BDS Rear Leaf hitting the frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BDS Rear Leaf hitting the frame

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BDS Rear Leaf hitting the frame

I have a 5" BDS lift on my '93. It has been on there for about 2.5 years and I am constantly having issues with the leaves hitting the rear of the frame when I go over a small bump.

The first time this started to happen I installed the 1.5 inch lift shackles seen in the picture, but not is it starting to happen again.
Is this a sagging issue and I should call BDS to see if I can get them replaced?

Or is there a little known secret how to fix it?

Thanks!
Rob.

<br>

th3_d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Longer shackles

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ha, so over time it will just continue to be a problem no matter what?
I actually was figuring someone was just giong to say that.

But it only gets rid of the problem* for a little while, and then back to new shackles? Crazy.

*The problem being extremely harsh suspension when going over bumps. I actually like the YJ's suspension, but when it is completely hitting the frame it is awful.
th3_d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No. I have 1" lift shackles (6" overall) and I have cleared the frame rail since day one and have been able to use my BDS springs to their full potential. It looks as if your shackles never cleared the frame.
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would just take my grinder n cut half of the military wrap of the spring off. The military wrap will still work and ur springs will no longer b banging into the frame. Plus, it's free.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

or you can do what I did and trim down that dumb mil wrap piece so it wont be an issue. (awaiting flamers... )

edit; ok, PA YJ19 beat me to the punch by a couple minutes... lol.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
No. I have 1" lift shackles (6" overall) and I have cleared the frame rail since day one and have been able to use my BDS springs to their full potential. It looks as if your shackles never cleared the frame.
This my friend.....
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have 5/8's lift boomerang shackles on mine and have never hit, ever. I don't see how a sagging spring could cause that anyhow. I suppose you could call BDS and see what they say, they're very helpful. They have a rep here on the forum as well.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
I would just take my grinder n cut half of the military wrap of the spring off. The military wrap will still work and ur springs will no longer b banging into the frame. Plus, it's free.
This

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.