Bastard Packs (Leaf Springs) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Packs (Leaf Springs)

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
jeepaholic91
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bastard Packs (Leaf Springs)

A guy on another forum mentioned goin soa with bastard pack leafs. He said the guy used a 4" yj main leaf and stock yj leafs the rest of the way down. Anybody ever heard of this? seems like it wouldnt work well but ive been wrong before

Unread 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaholic91 View Post
A guy on another forum mentioned goin soa with bastard pack leafs. He said the guy used a 4" yj main leaf and stock yj leafs the rest of the way down. Anybody ever heard of this? seems like it wouldnt work well but ive been wrong before
I guess I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I used Ford ranger bastard packs for the rear of my jeep. One main, another cut up main, and the rest of the pack.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
jeepaholic91
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
I guess I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I used Ford ranger bastard packs for the rear of my jeep. One main, another cut up main, and the rest of the pack.
well it's not that it's a bastard pack it's that its a 4" main combined with stock leafs is the part i don't get.
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4" main leaf with stock rest of pack? am i being retarded or would that take some really strong spring clamps? the main would be a rainbow while the stockers would sit flat
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaholic91 View Post
well it's not that it's a bastard pack it's that its a 4" main combined with stock leafs is the part i don't get.
To me it depends on how he put the pack together and if the rig is SOA or under? Can you provide a little bit more info?

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
jeepaholic91
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that's all the info i have from the guy. He did say it was soa though.. he just said he knows a guy that runs this.
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ stock springs are really soft, so the arch from the 4" spring will give arch to the "flat" YJ stock springs, just not the complete 4". Same principle is what I am working with on my build- the S-10 springs I am going to use will give 3" of lift on an XJ, and an XJ spring will give 2" of lift on the YJ- I am hoping for 3-4" of lift my just using the one main leaf from the S-10, but we will see.

It is the same as using an AAL- they will probably not last as long as a full pack, but for the price they work.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Leaf springs get much of the arch from the shorter springs of the pack. I agree with what was said above. If you uses the 4" main with stock leafs, it will be flatter than you would think. In most of the packs I have taken apart, it seem like the stiffest one is the 3rd leaf in the pack (2nd leaf away from the main).

With SOA, the main leaf is the top leaf. It will flex flat until it touches the other springs.

www.rockfrogs.org

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.