Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a great improvement with very little $$$, the jeep looks alot better now even with just a little lift

Unread 09-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I am very happy with it.

As far as updates, I removed both track bars but left the sway bars hooked up (for now). It did soften up the ride a little and at first it seemed "loose" on the highway but it actually handles just about the same as before track bar removal. Just a different feel to it now that is an improvement.

I re-tightened all the bolts and painted everything black. The front u-bolts are now threaded completely through the nuts after re-tightening everything so I didn't replace u-bolts.

The driveline vibes seemed to have disappeared, too. I think it just needed to settle in a little. So, no TC drop.

I also changed the stock rims to old school white wagon wheels (craigslist $50!!) which set the tires out about 2" further, eliminating tire rub. I was supposed to get 32's but the guy backed out of the deal so I'm stuck with my 31's.

I will be curious to see if the added springs droop after time. I bought Add-A-Leafs from JC Whitney back in 1996 or so for a YJ I had swapped a 304 V8 into, only to have the springs flatten back out after about 3-4 months. I am thinking these won't do that because they are a little beefier. And I am keeping all the extra leaves I have left over for future adjustments, if needed. It's easy enough to add or swap a leaf here or there to get the height I want.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance to snap some new ones of the Jeep with the 'new' wheels on.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I spent the weekend tearing apart a couple sets of hard top doors to make one set that had all the pieces as well as painting them so I did not get to work on the lift as planned.

I cleared my calendar for this weekend so I will be doing this Saturday and Sunday- I am looking for 3", a bit more would be fine but I don't really want to go over 4". We shall see!

And as far as sagging- I did a BP for my XJ almost 2 years ago and it sits exacly the same now as it did when I built it (after it settled, about 2 weeks or so it dropped 1/4"). The XJ has hauled 10 40# sacks of horse feed and lots of other things as well as off-road and still going strong.

I need to ditch my track bars too (I am still at stock height with 31s- no flares and tube fenders up front).
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
question, what is the best thing to do with the clamps sticking up on the front springs? I read where some guys will drill a hole and mount a bolt through there, leaving space for the springs to move. Other folks bend them shut. Opinions, please.
I found it best to drill the hole through the clamp tabs and use a bolt. I would also use a sleeve over the bolt so that it would keep the tabs in their proper place. It will also keep the springs free enough to flex without "fanning" the leaves.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am tempted to go just a little higher on mine but I need to be realistic. I can't be buying bigger tires right now and I think the higher you go the smaller the tires look.

And I have a 80+ mile round trip to work in this thing. I need it to handle well at 60+ mph. Then you get into the driveline vibes/angles, wearing out u joints, etc, etc....

I could easily get carried away jacking 'er up!
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A bit more (another 1") and I doubt you will have any issues. I DD my XJ for 1.5 years and it was at 4.5" of lift- no vibes and no TC drop or shims.
Like you said, it is pretty easy to mix and match the spring leaves. Go a bit higher and if you are not happy with the way it drives, put it back the way you have it now.

~K
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
I am tempted to go just a little higher on mine but I need to be realistic. I can't be buying bigger tires right now and I think the higher you go the smaller the tires look.

And I have a 80+ mile round trip to work in this thing. I need it to handle well at 60+ mph. Then you get into the driveline vibes/angles, wearing out u joints, etc, etc....

I could easily get carried away jacking 'er up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
A bit more (another 1") and I doubt you will have any issues. I DD my XJ for 1.5 years and it was at 4.5" of lift- no vibes and no TC drop or shims.
Like you said, it is pretty easy to mix and match the spring leaves. Go a bit higher and if you are not happy with the way it drives, put it back the way you have it now.

~K
YJ wheel base is 93.4"
XJ wheel base is 101.4"
There is an additional 8" of wheel base and drive shaft length to allow a little higher lift with an XJ. Of course, I did lift my old '84 a total of 8" by using a combination of leaf packs from my XJ, a FS Chevy and a FS Waggy, and a leaf spring conversion up front. I was surprised that it did not ride that much rougher, and I had no driveline vibrations.

five-string is approaching this prospect responsibly. He knows and understands the possibles effects of a higher lift. I would probably be the one to jack it up another inch since Ican, but then Iwould take into account what else will be affected and will need to be addressed.

Unread 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #23
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, the XJ can go higher without vibes, but he is only at about 2" of lift or so another one inch is about the limit without addressing driveline angles. A simple TC drop would be about all that is needed if he runs into any issues at 3" of lift.

I would do it. Oh wait, I am going to. SYE and drop pitman arm are the only things I am adding, along with 8.8 at the correct angle. Oh wait, I guess that is a bit more work. :-)
My SYE is going on later though, short term I will be doing TC drop, unless the SYE funds show up somehow. Could happen, I got stuff for sale.
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
Agreed, the XJ can go higher without vibes, but he is only at about 2" of lift or so another one inch is about the limit without addressing driveline angles. A simple TC drop would be about all that is needed if he runs into any issues at 3" of lift.

I would do it. Oh wait, I am going to. SYE and drop pitman arm are the only things I am adding, along with 8.8 at the correct angle. Oh wait, I guess that is a bit more work. :-)
My SYE is going on later though, short term I will be doing TC drop, unless the SYE funds show up somehow. Could happen, I got stuff for sale.
I had to laugh with your response. I am totally with you on the affordability of a project. I am still contemplating what type of lift that I would like to do once I get the darn thing running. For me, it all basically comes down to what size tires that I would like to run.

Last edited by remmons; 09-14-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Typing issues.
Unread 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I already have my 35X12.5X15 BFGs so I guess my amount of lift is so I can fit the tires I got.

I was looking for 33-35" tires on a budget and scored some nearly new 35s for cheap. I don't want to go really big so I went for tube fenders up front and trimming in the back- so I have to "lift to fit". 3-4" will get me where I need to be.
Once I am lifted I will address any issues that arise. I DD my YJ, but I have a couple other vehicles I can drive. I just like driving the YJ. :-)
Unread 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #26
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking now I could do a 1" body lift without worries. And you are right, I could go another 1" or so of spring lift because I haven't done the TC drop yet, so, hmmm......
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #27
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here' s a photo with the wagon wheels on...

And then I removed the roll bar padding...

I need to trim the flares before I decide on any more lift, via either body or springs.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
DirtyYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great to me, Hopefully I can use some of this on mine!
DirtyYj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #29
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i've been looking for a cheaper alternative to a $500 2.5" lift kit and this looks to be it....A few questions:
1. Once you get the spring packs back together, you don't rebend the spring wraps, just bolt through them?
2. What size of new shocks would be used after gaining the 3" of lift from this?
3. I assume that new bushings would be in order when doing this swap along with u-bolts, any other parts I might as well replace?
4. My stock springs on my 88 YJ are as flat as flat gets, would i want to keep the eye bolt pack and replace the remaining 3 with the s10 springs, or keep the stock and just put in one or two s10 springs in each pack?
5. Can old springs be painted so it is cleaner looking after the install?

Thanks for the help in advance. I look forward to tearing into this project.
tcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

well i think you just saved me $500 for a 4wd 4" lift. this is so easy (i imagine after the eye bolts cooperate) that i think i will attack this. i am only looking for 2-3" of lift from springs and a new set of shocks. i should be able to do that for around $200 with your bastard pack setup.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.