battery not charging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery not charging

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

please help cause its driving me nuts and its about to be on fire

I think I have have it down to the pcm but thought I would ask anyways.

last year about this time I was driving and hit a bump in the road pretty hard and about a mile down the road my 92 2.5 jeep died. had it towed home and kind of forgot the jeep even existed until this spring. started body work and what not then started driving it. I put a new battery in it and it ran fine for awhile until I took it on some trails. it died on the trail and I had to tow it out with my truck. again towed home and piddled with it. I had the alternator tested at auto zone, replaced all the cables brand new battery again, still same thing battery dies when driving. guy at auto zone told me the voltage regulator was on the alternator but I read a bit and its in the pcm or is that wrong? voltage on my battery is 12.1 alternator is 12.1 that is supposed to be fine from what I have read. even though the battery is new I had it tested just to be sure and it was good. I'm lost and annoyed at this point. any help would be appreciated as I am supposed to hit the trails this weekend.

Last edited by sig81; 08-08-2013 at 08:33 AM..
sig81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you tested voltage at the alternator was the Jeep running? The alternator should be putting out around 14.6. I know in 94-95 the regulator is in the PCM, not sure about the 92. I would guess that no matter where it is the problem is with the regulator.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it was the alternator. I had it tested 7 times and it passed on the bench at auto zone and oreilly. still not 100% positive its fixed because I've had it "fixed" a few times before. the regulator is in the alternator. thought about buying a new regulator but just wanted to fix the thing so I can drive it.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's an easy test if you have a volt/ohm meter. Like XJ93 said above, you need to see 14v at the alt with the engine running. If you don't, you are likely just reading the static voltage from the battery.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

had 12.1 volts. I tested everything. new everything now. I knew it was the alternator starting out but when I had it tested multiple times it always passed. tonight I just bought a new one and it seems ok while driving, all lights on everything that has power was on and it kept on charging. pretty sure all is good. just frustrating to know I had something tested at multiple locations just to find out it was what I thought it was the whole time.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
delboy07

HELP Lost Immobilizer Fob

Hi folks not sure were the best place is to ask this but I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction.

I have lost my only immobilizer fob to my boss's 1992 Jeep YJ! I reckon I'm gonna have to buy a new one but have no idea where to buy OR does anyone know if a bypass is possible. My boss will not mind one bit if I bypass just as long as I can get it started.

Please help me! argh!

D.
delboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Immobilizer fob? 1992?
YJOTM JULY 2014
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
delboy07

Don't know what else to call it, the little plastic thing I hold at a secret place that allows me to start the engine
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
delboy07

Ok 1991
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry, I have no idea why that would be in a 91'. Hopefully someone with a VW, Toyota or another make that uses that type of thing will chime in. Good luck.
YJOTM JULY 2014
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

call the company that made it and find someone who installs them? they should be able to program a new one.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so after installing a new alternator its has died again. so new alternator, new battery, new positive/ negative cables, everything is new except the fielding wire and that is fine. alternator puts out 12.1 volts running. the voltage regulator is supposedly in the alternator according to the chiltons book and auto zones and oriellys computer. I would hate to be defeated by this and take it to a mechanic. I havnt been to a mechanic in years but it seems that's where I am going to have to turn unless there are any ideas from you guys.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried following back the wire on the alternator batt+ terminal (the big one) to the fusebox and maybe replacing/upgrading/bypassing it? That is a weak point on the older ones.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your alt should be putting out more than 12.1vdc. You should be seeing 14.something.
YJOTM JULY 2014
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well got it fixed. Turns out the PCM was bad. Picked one up for a good deal locally. Drove it around all day yesterday with no issue except one of the calipers were sticking. I guess the awesome amount of heat got it unstuck though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.