battery? Electrical? what the heck!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > battery? Electrical? what the heck!?!?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

battery? Electrical? what the heck!?!?

Hey guys I have a killer problem. Hopefully the solution is very easy haha. Anyway, I drove my jeep (95 wrangler, 2.5...5spd) off the beach today and stopped to inflate my tires. I go to start it back up and nothing. No starter noise, no radio, nothing. I could however turn my electric fan on. I jumped the jeep and it started right up. However, my check engine light came on and it was running rougher than normal. Also my battery gauge was reading almost to the redline. It normally sits right at 14 or just a little over. My oil pressure gauge would drop when I was at idle to about 20. It would go up when I would push the gas pedal. I got the jeep home and turned it off, then went to start it and again, nothing happened. I tested the battery while it was still hooked up to the jeep and it read "faulty battery". Take it to auto zone and their machine reads it was fine. So I go back home and test it again with my tester and it showed it was fine. I put it back in the jeep and nothing happens again! I put a marine battery in from my dads boats and the jeep started right up. I turned the jeep off and turned it back on and it ran perfect. It is still running perfect with the "new" battery.

My question is, is it possible that my battery could have been bad even though it was reading it was good?? The "bad" battery is one of those Optima batteries. I am so confused. Thanks for any help guys!! you rock!

ikircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

May be your alternator isn't making any juice, just drive it down to auto zone and have them check it that's what it sound like is your alternator has "DIED"
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
May be your alternator isn't making any juice, just drive it down to auto zone and have them check it that's what it sound like is your alternator has "DIED"
i thought that too but even though the first battery was fully charged it still wouldn't start. i couldn't even get a jump to work on that battery when i got it home. even with a bad alternator and a supposed full battery, wouldn't it start?
Unread 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It was the right guess once today, so I'll try it again. Bad grounds?
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Same here your cables werent hooked to the battery good, are had junk buildup, or your ground isnt grounded good and the wiggling made contact. Check those cables good and try that old battery after your trough must be a bad hook-up somewhere.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Same here your cables werent hooked to the battery good, are had junk buildup, or your ground isnt grounded good and the wiggling made contact. Check those cables good and try that old battery after your trough must be a bad hook-up somewhere.
Well you guys are right again I think. I went to autozone again. They tested the alternator and starter. Both were good. Then I used the battery terminal cleaner and cleaned the old terminals really good. Hooked it up. And boom fired right up.... I did notice that BEFORE when I hooked up the cables, there was a little spark and when I went to start it the positive side sparked a little and nothing happened. No lights, radio accessories etc. The jeep is running right now but I should check my grounds and wires to see If there is a short somewhere correct?

Thanks again!
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the code when the check engine light came on?
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post
Did you check the code when the check engine light came on?
No I didn't because when I changed the battery I'm assuming it erased the code. It's not on right now and the jeep is running fine. So freaking confusing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.