Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #226
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyowenby10 View Post
The guy does not know he sent me a picture and they have a military wrap but the main spring looks bent pretty bad so I thank im gonna pass on them either way. Has anyone tried ranger springs?
I'm sure, you can use pretty much any spring that is 2.5" wide.

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #227
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished up my bastard pack add a leaf/ lift.
My 89 YJ was very much like many of y'alls in that my factory leaf's were flat as a pancake. I went out to the local lake taking my son perch jerking and going down a rough dirt road I think I actually inverted my leaf's a few times. That is when I knew it was time for a change. I thought about putting a set of leaf springs on from a 90 model GMC because I knew my leaf springs for my jeep and my truck were both 2.5" wide ( I was afraid of the ride quality). That is when I jumped on the forum to see if anyone had done this before. Then ta-da! I discovered this thread! The rest was just finding S-10 leafs and a little sweat and elbow grease.

I found a set of s-10 leaf's in my local junk yard which happens to be about 1/2 mile from my house. They sold me the leaf's for $50 and they took them off for me! What a bargain. I started the project on Tuesday when I bought the s-10 leafs and went home and took them apart. I followed the pattern of one of the posters from page 6 or 7 I can't remember. I put the 2nd s-10 springs one on each of my rear packs and the main s-10 springs one on each of my front packs. Total time turnkey project was about 8-9 hours all by my lonesome....that is from the time I unloaded the s-10 springs to the time I put my last tool up Thursday evening. It took me right about 2hrs per wheel. Of coarse I have a good torch and a good set of wrenches. I am going to be adding some new u-bolts in the front because one side of one u-bolt stripped it's thread when I was tightening it back down. I drove about 5-10 miles with just three of the nuts on that particular leaf but I took it real easy and on the street. The rear u-bolts had plenty of room to add a leaf but I do recommend replacing the front with longer u-bolts because all mine just barely made it through the nuts. Other than that it was pretty easy and trouble free.

Anyway all the tools needed/ recommended have been covered in the previous 15 pages of this thread. I did start soaking all bolts and nuts with PB Blaster Tuesday at lunch before I started the project that afternoon when I got off work.

Results were, 1-1/2 inch lift in the rear and 2 inch lift in the front. All I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I think this is the answer to anyone wanting a good 1-2 inch lift with out the expense.
silleYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #228
scotterdog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had long considered doing a bastard pack for my yj, must have read this thread 5 times at least. Went back and forth between new springs and the bastard pack for months cuz I wasn't sure my main springs were sound enough to build on. Finally I just ordered a complete set of fabtech 3.5 springs and installed them. The fronts turned out great, but the back springs added way to much lift, like 5 inches! As it turns out I'm gonna have to do a bastard pack anyways using my flat stock springs to replace a couple of the arched ones and hopefully bring the back of the jeep down a couple inches. Reverse bastard pack haha!
scotterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #229
gunnandd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know its an old thread, but for anyone considering it, DO IT!! I'm short on cash at this point as well, and couldnt find a decent set of S10 or ranger springs, I setteled on a set of 2001 F150 leaves, only has 3 leafs...main, 2nd and overload....i cut the mains down for the front of my jeep, and since my springs were darn near inverted, used it as an add-a leaf between the YJ main and 2nd....Trackbar is now in the process of dissappearing, but i let it set on the frame not on shackles yet, and measuring 3 inches of lift...i imagine with the shackles hooked back up, i'll be at nearly 4"!! i imagine it'll settle down some, and be at a happy 3"....i know the ride will be rougher, but before, i could jump on the front end and hit the bumpstops...pitiful....it can use a little stiffening up...
gunnandd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.