battery question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery question

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

battery question

hi i have a 91 yj 4.0 i need a powerful battery,because i planning to put on a lot of lights on my jeep, and a lot of electrical stuff,so i always have trusted interstate batteries so i went to firestone i bought a interstate megatron plus (MTP58) which its suppose to be a very powerfull battery, and pay 150 dollars and waited 2 weeks to get the battery from them, and went i went to pick it up, they gave me a really small battery, smaller than the tray on my jeep with only CA765 / CCA610 so im not sure if its powerfull enough, all the help will be very appriciated, thanks.

salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't get what you wanted or paid for? Or even the recommended battery for your car?

610 cca's is a TINY battery.

I would get my $$$ back and go elsewhere. The right battery is easy to come by for $150.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsomano1a
hi i have a 91 yj 4.0 i need a powerful battery,because i planning to put on a lot of lights on my jeep, and a lot of electrical stuff,so i always have trusted interstate batteries so i went to firestone i bought a interstate megatron plus (MTP58) which its suppose to be a very powerfull battery, and pay 150 dollars and waited 2 weeks to get the battery from them, and went i went to pick it up, they gave me a really small battery, smaller than the tray on my jeep with only CA765 / CCA610 so im not sure if its powerfull enough, all the help will be very appriciated, thanks.
I think an alt upgrade is in your near future.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
salsomano1a
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what do you mean?
salsomano1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsomano1a
what do you mean?
You can have the biggest and best battery in the world, but when the jeep is running, most of the load is taken off your battery and placed on your alternator. If its a stock alt, it won't hold up depending on how much load you place on it. In my opinion.

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Upgrade to a higher output alternator, more juice from the alternator puts less strain on the battery.

Bring that miniscule battery back and get a good solid one. I have a Redtop in my Subaru and a Marine deep cycle in the Jeep. Most people advise against running a Marine battery (deep cycle versus starting) but is 1100 cca rated and ai have no isues with it. For a daily driver I would run a Yellowtop equivalent.
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
Upgrade to a higher output alternator, more juice from the alternator puts less strain on the battery.

Bring that miniscule battery back and get a good solid one. I have a Redtop in my Subaru and a Marine deep cycle in the Jeep. Most people advise against running a Marine battery (deep cycle versus starting) but is 1100 cca rated and ai have no isues with it. For a daily driver I would run a Yellowtop equivalent.
Agreed

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

With the new light technology, I can't think of any reason to overtax your battery or alternator. The new LED light bars rock and don't draw that much amperage. Also the new HID's typically draw less than 3 amps apiece (35 watts) and the light output is many times greater than halogen. 10 of these HID's would draw less than 30 amps! The price has come way down. I originally paid $150 bucks each for these lights and now they are down to $63 bucks with free shipping.

If you have a winch, that's a different story. But lights? No reason for that.

I only use Interstate batteries. Good quality stuff.

(Watts= amps x volts)
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
With the new light technology, I can't think of any reason to overtax your battery or alternator. The new LED light bars rock and don't draw that much amperage. Also the new HID's typically draw less than 3 amps apiece (35 watts) and the light output is many times greater than halogen. 10 of these HID's would draw less than 30 amps! The price has come way down. I originally paid $150 bucks each for these lights and now they are down to $63 bucks with free shipping.

If you have a winch, that's a different story. But lights? No reason for that.

I only use Interstate batteries. Good quality stuff.
I suppose my mentality is different as I do use a winch, plus my stereo system draws a bit too. Still an alt upgrade never hurt, plus it's a bolt on, really no mods. Again, just my opinion.

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
I suppose my mentality is different as I do use a winch, plus my stereo system draws a bit too. Still an alt upgrade never hurt, plus it's a bolt on, really no mods. Again, just my opinion.

I totally agree. I did mention winch. I was just explaining lights because that is what he mentioned.

I was half a$$ed trying to influence his light choices.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

DieHard Platinum 34/78DT or the Odessey equivelent $219 @ sears. last battery you will buy. 850 CCA 135RC . I run them in my truck and jeep.

they also have the side terminals for additional hook ups. And unlike optima the side posts are RATED FOR FULL AMPERAGE.

Also do the alt upgrade if you are concerned! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...ite-up-889057/
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You need upgrade on charging system for loads while engine is running.

Battery size is irrelevant to all but starting unless you are using a winch.

I have run lawnmower batteries, the tiny ones, for 6 months when money is tight. They work fine, even on a v-8 Chevy truck, a Jeep 6 banger is easy to start.
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
You need upgrade on charging system for loads while engine is running.

I have run lawnmower batteries, the tiny ones, for 6 months when money is tight. They work fine, even on a v-8 Chevy truck, a Jeep 6 banger is easy to start.
Yup!

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alternator mod on this link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...queel-1460052/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Old4X;15106589]You need upgrade on charging system for loads while engine is running.

I have run lawnmower batteries, the tiny ones, for 6 months when money is tight. They work fine, even on a v-8 Chevy truck, a Jeep 6 banger is easy to start.[/QUOTE

Also add that to small a battery will ruin a starter by burning out the motor. If the starter is lagging on the start from a low battery it will burn out in time.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.