Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #31
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

tcarp,
1. Several guys suggested to not wrap the springs tight to let them flex a little better. Yes, run a bolt over the top of the pack.
2. I used stock Gabriels on my Jeep and they worked out fine for the lift I have. I believe there are oversized shocks available for higher lifted Jeeps.
3. Ubolts, bushings and possibly longer brake lines if you go much more than a couple inches are good items to replace. I took off my track bars in the process, too.
4. If you replace all but the main spring, it is going to give you a lot of lift and it will ride very stiff. The harder ride is the trade-off for the cheap price, I guess. I replaced two leafs in the front and replaced one in the back, and it is pretty solid riding. I would suggest replacing, not adding one or two leafs to see what you get. You can always pull it back off and adjust it.
My springs were just about straight flat, so you can get an idea of how much the S-10 springs will do for you. And I have had mine on now for 2 months and they haven't drooped at all yet.
5. I painted mine after they were reinstalled with a 97 rattle can of flat black. It lasts for a long time and anytime it needs a little redoing, shoot it again.

It is a labor intensive job but you can do it easy in a day or a couple evenings.

White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #32
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the answers. The salvage yards around here sure are proud of their S10 packs, so far they're wanting $50 each. Looks like i'll be bargain hunting for awhile haha
tcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #33
malone_703
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for jumping on this topic a little late. Why would you leave the spring clamps open? Wouldn't you want to prevent the leafs (leaves?) from separating? Also, is it required to use the 2" lifted shackles or is it just an added step? Thanks for your help. I was looking at a SOA conversion but this looks a little less of a PITA (and within my skills)
malone_703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #34
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I believe it is good to allow the leaves to separate slightly as they arch as it allows more overall droop and keeps the leaves from binding against one another which can cause noise under normal flexing. Just my opinion based on what I've read.

I reinstalled original shackles after installing the S-10 leaves.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #35
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The clamps are there to keep the leaf spring from "fanning out", by opening the clamp you allow more flex but are still there to keep the 'leaves' in a nice straight stack.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm new to Jeeps and I was wondering if you have to use S10 springs or can you use anything longer than the stock YJ springs? Also what years of the S10 can you use?
Ken89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #37
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken89YJ View Post
I'm new to Jeeps and I was wondering if you have to use S10 springs or can you use anything longer than the stock YJ springs? Also what years of the S10 can you use?
I have heard of people using Dakota and ranger springs also, do a search. There is a bunch of stuff out there. The springs also news to be 2 1/2 inches wide.
N
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #38
malone_703
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right on. Thanks for your reply. Gives me something to do in the summer.
malone_703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #39
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the trucks I got my springs from were early ninety's.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #40
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How did you cut the springs off at the junkyard? I was at the junkyard today and i couldn't get them off and the place wanted too much to take them off for me.
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #41
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The guys at the junkyard cut the shackles with a torch then gave me a chop saw to trim the ends off each spring. I would think if they want to sell the springs, they would help you get them off.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #42
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be going back this week, they were really busy when I went and I dont think they wanted to talk to me about cutting off leaf springs. There are like 10 junkyards within a 15 mile radius of where I live so I should have some this week.
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #43
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj98joe View Post
I have heard of people using Dakota and ranger springs also, do a search. There is a bunch of stuff out there. The springs also need to be 2 1/2 inches wide.
N
That opens up a lot of possibilities. Ad they don't have to be longer than YJ springs, just the same width. I bought four spring packs but after all was said and done I could have made do with just two packs. I have lots of spares now.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #44
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
That opens up a lot of possibilities. Ad they don't have to be longer than YJ springs, just the same width. I bought four spring packs but after all was said and done I could have made do with just two packs. I have lots of spares now.
When you cut the main s10 leaves were they longer than the 2nd leaves? If so I could just buy 2 packs as long as the 2nd leaf has the same weight capacity.
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #45
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I cut the main S10 leaves to be just slightly shorter than the main YJ leaves. I think all the leaves will have similar weight capacity, with the longer ones, of course, holding more of the weight because they reach further out on the arch. Does that make sense? But all the leaves seem to be made of the same thickness of metal. If I remember correctly, the main S10 leaves, after being cut to length, were nearly the same length as the second S10 leaves.

You will give up a smooth ride for height. The YJ leaves flexed more over the small bumps than these S10 ones do, they don't give in to little bumps at all. My jeep rides pretty hard over small ripples in the road. Just a fyi. I don't want you to be disappointed with the ride afterward.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.