bilstein 5100 shocks and it rides just as good as my wife's 01 TJ.

My suggestion is go with the BDS and don't look back.

My Jeep build. :)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome