battery posts turning white - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery posts turning white

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
LordBear

battery posts turning white

so any who..i am pretty sure this jeep has a short but no clue where. and it is causeing the buildup.. have hard to replace the conectors 3 times now. so i cleaned everything up real good last time and got some spray to put on there ..and it is still whiting up with acid or what ever that is...brain fart at the moment.. so is there a way i can fix this..maybe by add another grounding cable or soemthing?

LordBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think a transient voltage leak causes that. It is caused by acid from the battery reacting with the connector. You probably need a new battery, and probably should also replace the cable clamps, or better yet the entire cable. It keeps coming back because the battery case is leaking, either around the post or maybe the fill caps.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean them and then coat them in grease. It's Dissimilar metals oxidatIon because of electrolysis from the current across the battery terminals. Grease blocks the air so no corrosion can form
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't use regular grease. Dielectric grease.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I use bearing grease or vasoline on all the ground points and terminals that are exposed. The key is to clean and attach them before you make the connection. It will keep air out and stop corrosion. The dielectric grease is more for the connectors because you need to worry about the grease breaking down the plastic and rubber of the connector. It will work just the same but it is more expensive and I recoat every year or when I give the underhood a good bath.
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dielectric grease is silicone based so it also has better temp properties than most petroleum based grease. Honestly its not that pricey if you get a large tube. The little tubes are a joke.

I do agree with thorough cleaning before grease application.
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Greasing the connectors is a good idea. I've just used Vaseline, but I really like the aerosol can coating too. And the felt washers help.

BUT, the OP has cleaned and replaced the connectors repeatedly. If it keeps coming back, slopping a coating on there is not going to solve the issue. Batteries with cases that leak gas around the posts is fairly common, and I don't know any way to fix that.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good call Bpounds. If the battery is leaking then you are right. The felt washers are to stop the ground traces from water and minerals on top of the battery from conducting from the battery terminals. There is no way you can get corrosion if the air cant get to it. High resistance will also accelerate the corrosion. Clean ad coat positive and negative terminals on both sides and coat on both sides.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My wifes Liberty had an awful problem with the neg. term. flaking white. I sprayed it with fluid film. End of problem.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The white is lead oxide, basically lead rust. It happens all the time lead is in contact with air, it's acceleratted by an electrical current stripping electrons.
so if your battery case has conductive crud on it like salt spray or acid mist from overcharging, the terminals will corrode faster. Those felt washers that parts places sell are water resistant and help block a circuit from forming. Best maintenance it to periodically clean batterywith a light baking soda and soap solution, making sure to keep the stuff out of the cells. Then coat the terminals with a water blocking grease. Dielectric is best for a few reasons. Less conductive, usually thicker consistency and better water resistance.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.