so any who..i am pretty sure this jeep has a short but no clue where. and it is causeing the buildup.. have hard to replace the conectors 3 times now. so i cleaned everything up real good last time and got some spray to put on there ..and it is still whiting up with acid or what ever that is...brain fart at the moment.. so is there a way i can fix this..maybe by add another grounding cable or soemthing?
I don't think a transient voltage leak causes that. It is caused by acid from the battery reacting with the connector. You probably need a new battery, and probably should also replace the cable clamps, or better yet the entire cable. It keeps coming back because the battery case is leaking, either around the post or maybe the fill caps.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government....." - Patrick Henry
[QUOTE=Rproject;15815900]The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.[/QUOTE]
I use bearing grease or vasoline on all the ground points and terminals that are exposed. The key is to clean and attach them before you make the connection. It will keep air out and stop corrosion. The dielectric grease is more for the connectors because you need to worry about the grease breaking down the plastic and rubber of the connector. It will work just the same but it is more expensive and I recoat every year or when I give the underhood a good bath.
Greasing the connectors is a good idea. I've just used Vaseline, but I really like the aerosol can coating too. And the felt washers help.
BUT, the OP has cleaned and replaced the connectors repeatedly. If it keeps coming back, slopping a coating on there is not going to solve the issue. Batteries with cases that leak gas around the posts is fairly common, and I don't know any way to fix that.
Good call Bpounds. If the battery is leaking then you are right. The felt washers are to stop the ground traces from water and minerals on top of the battery from conducting from the battery terminals. There is no way you can get corrosion if the air cant get to it. High resistance will also accelerate the corrosion. Clean ad coat positive and negative terminals on both sides and coat on both sides.
The white is lead oxide, basically lead rust. It happens all the time lead is in contact with air, it's acceleratted by an electrical current stripping electrons.
so if your battery case has conductive crud on it like salt spray or acid mist from overcharging, the terminals will corrode faster. Those felt washers that parts places sell are water resistant and help block a circuit from forming. Best maintenance it to periodically clean batterywith a light baking soda and soap solution, making sure to keep the stuff out of the cells. Then coat the terminals with a water blocking grease. Dielectric is best for a few reasons. Less conductive, usually thicker consistency and better water resistance.