Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I think I have everything I need to do this now, I only bought two spring packs so hopefully I'll be able to get the the same amount of lift all the way around. My plan is to use the main leaves in the front and the second leaves in the back because most of the weight is in the front. Thanks for all the help five string, I'll update when I'm done and hopefully it goes smoothly (knock on wood).

Ken89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #47
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #48
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have some extra yj springs, do you think this would worl for a bastard pack? If I just used the mains cut down like you did for the s-10/
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #49
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So far I have disassembled the two S10 packs and cut them to size. I also have everything off the rear springs and ready to be reassembled but I can't go any further until I get some new u bolts and center bolts, I had all new u bolts ready to go but they were the wrong size(thanks to autozone). So tomorrow I have to buy all the bolts which is going to run me $130, who knew u bolts were so expensive? I would have disassembled the front but I only have two jack stands so I am done for today. This isn't as cheap as I thought it would be but it's still cheaper than anything else I can find and I think it will last longer imo. Will update tomorrow with some pics.
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #50
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj98joe View Post
I have some extra yj springs, do you think this would worl for a bastard pack? If I just used the mains cut down like you did for the s-10/
You might get something out of it but probably not much, take a look at the pic on the first page of the pack all assembled and put back in the S10 leaf is so much heavier duty that's what makes the difference.
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #51
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken89YJ View Post
You might get something out of it but probably not much, take a look at the pic on the first page of the pack all assembled and put back in the S10 leaf is so much heavier duty that's what makes the difference.
that is exactly why I was looking at yj springs, I dont want to lose my supple ride lol! I heard that the s-10 springs ride quite a bit harsher. So I thought if I just add another main standard leaf It wouldnt be quite so hard. I will think about it some more.
Unread 12-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #52
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am only guessing, but I believe you would gain a small amount of lift from a main yj ply. It will help support the weight of the jeep and everything will be pushed up a little because you will see when you take the weight off the original pack that they will still arch pretty well, at least mine did.

Please post if you try the yj leafs. Do them on the rear for a test as they are the easier ones to reassemble. I would be curious to know how much lift you gain from it. And I agree you would probably still have a softer ride in the end.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #53
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok all done. 2 inches of lift gained with yj mains. the best part is the ride is pretty nice, its not harsh at all. but what a job! I am hurting in places I didnt even know I had. Turns out I had a broken spring aand didnt even know it. The pas rear eye was broken in half. when I went to cut off the bolt I was looking at the bushing. Gave it a little push and it was off.
I had to use a 4.5 inch grinder with cut off wheels to remove the body bushing bolts. I was going to use a sawzall but the hardened steel bolts and bushings just ripped the teeth off the blades. And I had one of the clamps break, that was a bad moment there. but I used one from the donor pack ,and a bolt made for a pretty conveinent rivet. It was time consuming. but it was fairly cheap. Less than 200buks total. I could have been cheaper but the guy I bought the springs from charged me 100 saying they were re arched.... total bs. and it cost me about 90 for bolts and bushings. I have since found the body bushings a bit cheaper. about 10 rather than 15.
The worst part was rebuilding the packs. a very dirty job. lots of cutting and grinding.

one bastardized pack

front height before, I forgot to take a picture of the tape measure.

rear before

front after

rear after

here's one of the broken eye, for fun.

the finished product!
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #54
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK I just took her out for a decent test run on the E-way and around the house, very minimal vibration that may or may not have been present before the lift. Overall it seems to have helped the vibrations I was getting before the lift. I can actually use the rear veiw mirror without holding it now.
The ride quality is way better than before the lift. It must be something to do with having a positive arc in the springs rather than a flat plate. I am getting a bit of steering wander, not a lot, but enough to notice. Also, no more tire rub when I turn to the stops.
Over all WELL worth the time and money, I am super pleased with all aspects of this "lift".
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #55
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great job Joe it looks awesome. I'm still in the process of finishing mine but I'm doing mine by leaving the mains on the YJ and the center bolts I have are too short to draw the pack together. The place I bought them from has been closed all weekend so I'm stuck until tomorrow.
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #56
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I use a c clamp to assemble the packs. Also a large philips screw driver as an alignment tool for the bolt hole. stack everything up. Shove the screw driver in. clamp them up. insert the screw and tighten. remove C clamp. Beat the heck out of the spring clamps. I used a head allen bolt for the pin. heck one of the new to me packs came that way.
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #57
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ken, I used a grade 8 bolt and rounded the heads off on a grinding wheel for new center bolts.

Looks good yj98joe. Thanks for adding more pics and info to this thread.

Now take a utility knife to the edge of those flairs. It's super easy to do. They cut very easy with a new blade. I drew a pencil line in the 'groove' near the edge and used that as a guide as I cut the lip off. I did all four in about 20 minutes. Dress the edges with some 80 grit sandpaper if you get less than perfect straight lines.

White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #58
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

you inspired me to do this to my yj also and it worked for me that i still had 4 of the second to longest leaves from 2 diffrent s10s that i had lowered in the past and so i used them and added more bushings and some 1" booms and i got almost 3.5" of lift here is a pic

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
artur1808
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To those that have done this, I have a few questions;

1. Did you find that the suspension flex was limited by the fact that the springs are stiffer? I understand that the ride is stiffer on road, but has it had any effect offroad?

2. What are you using for shocks after the lift? I know when I did a bastard pack on my old xj you could use shocks from other jeeps that were longer, does anybody know if this is the same for yj's? If so, what are they?

All the lifts look good so far, and thanks in advance to anyone that can help out with these questions.
artur1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was told by someone that you should only use the bolts made for the leaf springs because other bolts would be more likely to break.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.