BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options)

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

BDS vs. "The New" RC (Open to other options)

Hey, all. Here for some experienced advice...

I am getting rid of my 3" BL for some nice suspension work. Currently I'm working with 3" BL, a 1.25" straight shackle and dying 33"s.

I got a sweet deal on 35" MTs. (Craigslist find that I hopped on. Paid $130 bucks per tire, and they're basically brand new BFG KM2's. Still have the injection sticks )

Anyway, I was mulling over a 5" BDS lift kit, with an additional 5500 for steering stabilizer and a bushing and sleeve kit. The total is $1,330 (IIRC). It'd be shipped to a local dealer and I'd pick it up, so I guess that includes shipping. I'm also getting a set of 1" lift boom shackles from a member on this forum.

My buddy got a 4" RC lift a few months ago and he raves about how pleased he is with it. "Rides fine, cheap, etc." I wrote in a little Jeep group I'm a part of on FB and asked if there were other options other than BDS. Everyone basically mobbed me for not considering RC, saying they've changed, etc.

Point is... should I just go with the 1" less and much cheaper RC, the better quality BDS, or an other option?

I know Anticanman is a huge fan of his BDS lift (the main reason I considered them in the first place). They are looking mighty attractive. I however want to know of other options if any.

Thanks for the time.

idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the new rc, maybe they are good, but I have not heard it. I like my ome, but you won't get 4" from them unless you use additional means.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I don't know about the new rc, maybe they are good, but I have not heard it. I like my ome, but you won't get 4" from them unless you use additional means.
Yeah. I have only heard bad things about RC until their 'revamp' a few months back. But, after that I kind of fell out of the forum community. Then all of these other people on this FB group are all for RC and stuff.

And I really want to get at least 6"... so...
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey bud just go with the bds, you'll be happier in the long run and can't eat the warranty
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take a ride in one/few of those folks' YJ's with what they say is the new RC lift.

Then take a ride in a YJ with a well known quality lift & then you'll be able to make a sound decision.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly which BDS kit are you referring? 3.5", 5"? Also, if you're new at doing lifts, then a 'kit' is not always the way to go. I would contact your local dealer and get prices on just the springs/bushings. As you already stated, you're getting shackles somewhere else. So then you'll need ubolts, shocks to fit, ect., ect. Compare that to the RC price and see where you end up.
Aside from that... I can tell you as one who bought the BDS 5" spring when it first came out, and really not having any feed back to go with, that I have'nt regretted it one bit! Great springs. Rides darn near the same as Joe's old SOA set up. (articulation not the same, of course) As a dude with a bad back, I take note of these things!
I've had 3 other sets of springs on my junk... by far these are the best!

Anywho, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Buy once, cry once.

There are several members who have made the decision of going with RC and then being sick of it after time going with BDS. I haven't heard any complaints about the new ride other than the taste of crow is rather bitter.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rubicon exspress is also a great riding spring
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Hey bud just go with the bds, you'll be happier in the long run and can't eat the warranty
I think that's what I'll do. I definitely don't want an RC lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Take a ride in one/few of those folks' YJ's with what they say is the new RC lift.

Then take a ride in a YJ with a well known quality lift & then you'll be able to make a sound decision.
That's the issue. I have a buddy that has a 4" RC lift, and it rides rough. He swears it isn't, but it does ride rough. Another buddy I think has a procomp lift and it rides better but still rough.

I have no one I know of that has spent money on a quality lift. So, I'm going on assumptions and other people's say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Exactly which BDS kit are you referring? 3.5", 5"? Also, if you're new at doing lifts, then a 'kit' is not always the way to go. I would contact your local dealer and get prices on just the springs/bushings. As you already stated, you're getting shackles somewhere else. So then you'll need ubolts, shocks to fit, ect., ect. Compare that to the RC price and see where you end up.
Aside from that... I can tell you as one who bought the BDS 5" spring when it first came out, and really not having any feed back to go with, that I have'nt regretted it one bit! Great springs. Rides darn near the same as Joe's old SOA set up. (articulation not the same, of course) As a dude with a bad back, I take note of these things!
I've had 3 other sets of springs on my junk... by far these are the best!

Anywho, good luck.
I'm referring to the BDS 5". My issue is all of my stuff should be replaced. From what I could piece together, the springs are the stock springs... that have been used for 200k miles. Same with the shocks, I'd imagine. I swapped out my rear axle and when I put it back in, one of the shocks I had to strain to compress, and another I had to use a jack to compress. It damn near lifted the whole Jeep off the stands... It was NOT fun.

With that said, I don't think I'd be saving much money by piecing it together. Or would I? I am quite content spending a little extra money for an all inclusive package that I know will work for me.

However, if you think I can save more than $100 dollars, I can piece it for sure. I'm honestly really lazy about this atm. I hate talking on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Buy once, cry once.

There are several members who have made the decision of going with RC and then being sick of it after time going with BDS. I haven't heard any complaints about the new ride other than the taste of crow is rather bitter.

My main point of my post on that FB group was to get alternatives to BDS... but I think this thread has sold me on the BDS.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The RE 1454 springs have just as much flex as the BDS 004500.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im useing the re-1445 spring over,ride is very smooth for a short wheel based jeep
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

didn't RC supposedly come out as "new and improved" just a couple years ago?? IIRC, consensus from "old" to "new" back then was that the initial ride was only marginally better, but they still sagged a whole bunch in a short matter of time.
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I should be installing a set of bds 004500 springs this weekend, I will answer back with how I think the stance and ride it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

RIP
96 jeep xj, 4.5 inch rc x-series lift with .75 coil spacer, siting on 31-10.50-15 goodyear! (aka gas saver)

RIP
96 jeep zj iro otk steering 7 inch iro critical path long arms lift siting on 35-13.50-15 toyo mt's and much more!
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1208873/
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
didn't RC supposedly come out as "new and improved" just a couple years ago?? IIRC, consensus from "old" to "new" back then was that the initial ride was only marginally better, but they still sagged a whole bunch in a short matter of time.
Yeah. Iirc that's what i've heard. The buddy who has the RC lift has had it for a few months and hasnt seen sag. But that's no time. My jeep has stock springs, so they're old and worn out. But in a comparison, mine rides like a caddy to his horse drawn carriage. At least imo. Hes happy with it, so thats good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
I should be installing a set of bds 004500 springs this weekend, I will answer back with how I think the stance and ride it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sweet. Let me know.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my thought on all those who have bought the RC lift and say "it rides good for the price". Well its kind of like a person always eating hamburger meat. Yeah, its pretty darn good, but a ribeye is way, way better. If they do not know what it feels like to ride in a jeep with good, quality springs on it then how in the hell do they know what a good ride is? Just my thoughts on it.

I am running the RE 4.5" lift with the bilstein 5100 shocks and it rides just as good as my wife's 01 TJ.

My suggestion is go with the BDS and don't look back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM
rykemc is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.