BBD Carb Mod, Oh Yah!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BBD Carb Mod, Oh Yah!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-11-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
Billy Badass

BBD Carb Mod, Oh Yah!!

On my 88' YJ The idle fuel pick up tubes clog up and make it run like crap. You guys know what i'm talking about. Well i pulled them out to day took me about twenty minutes to do the procedure, didn't even have to pull the venturis out. I bored out the tubes to .0040" Very easy to do, the hardest part was to find the drill bit. They will never clog up again. I got some extra umph back in my jeep, and now it runs like a dream. The only side affect was that it raised my idle to 1100 from 650 rpm, that was easly fixed by idleing it down. Iwould recomend this fix to any one, if you need complete instructions let me know. I tried a .0032" overbore and it lasted three months before they cloged up, so I went a little bit bigger and now I have more bottom end torque. And no cloging. You'll love it!!

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
JeeperBill88

Since I was in the process of rebuilding my carb, I also drilled out the idle tubes to 0.040 and reinstalled the rebuilt carb today. Before rebuilding, my Jeep died about 50% of the time when coming to a stop. After drilling out the tubes, it did not die a single time when driving around on a test run...goood news.....

One question: How many turns did you back out the idle mixture screws on the front of the carb? I tried 2 1/2 turns for the test run, but plan on playing with them to try to smooth out the idle a bit.

Since you also live in Calif. it will be interesting to see if the drilling of the tubes will affect emissions testing during the next smog test....I have a spare carb with undrilled tubes for a swap out just in case...
31" BFG AT KO's
JeeperBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
Billy Badass

Well It's glad to know that some one used the mod, personaly I also backed out the mixture screws about 2 turns, but i'm still playing with it a little bit to find out for my self, right now it's at 2 1/4 turns and it is running fine. Tell me how you like your newly aquired bottom end, it has more get up and go than it used to. Try this with the nutter bypass after you finish emissions test, and you will find plenty more power.

I found out that is you run it to rich you will have trouble starting it in cold weather, so 2 1/4 turns worked for me.

Thanks for the reply.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Unread 02-28-2002, 07:48 AM   #4
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

BB-- yes , I am interested in learning how you did the drill out of the idle tubes . I have a handheld portable battery operated hand drill . Is that suitable for the job? I am concerned about keeping the bit straight . Do you need to setup a bench jig to do this properly ? Is this a machine shop job ? I have done the idle jets clean out , seems to idle fine . I still wonder if it could be better . I am afraid to open a can of worms .
stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 08:36 AM   #5
warf

i was wondering how your carb did on really steep hills. that is where mine has all of its trouble. and also i was wondering if you could send me the instructions for that mod to my email it is warfnation@pirate4x4.com
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
rodgersmc

If you check in the engine forums, BB has posted exactly how to do this... he used a hand crank. Any motorized drill and you run the risk of the bit moving around too much and screwing things up.

Good luck finding the bit ;-). I'd start with hobby shops.

BTW, tough luck for all you Californians... we don't even have inspections anymore here ;-).
32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
Billy Badass

Chevk out the hobbie shops, or any electronics stoe. Go into a hardware store and ask for a 60g drill bit they should hav it. But you can do this mod with hand tools it is very easy.
I do have a posting in the engines section also with complete instructions on how to do it. Thanx,

Unread 03-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Billy Badass

Mine had no problem passing emissions, it actually did better that it normaly did. It will still have trouble one steap hills but this mod will help a little bit. It due to the fact that you only have about 113 horse power, and that it is carborated.

Well take it easy,

Unread 03-01-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
Tommy Gun

Yo Billy,
I noticed you listed a plan for the Nutter on your carb. Isn't this illegal in California? I live here as well and would love to do it, but I also need to pass smog, as this is my daily driver. One more thing, is the JKBII Carb Mod, the name of the mod for drilling out the idle tubes with the #60 drill bit?
Thanks,
Tommy
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:17 PM   #10
Billy Badass

Yes it is the name, this was the first post about this mod, I got so many resposes for the instructions that I postd them in a second post to satifie every one. The nutter bypass is illegal everywhere, but most places do not care. California on the other hand dose. So if you have an inspection coming up soon don't do it. If you make speical connection using male and female adaptors on the wiring you can always un hook it, hook the old wiring back up and the computer will reset itself.

Later.

Unread 03-01-2002, 06:42 PM   #11
Tommy Gun

Yo Billy,
I found pics for the JKBII Carb Mod at www.jeepz.com I still need to play with my idle. The mod improved my top end as well as my low end. Any time I step on the gas, the Jeep responds. I can pass cars while cruising surface streets as well as on the freeway. (I hit 80 today!)
Tommy out

'89 Wrangler Laredo, 4.2l a/t,ac,cd,cb,31s,JKBII Carb Mod
Daystar 1" lift and 1" shackles on the way
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.